Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 01:24 AM

44 posts, read 89,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&N View Post
Recently moved to Round Rock & are looking for some great Chinese food? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're open to sit down or buffet style. Thanks
Yuma on 620 by the HEB. go south on 620 it by the round rock hospital. Or you can try the China buffet at Ih35/45. By the home depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlock31 View Post
Yuma on 620 by the HEB. go south on 620 it by the round rock hospital. Or you can try the China buffet at Ih35/45. By the home depot.
The China Buffet Palace does NOT have good food. One time was enough for me...

Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM

200 posts, read 979,526 times
Found a new place last week during moving.

Sichuan Garden by Sprouts Market in Round Rock.
The reviews on there were split, you either like it or not.
I think it's a great place for spicy Chinese.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post

Been there once - decent place... did not dislike it... just prefer other places to it (mainly Hao-Hao right down the road)

Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Don't know if you ONLY want Chinese food, but Pho Hoang Off of AW Grimes and the Toll Road, next to the Chucky Cheese, has the best Pho I have ever eaten, I have eaten Pho in a lot of places. Pho is Vietnamese soup, but if you like Chinese you will probably like it. I have never eaten their other foods there, but they have typica asian/american fusion food, such as chicked fried rice and such. But if you go there you really have to get the Pho, it is amazing. When I am starting to get a cold, I high tail it to Pho Hoang, order a number 10, and put lots of chili/garlic paste in it. It clears the sinuses and makes you feel 100 percent better.

Too bad it's not cold very often In Austin. I hardly ever order steaming bowls of soup in the summer.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
We're a fan of Hao-Hao right next to Round Rock High... the new Beijing Express at Old Settlers & Sunrise is pretty good for cheap, quick takeout. The restaurant in the Gattiland shopping center (35 & 79) - the name of it skips me right now... that's very good food but a couple dollars more expensive than the others. Their Sunday lunch buffet is AWESOME. Otherwise, we've tried 7 or 8 Chinese restaurants we didn't like.
Ok, now that we live here I have tried a few of these places and wanted to add my views. The one at Gattiland is good but not great. Bought a large order there when my son had a cold. The General chicken was good. I have to try Hao Hao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
I'm also a big fan of Fire Bowl in La Frontera. You can pick your own stir fry or order from the menu. I love the General Tso's Chicken. Spicy with lots of fresh broccoli.
Not good at all imo, very bland, I had to add salt to my dish just to give it flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdysMom View Post
Hands down - China Wall in the Hastings Center
pretty good but not 5 stars, I'd give it a 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post

I bought lunch there today and it was really bad. The fried rice is orange and has no flavor. The sweet sour soup tasted like dish water. The egg drop soup was very thick and slimey. Won't ever go back. A lady waiting for her order said the Hao Hao by the RR high school is much better. I will try them next time.

Has anyone tried Pho Hoang next to Chucky cheese? I am reading raved reviews about it. Will try them next time and post back.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Has anyone tried Pho Hoang next to Chucky cheese? I am reading raved reviews about it. Will try them next time and post back.
Pho Hoang is Vietnamese not Chinese. They serve Pho and Vermicelli and rice dishes. My husband and I used to eat at the original off of Burnet quite a bit and it was excellent. I've tried the Round Rock location a few times next to Chuckee Cheese and it is excellent also. I still think they make the best Pho but it's probably because Pho Hoang was the first place I ever tried Pho.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:09 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Pho Hoang is Vietnamese not Chinese. They serve Pho and Vermicelli and rice dishes. My husband and I used to eat at the original off of Burnet quite a bit and it was excellent. I've tried the Round Rock location a few times next to Chuckee Cheese and it is excellent also. I still think they make the best Pho but it's probably because Pho Hoang was the first place I ever tried Pho.
I had never heard of PHO, but I googled it and it sounds wonderful. A good Pho broth should be clear I read not cloudy. I heard both Pho Hoang and Hao Hao has good Pho, need to try them too.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I had never heard of PHO, but I googled it and it sounds wonderful. A good Pho broth should be clear I read not cloudy. I heard both Pho Hoang and Hao Hao has good Pho, need to try them too.
Pho is the national dish of Vieatnam or so I have heard. It is a great meal on a cold or hot day. The broth is steaming hot and warms you to the core on a cold day like today. I usually add alot of chili sauce, hoisin sauce (it's kind of sweet), jalapeno peppers, sprouts, and lime. You can get either a small or a large bowl. I can usually barely finish the small bowl. Be warned though, the iced coffee at Pho Hoang is very strong. I think it has double of triple the amount of caffeine that you would find in ordinary coffee.

I have tried the Hao Hao in South Austin off William Cannon and it was very good also.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
And after you check out the pho, you should give banh mi a try. French baguette stuffed with either Vietnamese sandwich meats or a choice of different meats like bbq pork, some cilantro, pickled carrots, jalapenos, cucumbers, and a swipe of mayo mixed with soy sauce. All for about $3-4.

Baguette House in the Chinatown Center as well as Cafe De Bella (Target shopping center at Ohlen) are both pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin