Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 03:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

Are there any great places (such as light displays) or places to see (Santa Workshop) around Austin, Temple, Round Rock, Salado? Its my kids first official Christmas in Austin TX ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 05:52 AM

141 posts, read 427,855 times
There's the Zilker Park Trail of Lights in Austin - definitely worth seeing! Although a heads up - it gets crazy crowded and the trail is pretty long. People will be shoving into you and it can be a bit overwhelming.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:32 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
it gets crazy crowded and the trail is pretty long. People will be shoving into you and it can be a bit overwhelming.

Ugh! If that is true I cannot imagine taking the kids to see it.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I've heard Bethlehem in Burnet is worth going to. Georgetown has lots of Christmas things to do as well. Not sure about Salado but I'm sure there's something going on there. One of these yrs. before my daughter gets too old to appreciate it, I'd like to be able to get tickets on the "Polar Express" (Cedar Park Steam Train). It makes a stop to the "Bethlehem in Burnet" and they serve hot chocolate and tell stories on the train, etc...

Old 11-26-2009, 10:16 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Take a drive through the hill country, the leaves are turning and its getting real pretty.

The drive from Oak Hill to Driftwood, to Wimberley, to Canyon Lake and then the River Road to Gruene is a really nice drive. Have lunch at the Grist Mill in Gruene, great food and views.

Another nice drive is Oak Hill to Marble Falls. I don't know of a good place for lunch out that way though.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:18 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
There's the Zilker Park Trail of Lights in Austin - definitely worth seeing! Although a heads up - it gets crazy crowded and the trail is pretty long. People will be shoving into you and it can be a bit overwhelming.
Well, there is no official "Trail of Lights" this year... they moved it across the street and made it much smaller. It's also called something different.

Anyway, I experienced crowds but never shoving or the like at the ToL.. parking was terrible, but I see no reason not to take the kids... that's what it's for, after all.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 91,450 times
If you're out by the lake (Travis), Lakeway has a Trail of Lights that's pretty and probably not as crazy crowded.

City of Lakeway, TX - Official Website or call the Lakeway Activity Center for more info (261-1010).

Old 11-27-2009, 06:18 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Johnson City has a really good light display. Go down to the Riverwalk in San Antonio and take a boat ride and look at all the lights. Between Austin and SA (closer to SA) there are are couple of trails of lights you can drive through. Boerne on the other side of SA does a Santa type thing,old town stlye so does Fredricksburg I believe.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 42,392 times
The best things are Main Street Bethlehem in Burnet (1st 2 weekends in Dec.), Zilker Park (but it can get crazy as mentioned), & the courthouse in Johnson City, as well as touring the LBJ Ranch in Stonewall. For something a little less crazy, Marble Falls has a cute "walkway of Lights" next to the lake.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
I second the Johnson City suggestion. The lights are amazing, all the people milling about are super friendly, and there's a great restaurant there called the Silver K Cafe that's worth a stop at. My in-law's place is next to LBJ State Park and it's just beautiful out there - any time of the year.

Schlitterbahn has a holiday extravaganza that I've heard is really awesome, though I have not visited it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin