Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM

130 posts, read 385,167 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a property that is REO owned. As with few REO's this seller
is fine with the inspection although this is foreclosure. So, need some
solid recommendations for the inspection. The house is pretty new, 2006
built. Let me know if you have anythign in mind.

It would be great if you want to comment something on "DOS" & "DON'Ts"
of buying the foreclosure property. (REO). I feel this is nothing different
than usual house - since, the same contract-counter-offer-accept-inspect
cycle exists.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,012,370 times
Look at our thread per sq footage, especially Austin Steve's comments....you can find all those answers there.....my best advice, being a former agent, is to do your own homework, ala Caveat Emptor. You already had it right. Same as any other house per those steps. Only difference is that the inspection is king here. Some problems may not manifest for a few years, even if you don't see them, so you must have a thorough inspection job.

The good news is non-foreclosure properties can have major problems too, and need the same diligence. Foreclosures often have the connotations of former owners ripping out appliances and trashing the place, though much of that, even if it does exit, can just be cosmetic. The beauty of a licensed inspector is that he can tell you the difference between cosmetic and structural, and IF structural, how much it would take to rectify the problem....

Just do your own homework, and all should be well......

Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
IMO, Nothing beats hours spent personally examining the property. See that sq footage thread ITC refers to, if you have any doubts about the importance of that.

Since you are selecting the inspector, go and meet the inspector at the property before they start. Then hang out the whole time and look over everything. Take pictures.

If you have any doubt about the foundation, termites, etc. go ahead and pony up for independent inspections from a structural engineer or pest company. It's money well spent. If you provide the seller with these reports, they are legally required to disclose them to future potential buyers... so if there IS something wrong, you can get additional leverage with these inspections.

Unless you are really familiar with the neighborhood, visit the property during different times - at night, during the day on a weekday (when people would be at work), on the weekend... etc. You'll be amazed what you can find out that way.

Since it was a 2006 build, you've got at least 2 sources for square footage measurement -- building documents/permits, and tax appraised square footage (see traviscad.org or wcad.org, etc). Check them.

You can also use the tax site to check every home on the street for rental/investor owned. If the property address doesn't match the mailing address for the owner, and it doesn't have a homeowners exemption... then it's probably a rental (or foreclosure). Good thing to know.

You may also want to check with the HOA (if there is one), to see if there are any unpaid dues. Sometimes the bank will neglect those.

Last inspection company I worked with was 360 inspections. They did a thorough job, but only having used them once (and not a REO) I wouldn't take this as recommendation over anyone else's. Perhaps someone who does more of this can provide one.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM

how do I check in wcad.org? I do not have the property id or unique number..? anyhelp?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,782,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
how do I check in wcad.org? I do not have the property id or unique number..? anyhelp?
Sent you a DM. Just click on the search off the home page, and look up by address. Sometimes it doesn't work when you include "drive" or "loop", so if you get no results, leave that off.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM

Unfortunately, the property has invited many potential buyers. I'm in multiple offer situation. ;-)
I am enjoying this ride..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: