Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times

Advertisements

I very strongly think so.....for one, the entire state is bursting with new people, and has been for about a decade now. The national recession has actually sped the process up a bit.

Anyone have any stats as to the possibility that we are indeed experiencing the most pop increase numerically ever in Austin, as well as Texas?

The other question is WHY? Like moths to a flame, the masses are as fixated now on Texas. Is it the warm weather? Lax tax climate? Low housing cost/cost of living? Job opportunities?

And lastly, do things really suck that bad in the places people are COMING from as they move to Austin? I really think people are far more repelled from the places they are leaving than attracted to Texas/Austin in general.

Think of it.....there are no viable growth magnets in the sunbelt anymore. Vegas is experiencing a horrid slowdown now, Florida's construction, retail, and housing sector has no more jobs, Arizona has double digit unemployment, and California's statehouse is one paycheck(Tax levy) away from declaring bankruptcy.....

Perhaps Austin is now getting all the people that would have relocated to those other places that are struggling mightily right now....

Whatever it is, it is sure a crazy, mixed-up scene out there.....and something tells me that neither Austin or Texas is going to be the default economic/exodus salve for the suffering nation....if only because at a CERTAIN point, which we have reached early this year, there will be more people coming here than jobs are created.....

Simple math...

Last edited by inthecut; 11-21-2009 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM

73 posts, read 148,109 times
Jesus, man, why do you always assume that
A - half the country wants to relocate to Austin
B - all of this is due to the recession, and
C - this is going to unequivocally ruin everything once good about the city

Seriously, all your posts say the exact same thing! Don't you have an ulcer by now?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Every school district in the Austin area commissions demographic studies every 1-3 years apart. Pick a district, go to their website, hunt around, and you can find a 100-200 page report to tell you about that particular area.

I have studied these for several school districts, especially LTISD. I think they show ongoing, but slowing growth. Leander ISD might be the best to look at since they have faced continous growth. But even they are slowing a bit.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
We've slowed a little this year, but not much. They still are building a 6th elementary and a 3rd middle school out here although they are holding off on the 2nd high school for now.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:59 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
We've slowed a little this year, but not much. They still are building a 6th elementary and a 3rd middle school out here although they are holding off on the 2nd high school for now.

Isn't it wonderful what a sanctuary area in a sanctuary state, will do for you.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:07 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Every school district in the Austin area commissions demographic studies every 1-3 years apart. Pick a district, go to their website, hunt around, and you can find a 100-200 page report to tell you about that particular area.

I have studied these for several school districts, especially LTISD. I think they show ongoing, but slowing growth. Leander ISD might be the best to look at since they have faced continous growth. But even they are slowing a bit.
sounds right....the trajectory is still there, but the motor has slowed....I would have thought that they were getting record amounts of families, but hard to say.....

Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Isn't it wonderful what a sanctuary area in a sanctuary state, will do for you.

I don't get this.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I almost didn't either, although I think I do now but that's not entirely the reason because the majority of people moving here aren't illegal.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I almost didn't either, although I think I do now but that's not entirely the reason because the majority of people moving here aren't illegal.
In fact, I think I read a posting on Austin CD a few months ago that the majority of people moving to Austin are actually coming here from other places in Texas (not from California, NY, the rust belt, New England, out of the country, etc.). I believe it was one of the realtors who posted that (AustinSteve maybe?), but I don't remember for sure.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
Austin is a great city so I am not surprised that everyone is moving there. I just hope Austin can remain great with all this growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin