Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:57 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,271 times

Advertisements

We have been searching for a home in Austin and as far as Lakeway and everything in between preferred first then Cedar Park/ Leander anywhere where we can have a private backyard and build a pool in it with a little room left for the pooch and patio.
The home must have gorgeous hills or canyon views like those of crystal falls area, barton creek, etc etc too many too list.
What is hard to find is this in a new home builder or existing home for $350k and less.
We found a builder in Crystal Falls that offers an amazing view but the house was too small. We've been looking by Zilker Park and the homes are in the millions.
Looking for a private backyard with gorgeous views of hills or canyons.
Home is either new or existing. If existing must be updated and room for a pool in both and about 3000 square feet more or less.
Can anyone help? Suggestions of areas? We don't know all the towns in between from Austin to Lakeway and would love someone to help out.
A realtor is an option but hoping for people to help out first as the two I spoke with already have just been sending generic emails out.
Been also looking on Realtor.com and other sites and visiting all of the new home builders around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:43 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
350k seems like too small a budget for buying such a house near Austin. If you could bump it up closer to 500k, I'd say you might have luck in Lost Creek or Cat Mountain, but at 350k, it is probably best to stick to the outskirts like Leander or further out.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Yeah, 3000 square feet for $350K is only $116/sq ft. I'm not sure you'll really find anything with great views for that price. Maybe the Northwest Balcones area, off Spicewood Springs Rd & Scotland Well or Talleyran. Other than that, you'd be looking much farther out.. if the space and lot size being huge is important, maybe out to Lago Vista or Spicewood.

Otherwise, you'll need to either up your price or reduce the sq footage requirement.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM

116 posts, read 362,301 times
I agree with the other posters. We live in Twin Creeks, which is in Cedar Park, and our house has a canyon/hill view. It is 3700 square feet and we built it for 525k. I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for for less than 500k. You can have the house without the view, but can't get the view in there for that price.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:20 AM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
Have you looked in Steiner Ranch, River Place, and the Hills of Lakeway?

Old 11-15-2009, 02:08 AM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
You might also look south of Austin near Dripping Springs at Belterra and Highpointe or north near Georgetown at Gabriel's Overlook

Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
You might find something in Spicewood for that price but I doubt it. It typically takes at least $500k for a view like you are describing in the Austin area.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
The home must have gorgeous hills or canyon views
And you think this should exist for $350K?

"Gorgeous" views cost money, sometimes lots of money. I think your expectations are not reasonable.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Okay, this is a challenge. The trick is going to be the pool and the price range, because a pool in the kind of soil that is likely to have the kinds of views you appear to be talking about is going to be expensive to build and, of course, is going to add on to the price of the house.

Another question is where are you commuting to? Off the top of my head I'm thinking Spicewood/Dripping Springs, but they're in the other direction from Lakeway and might be too long a commute.

A quick look at the MLS shows that your best bets are likely Lakeway and environs, Dripping Springs, Driftwood, Lago Vista (but that's pretty far out, not as the crow flies, but as you can drive it), Volente, some parts of Cedar Park and Leander and Liberty Hill. However, I had to go up to $375,000 in the search to get some of them - perhaps they could be talked down to $350,000, perhaps not - and some of those were short sales or foreclosures to get it that low. That's if you want canyon Hill Country views.

So, it's maybe possible, but it's going to take some squeezing and some serious searching, not just an automatic MLS search (though that's the start, of course). And a really good handle on the market and what's reasonable and what's not, in case you need to go the route of asking someone who doesn't have their house on the market if they're interested in selling.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM

126 posts, read 788,374 times
You might find something in Grandview Hills. Prices are down now so you might find something with a large yard and a canyon view for your budget or slightly higher than that. It is a small closely-knit community near 620/2222. Not sure if houses that match your description are on sale but you could probably drive by to check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin