Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 06:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times

Advertisements

Both the UT Undergraduate and Graduate Schools rated at 5th place among the top 10 schools in the nation.

In the Skills Ranking portion of the review UT Austin ranked 3rd in the nation for Sustainable design practices and principles.

In the Deans and Chairs Survey (“Deans and chairs of all NAAB-accredited architecture programs"), Austin ranked Second in the "Most admired B.Arch. programs".

Quote:
Deans and Chairs Survey - Most admired B.Arch. programs:

1 Cornell University
2 University of Texas, Austin
2 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
3 Auburn University
3 Rice University
Quote:
Every fall since 1999, DesignIntelligence — the bimonthly journal of the Design Futures Council (DFC), a Washington, D.C.-based think tank whose executive board includes representatives from some of America’s most widely known design firms, schools, and manufacturers — has published rankings of the best architecture schools in the nation.
Quote:
TOP 10 UNDERGRADUATE ARCHITECTURE SCHOOLS

1 Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
2 Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
3 California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
4 Virginia Polytechnic institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
5 University of Texas, Austin, Tex.
6 Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kans.
7 University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.
8 Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, R.I.
9 Rice University, Houston, Tex.
10 University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.

TOP 10 GRADUATE ARCHITECTURE SCHOOLS (M.ARCH.)
1 Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2 Yale University, New Haven, Conn.
3 Columbia University, New York City
4 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
5 University of Texas, Austin, Tex.
6 University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
7 Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
8 Virginia Polytechnic and State University, Blacksburg, Va.
9 University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
10 University of California, Berkeley, Calif.
2010 America’s Best Architecture Schools | Features | Architectural Record
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,449,732 times
Thanks, CptnRn. I'll have to keep this info tucked away for the future...my 9 yr old has already decided he wants to go to UT and major in architecture and minor in art

Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
I really like the Architecture library in Battle Hall. It's got a super cool ceiling.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Heh, I was a dual major in ArchEngineering/Architecture for about 30 days (over the Christmas break, actually) during the middle of my college career, but then I took one last look at the 21+ hours a semester for 6 years (and school over the summer) required to complete the degree, and changed back to straight engineering .

Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,525,405 times
Good for UT! So far it's looking like my front-runner of possible colleges. From my research, UT is consistently ranked top 5 for architecture and top 10 for engineering, the two fields I'll most likely being going into. Plus you can't beat that in-state tuition!
BTW Trainwreck, what exactly does architectural engineering entail? I'm just doing a little asking around since I'll be graduating high school soon. (My 1000th post!)

Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,413,416 times
At the time, I was studying Chemical Engineering and had an engineering scholarships which was, of course, predicated on me being in the school of engineering (doh!). About the middle of soph year I was completely burned out on engineering classes and though I might try architecture, since I had since I was a small kid thought I had wanted to be an architect. Anyway, I applied and got accepted into the arch program, but couldn't afford to give up scholarship, so went double major (at least, on paper for that Christmas break).

The ArchE is basically an engineering program similar, I suppose, to CivE, except you focus very much on buildings and similar structures instead of a wide range that would include things like roads and dams, etc. Also, you studied more into other materials. Arch, of course, has a much large aesthetic component and livability issues, among a multitude of other things. In the real world, I believe the architect designs it, but the archE will work out the details that make it actually work. Anyway, both are highly specialized and have a high standard to meet, but are actually very different from a classroom point of view. There is very little that overlaps, so the 5 year arch degree becomes a 6 year dual degree with LOTs of busy semesters.

Course Catalog (big!)
http://registrar.utexas.edu/docs/cat...cat.ug0810.pdf

Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,525,405 times
^^^ Thankyou very much! I've just been trying to get some input from people who have some experience in those fields (even if it's just a little).

Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I really like the Architecture library in Battle Hall. It's got a super cool ceiling.
Yes it does, its a beautiful old building.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
At the time, I was studying Chemical Engineering and had an engineering scholarships which was, of course, predicated on me being in the school of engineering (doh!). About the middle of soph year I was completely burned out on engineering classes and though I might try architecture, since I had since I was a small kid thought I had wanted to be an architect. Anyway, I applied and got accepted into the arch program, but couldn't afford to give up scholarship, so went double major (at least, on paper for that Christmas break).

The ArchE is basically an engineering program similar, I suppose, to CivE, except you focus very much on buildings and similar structures instead of a wide range that would include things like roads and dams, etc. Also, you studied more into other materials. Arch, of course, has a much large aesthetic component and livability issues, among a multitude of other things. In the real world, I believe the architect designs it, but the archE will work out the details that make it actually work. Anyway, both are highly specialized and have a high standard to meet, but are actually very different from a classroom point of view. There is very little that overlaps, so the 5 year arch degree becomes a 6 year dual degree with LOTs of busy semesters.

Course Catalog (big!)
Yep, its a lot of work. I started out in engineering at Univ. of Colorado and changed over to architecture, but the time I finished I had 7 years of college and a MArch from UT. But never regretted it, I love learning.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Course Catalog (big!)
During my professional career I have never met an Architectural Engineer who worked on building design, except for those that specialized in one of the following areas: structural, mechanical, electrical or plumbing. I suppose that could be changing, but these days every detail of the architecture/building construction is worked out by people with architectural degrees, except for those engineering areas I listed. Often times people specializing in security, acoustics or IT systems will also be brought in as consultants.

After thinking about this a bit I realized there are probably lots of job opportunities for Architectural Engineer's in the building component design and fabrication side of the industry as well as the construction side.

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-12-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: