Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times

Advertisements

One thing....a 14% unemployment rate in the LA metro.....WOW.....I had no idea that Southern Cal was approaching Detroit levels till I pulled up this article from Reuters.....people are simply fleeing an abject lack of job opportunities same as Michigan, whereas before it was simply unaffordable home prices....

Any comments?

Per the article...

"The city's current unemployment rate is probably the highest since the Great Depression of the 1930s, Frank said, and outpaces California's 12.5 percent because it was more vulnerable to the housing crisis and relied heavily on the movement of goods."

U.S. cities grapple for new jobs in economic upswing | U.S. | Reuters

Last edited by inthecut; 11-24-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 PM

380 posts, read 642,663 times
Yes, democratic state politicians bankrupted California. Californians then bail for the opportunities and low costs of Texas, with its economic greatness built on conservative principles, then in turn still elect democrats. Go figure.

Only one major Texas city (Ft. Worth) is still reliably red, partly thanks to the Californian diaspora.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I think I heard that somewhere too. But you know what really makes me angry? Lately I keep seeing all these little documentaries and news stories on how economies in India and China are just booming with all sorts of manufacturing jobs, etc...How do they expect to spoonfeed me this garbage and be happy about it while our unemployment numbers are skyrocketing because all possible jobs that can be moved overseas or across the border are and Americans are suffering. I'm just not going to be happy about that.

And yes, I agree with the above as well. People who move from liberal strongholds that are in the toilet right now move to places that aren't liberal strongholds, or places that are somewhere in the middle and then turn the new place into where they came from, voting for the same people with the same principles that tanked states like California and Michigan, etc...which then change what was desireable about where they moved to.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I think I heard that somewhere too. But you know what really makes me angry? Lately I keep seeing all these little documentaries and news stories on how economies in India and China are just booming with all sorts of manufacturing jobs, etc...How do they expect to spoonfeed me this garbage and be happy about it while our unemployment numbers are skyrocketing because all possible jobs that can be moved overseas or across the border are and Americans are suffering. I'm just not going to be happy about that.

And yes, I agree with the above as well. People who move from liberal strongholds that are in the toilet right now move to places that aren't liberal strongholds, or places that are somewhere in the middle and then turn the new place into where they came from, voting for the same people with the same principles that tanked states like California and Michigan, etc...which then change what was desireable about where they moved to.
I'll try to steer this thread back to "LA/CAL specific" recession-prodded exodus, but for now, indeed it would be wise to ask WHY there are such a lack of job openings in LA/California.

The good news, sort of, is that the maquiladora concept is dead, as, not only can China make things cheaper, even with the container runs across the PAC to Long Beach, but they have a far higher skill set. All the over the border folks had to offer was their physical labor and assembly skills, and China can get all of that as well from their peasant interior areas...to sum up, Mexico is not a manufacturing threat anymore, though the poor, legal and illegal, that still stream over here are a huge weight on our resources, from emergency hospital care to bringing wages down hugely, along with available jobs, in the construction industry, while contractors look the other way. (Bad news for Texas, is the huge hispanic demographic in our state can cause the same burden as Cal if we have a state fiscal crisis, which isn't beyond possibility)

The bad news, is that we have outsourced SO much, for SO long, that there is little left to kick start our employment when times get tight. Indeed, China's economy is growing now at 10% a year, and each % takes away from our job base. It is not a sole cause, but certainly a major one. A scenario where they grow at the expense of us declining can't stand for long anyway, if only because at some point, we will not have any money left to buy our own products....I presume China could care less, and would let us just fester away, as they focus on Asia and Europe, and switch dollars to euros and yen, cutting us off completely from the frankensteins monster we created ourselves....

And how does southern cal fit in this? Very much so......manufacturing has largely left the building already in the midwest and east, but not, until now, in cal, which is our largest manufacturing base, believe it or not. Now, outsourcing is eating into southern cal, as THEIR manufacturing base is jobbed out to China now, just leaving the Port of Long Beach left. All we can do now is stevedore our own goods off the port. Will container jobs be the only ones left?

So now we know WHY southern cal residents are fleeing in droves to Texas and Austin, like mice running from a sinking ship.......Texas seems to be the last ship standing. Let's hope it can handle the exodus from all points E-W-N-S without jacking up our own UR into double figures as well. BTW, Houston, which was mentioned in many of those silly top 10 lists as the most viable economy, is approaching 9% unemployment now.

I already mentioned that if Austin is at least 2% lower UR-wise than other metros, they will come, even if Tex approaches or gets into double figures itself......Can we foresee a time when folks dealing with a local UR of 12% flee to a Austin UR rate of 10%?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
"And how does southern cal fit in this? Very much so......manufacturing has largely left the building already in the midwest and east, but not, until now, in cal, which is our largest manufacturing base, believe it or not. Now, outsourcing is eating into southern cal, as THEIR manufacturing base is jobbed out to China now, just leaving the Port of Long Beach left. All we can do now is stevedore our own goods off the port. Will container jobs be the only ones left?"

I think that's what I was trying to get at Thanks for clarifying that point a little better. My husband like to tease me about being Edith Bunker when I start trying to tell a story and he'll even say "Can you get to the point, Edith?"

Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
I'll try to steer this thread back to "LA/CAL specific" recession-prodded exodus, but for now, indeed it would be wise to ask WHY there are such a lack of job openings in LA/California.

The good news, sort of, is that the maquiladora concept is dead, as, not only can China make things cheaper, even with the container runs across the PAC to Long Beach, but they have a far higher skill set. All the over the border folks had to offer was their physical labor and assembly skills, and China can get all of that as well from their peasant interior areas...to sum up, Mexico is not a manufacturing threat anymore, though the poor, legal and illegal, that still stream over here are a huge weight on our resources, from emergency hospital care to bringing wages down hugely, along with available jobs, in the construction industry, while contractors look the other way. (Bad news for Texas, is the huge hispanic demographic in our state can cause the same burden as Cal if we have a state fiscal crisis, which isn't beyond possibility)

The bad news, is that we have outsourced SO much, for SO long, that there is little left to kick start our employment when times get tight. Indeed, China's economy is growing now at 10% a year, and each % takes away from our job base. It is not a sole cause, but certainly a major one. A scenario where they grow at the expense of us declining can't stand for long anyway, if only because at some point, we will not have any money left to buy our own products....I presume China could care less, and would let us just fester away, as they focus on Asia and Europe, and switch dollars to euros and yen, cutting us off completely from the frankensteins monster we created ourselves....

And how does southern cal fit in this? Very much so......manufacturing has largely left the building already in the midwest and east, but not, until now, in cal, which is our largest manufacturing base, believe it or not. Now, outsourcing is eating into southern cal, as THEIR manufacturing base is jobbed out to China now, just leaving the Port of Long Beach left. All we can do now is stevedore our own goods off the port. Will container jobs be the only ones left?

So now we know WHY southern cal residents are fleeing in droves to Texas and Austin, like mice running from a sinking ship.......Texas seems to be the last ship standing. Let's hope it can handle the exodus from all points E-W-N-S without jacking up our own UR into double figures as well. BTW, Houston, which was mentioned in many of those silly top 10 lists as the most viable economy, is approaching 9% unemployment now.

I already mentioned that if Austin is at least 2% lower UR-wise than other metros, they will come, even if Tex approaches or gets into double figures itself......Can we foresee a time when folks dealing with a local UR of 12% flee to a Austin UR rate of 10%?

us manufacturing is actually quite strong. There are many articles which have actual numbers around us manufacturing. Our manufacturing employment is going down but our manufacturing value is going up. This is partially because of china but mostly because of productivity increases. Do you want to stop automation?

http://www.uschina.org/public/docume...ufacturing.pdf

Old 11-24-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"And how does southern cal fit in this? Very much so......manufacturing has largely left the building already in the midwest and east, but not, until now, in cal, which is our largest manufacturing base, believe it or not. Now, outsourcing is eating into southern cal, as THEIR manufacturing base is jobbed out to China now, just leaving the Port of Long Beach left. All we can do now is stevedore our own goods off the port. Will container jobs be the only ones left?"

I think that's what I was trying to get at Thanks for clarifying that point a little better. My husband like to tease me about being Edith Bunker when I start trying to tell a story and he'll even say "Can you get to the point, Edith?"
So cool for someone to reference AITF......for such a huge force in TV, I thought it was largely forgotten.......I'd like to know what Archie would think of outsourcing!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM

313 posts, read 786,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Yes, democratic state politicians bankrupted California. Californians then bail for the opportunities and low costs of Texas, with its economic greatness built on conservative principles, then in turn still elect democrats. Go figure.

Only one major Texas city (Ft. Worth) is still reliably red, partly thanks to the Californian diaspora.

2008 Per Capita income rankings:

CA: 8th
TX: 27th.

Imagine that.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

uh, Democratic state with Repulican leadership. Plenty of blame to go around. And the OC is incredibly republican.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:31 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
One thing....a 14% unemployment rate in the LA metro.....WOW.....I had no idea that Southern Cal was approaching Detroit levels till I pulled up this article from Reuters.....people are simply fleeing an abject lack of job opportunities same as Michigan, whereas before it was simply unaffordable home prices....

Any comments?

Per the article...

"The city's current unemployment rate is probably the highest since the Great Depression of the 1930s, Frank said, and outpaces California's 12.5 percent because it was more vulnerable to the housing crisis and relied heavily on the movement of goods."

U.S. cities grapple for new jobs in economic upswing | U.S. | Reuters

I see no Austin mentioned in the article..So how did you come up with that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin