Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM

532 posts, read 1,387,882 times

Advertisements

We found a dog wandering on our street and we just can't keep him ourselves. We've posted about it in our neighborhood, but no responses.

He's black, medium-to-large-sized, male, fairly thin, and could be a German Shepherd mix. He's old and definitely has arthritis. He's very friendly and approachable, so it seems like he was well taken-care of and trained at some point. But he is definitely underweight now. I gave him a regular bath last night, and my wife is taking him for a flea bath later today. We're guessing he might have been driven to our neighborhood and just dropped off.

My wife took him over to PetSmart and he has an ID chip, but it was never registered, so we can't track him that way.

We called the Austin Humane Society and they do not take strays. Even though we like Town Lake Animal Center (it's where we adopted our dog from), we're afraid that given his age and the number of other dogs to choose from there, he doesn't stand a good chance of being adopted. And they do put dogs down after a certain time.

So I guess I'm asking for suggestions about where we could place him. If anyone here wants him, that would be great. (You can PM me.) Or if anyone knows of some place that takes dogs like I described, that would be perfect, too.

I’ve attached a picture of “Kevin” so you can see what a sweet old boy he is.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Found a dog - needs a good home - suggestions?-kevin.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,035,290 times
Hooray to you for taking him in.

Some places you could try:

Austin Blue Dog
Blue Dog Rescue

Austin Dog Alliance
Austin Dog Alliance - Home

Austin Mixed Breed Rescue
Forgotten Friends - Mixed Breed Rescue

German Shepherd Rescue
Austin German Shepherd Dog Rescue

good luck!

He sounds very adoptable, Town Lake Shelter will of course take him. They will try to adopt him and many rescue groups go to the shelter to find dogs to take out and put into their rescue program.

ca

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,806,899 times
Don't take him to town lake! They euthanize A LOT of animals.

Call a local neighborhood vet in the area or nearby, and ask them to check the chip. They may know the dog. Otherwise, they will probably know the no-kill agencies and rescues that might take him.

Contact Kinky Friedman's dog rescue organization: Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch

Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,129,051 times
Good for you for taking him in. We did the same thing with a Sheltie that we found in our neighborhood a few years back. We found the owner about 3 days later after posting flyers all over the neighborhood.

Anyway, we adpoted our dogs from From The Heart rescue. You can call them to see if they would take Kevin in!

Welcome to From The Heart Rescue

Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM

532 posts, read 1,387,882 times
Good news - we found the owner of "Kevin"!

Based on the ID chip number we gave them, Town Lake tracked down the phone number and owners (who happened to adopt him from them over 7 years ago). It was actually someone a couple of streets over in our neighborhood. We had him agree to meet us at PetSmart to get the dog its shots and also a flea bath before we gave it back to him. We asked him point-blank a few times about how he took care of him and if he really wanted to keep him, because if he didn't, we told him we'd find someone who did. His explanations about the weight (vet told him Kevin needed to lose weight because of his bad hip), dirty (escaped through the back fence and ended up at the creek and woods), fleas (the anti-flea pills he was taking didn't work well with his hip meds), and how he escaped from their yard all made sense - at least enough to know that he does take care of him the best he can. And now he knows that we really care about his dog being healthy, too. So hopefully, the only time we see Kevin from now on is when he's out taking a healthy walk (and maybe on a playdate with our pooch).

So at some level at least, it all ended up okay.

Thanks so much for all the encouragement and great links to safe rescue operations. I am bookmarking this page in case I ever need them.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,035,290 times
Great detective work!

I hope "Kevin" has a long and healthy life with his owners.

Great karma for you!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,779,632 times
I hope the owner takes better care of him. Older dogs have a special place in my heart.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,875,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I hope the owner takes better care of him. Older dogs have a special place in my heart.
Totally. The thought of an older dog losing their connection with their pack just breaks my heart.

Good job, Paulmmm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin