Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,750,669 times

Advertisements

Hasn't Austin always carried the reputation as being a non-pretentious, laid back, and non-materialistic town? Since I have been in Austin now for about 5 months, I have been amazed at the number of luxury cars on the roads, plastic surgery ads in local magazines, and high end night clubs. Not even to mention the mind boggling number of multi-milllion dollar houses covering the west side of town.

I don't really think this is a good OR bad thing, just really surprising to me. Is this a relatively new phenomena or something people have just ignored and pretended was not apart of the Austin they know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,261,273 times
I would say that's more Westlake than Austin. Not hating, just not me or my (central) Austin friends.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 PM

475 posts, read 1,640,135 times
Ya, It's not the 70's any more.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
It's gotten more yuppish and materialistic.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,017,367 times
Well, depends what part of Austin you are talking about...I don't think that hardly describes the metro in general. Much of the east side is crime-ridden and struggling, much of the NW is mega-apartment buildings for days where a large number of people just getting by live, and a fair share of the south part of the city is working class or bohemian...I do think Austin is getting a large injection of wealth from outside the metro, and has been getting that for a number of years. While Dell wealth, amongst other tech entrepreneurial wealth, was generated here, I would say a very large % came from outside the metro, with California leading the way.

This trend has been a long time coming, and you can say it started when Dell took off in the 90's, around RR, and has vectored ever since, attracting many wealthy folks from all over the country, especially tech orientated folks...

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,020,129 times
Expensive cars and homes are not new. Austin's technology employers, especially Dell in its early days and when it was located in Austin, produced tremendous wealth in the 1990s. Developments like Rob Roy and Davenport Ranch have been around a long time.

Many things developed over the years like better restaurants and upscale entertainment venues like One World Theatre.

But Austin is still sloppy and laid back. The person driving a Porsche might be wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:41 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,550,395 times
It isn't just Austin, it's the entire U.S. There are tanning salons everywhere and most of them look like they've been there for a long time. I actually think that Austin has very few bottle service clubs for the amount of wealthy people that live in the Austin area.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:48 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,514,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
Hasn't Austin always carried the reputation as being a non-pretentious, laid back, and non-materialistic town? Since I have been in Austin now for about 5 months, I have been amazed at the number of luxury cars on the roads, plastic surgery ads in local magazines, and high end night clubs. Not even to mention the mind boggling number of multi-milllion dollar houses covering the west side of town.
I don't know what part of town you're hanging out in, but I don't think Austin is any worse than many other cities its size when it comes to conspicuous consumption. If you really think we've got it bad, then you ought to spend some time in Dallas or Los Angeles and gain some perspective.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,457,482 times
I think Austin has a little bit of everything. That's precisely what I've come to love about this city - limousine liberals rubbing shoulders with college kids, hippies, cops, and thong-wearing eccentrics while waiting in line at an Airstream trailer in a parking lot full of BMW's, SUV's, beater VW's, and bicycles varying from $50 to $1500 to buy tacos at 2:00 a.m.

I dig this city, warts and flaws and all.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,750,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I don't know what part of town you're hanging out in, but I don't think Austin is any worse than many other cities its size when it comes to conspicuous consumption. If you really think we've got it bad, then you ought to spend some time in Dallas or Los Angeles and gain some perspective.
I have spent plenty of time in both Dallas and LA. The difference is that both Dallas and LA have reputations for being like this. Austin has the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin