Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 16,396 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently rent an apartment in north Austin. From next Jan, he will start working in south Austin (around Barton Creek) and I am "trying hard" to get a potential job in San Marcos. Our lease will expire soon so we just started house hunting but got a bit clueless. Here is the situation. Apparently he needs to work every day, but my potential job is much more flexible - probably just 2-3 days a week (well, if I make it to get the job). So I think I am fine with a bit longer commute time. We are looking for new constructions in a nice school district to raise a family. And here comes the point - my mother-in-law wants to live next to us too, which means, we are going to buy two houses at the same time, and unfortunately my husband and I need to pay for both of them. So we have a serious budget concern for each single house, hopefully less than 250K so the total will be under 500K. I have looked at some builders like Centex, KB, Lennar, but haven't got a good answer. Please help - any information is GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:27 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I know a couple of subdivisions in Buda and Kyle that will fit your budget, but it might be a longer commute. It's really not that far actually, but I guess it depends on what you want. Plum Creek is nice.

There's Grand Oaks in South Austin off Manchaca. I know the houses run about mid 200s or less. Westcreek is awesome, but you'll be hard pressed to find one much less two houses there. There are quite a few newer divisions that have popped up along Manchaca Road. You should just drive down and look.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,022,299 times
Try the Gehan development off South First and Dittmar, or Try Gabardine if you like Garden Homes. The gabardine feeds into Shady Hollow schools from the mid 100's, though probably bought up by speculators by now as that's a steal for good schools. Trulia shows everything in that development starting at around 220K, which makes me think people are "scalping" Good luck, maybe look in San Marcos, it was recently voted one of the best places in TX to raise a family by BusinessWeek.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM

29 posts, read 111,215 times
As a resident of Plum Creek, I would encourage you to take a look at it. It's a subdivision in Kyle that is built to replicate a throwback feel (detached garages, alleyways, picket fences, community festivals). However, the new construction area is quite different in look (not sure about feel) than the more established homes. The prices, however, would fall squarely in your budget range.

As for location, I work in San Marcos (right off the interstate) and it's about a 10 minute drive for me. It's about 15 minutes to South Austin.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Okay, I'm going to get yelled at by somebodoy for saying this, no doubt, but if you're first time home buyers, you really do need your own agent, even if (especially if) you're buying new construction. The person at the builder's works for the builder, represents their interests, and may not even be licensed (and thus not have the legal restrictions on them that licensed agents do). You won't get any "deals" for not having an agent, and the hard part comes once you've found the houses you want to buy - negotiations, making sure you're not taken advantage of, making sure everything goes smoothly to closing (and make sure to get an independent inspection by an inspector YOU hire, not the builder's - three inspections if you're building from the ground up, one at slab, one at framing, one just before closing).

That you're clueless at something that you've never done before is to be expected. Better to have a "native guide" your first time through the jungle!

Now, back to your question - by "near Barton Creek", do you mean down by the river or closer to Ben White?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
What time investment are you looking at for this house? Starter home to stay only 4-5 years, or more like a 10+ year house? Resale in Kyle and Buda is not great, and will probably remain not great for the time being, which means you could get a good deal right now, but if you want to resale in a 4-5 year period, you might have issues as well.

However, I've seen reports that the area should stabilize and become more popular as more is built, which means in about 10 years, it could be a hot spot and resale would be good. So, if you don't plan on staying too long, I would not go to Kyle or Buda, but if you're there for a longer period, it's a good investment.

As for the inlaws right next store... think long and hard about that as you might want them at least a few houses away, if not on a different street around the corner.

As THL said, you really need someone representing you and your mother in law whereas the sales rep might take advantage since they like to sell the lots that no one else wants, and there's a reason why no one else wants those...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 AM

658 posts, read 2,007,331 times
My daughter bought in a place beside I-35, I think it is Meadows of Buda. There is a lot of building going on still and there are many homes for sale. The pool/play area is in and has been for a couple years.

Last edited by tibbar; 11-27-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks all sooo much for the responses. Many of them have answered my questions and confusions and are really helpful. We are now interested in Buda or Kyle, based on the descriptions of the price and location. I came across a new construction in Buda by Ryland Homes and felt very interested - any specific thoughts? And how is the school there in Buda? (Seems nice from what I read on the Internet...) However we might be a bit concerned about the resale too, as FalconheadWest suggested, since we are not sure if it will be a long or short stay for us. And to answer TexasHorseLady's question, it is not really right at Barton Creek but closers to Oak Hill. We will keep looking and get back here how things are going. Thanks all in advance - really appreciate your help!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:12 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
A couple of suggestions:

1) Why not consider a duplex locate south/cental? You'd have the separate living quarters but only one loan to deal with.

2) Have your buyer's agent (like THL, I strongly encourage you to fine an experienced agent to help you) also search for homes that have a guest quarters. There is a field in the MLS search for this. It's like a duplex, but typically the second space is smaller.

3) Consider homes nearby and not next to each other, but perhaps a block or two away.

I know none of these suggestions are for new homes, but I generally think new homes are a poor investment and I encourage against it except in specific circumstances. That said, your circumstance (side by side homes) may be one that can most easily be satisfied by a new home.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks Steve! I've never thought about a duplex but will definitely start searching for one. Any further thoughts on the investment (e.g. resale) of a duplex or multifamily home? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin