Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Figure out where you are going to work first and then find a place to live near there, so you don't have to do a cross-town commute. Traffic is a problem here if you have to do that.

Once you know where you are going to work then post a request again and people can steer you to some good neighborhoods with a reasonable commute. There are good neighborhoods all over town and only a few that you probably want to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

249 posts, read 650,095 times
Well I am a nurse, currently I am scoping out the internet for school nursing positions. I have also been in contact with some school nurses from all over Texas and they have been directing me in my search. I sometimes miss the more clinical side of nursing, so I would not totally discount a hospital job. Problem is I have a 19 month old, so I refuse to works nights and I hate the thought of being away from her for 12 hours at a time! My husband works for Verizon, but he intends on starting a Physical Therapist Assistant program at Austin Community College. For this reason we will prob rent at first, I might be the only one working. I have looked at some apt complexes on Rent.com and the rents are very reasonable, we just don't know were these complexes are and well as you all know anything looks great in pictures ! Right now what we are thinking of doing is securing 1 years worth of rent upfront, so that will lessen the stress of a housing issue. That way my hubbie can complete the program and I can hopefully work as a school nurse ( oddly enough the cost of living here is ridiculous and school nurses in texas seem to be making like 10K less ! )
We did think about buying something small and on the cheaper side, but I'd rather do it right rather than having to deal with selling later to buy what we really want.
we in our late 30's we will need to find a Christian church close by, we like dining out, movies, taking our daughter to the park, going for walks... the usual family stuff. we are not looking for a young crazy crowd, nightclubbing or anything like that. I have read alot of posts on RR and it seems to be a good fit for us. We are planning on coming out in March and see what it has to offer.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM
F&N

24 posts, read 77,610 times
vkvidal, We are in our mid thirties & just moved to RR. When you are here definitely check out Celebration Church in Georgetown (right next to RR.) Seemed very family oriented & everyone we talked to was extremely helpful & friendly. Everything you described sounds like the same things we were looking for when moving here & we decided on Teravista.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 PM

249 posts, read 650,095 times
Thanks F&N def will check out Celebration Church. Is Bastrop far from the RR area? I know their district is hiring but wasn't sure how far of a commute it is.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
I would expand your search to Cedar Park in addition to Round Rock. It's just West of Round Rock and has some nice apartment complexes. Altea at Silverado in Cedar Park is a very nice complex, but there are quite a few good ones. I think Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings use to be better to use than rent.com, but it's been a while since I've used them.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Bastrop is a fair commute from Round Rock. It's Southeast of Austin, and Round Rock is north.

Check out Georgetown while you're at it. Just north of Round Rock (about 8 minutes from south Georgetown to north Round Rock - used to drive it every week).

Renting first does seem to make sense in your circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin