U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,520,166 times

Advertisements

Looks like even people in the great city of New York acknowledge how awesome Austin is.

Quote:
THE city’s unofficial motto, “Keep Austin Weird,” blares from bumper stickers on BMWs and jalopies alike, on T-shirts worn by joggers along Lady Bird Lake and in the windows of independently owned shops and restaurants. It’s an exhortation for a city that clings to eccentricity, even in the face of rapid development — downtown Austin, for one, is being transformed with a fleet of high-rise condos and a W Hotel, scheduled to open late next year. But this funky college town, known for its liberal leanings and rich music scene, has little to worry about — at least as long as its openhearted citizens, with their colorful bungalows and tattoos, do their part to keep the city endearingly odd. As one local put it: “As long as Austinites keep decorating their bodies and cars, we’re going to be fine.”
Read the article at: 36 Hours in Austin, Tex. - NYTimes.com

Stay weird Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 5,403,887 times
But they reiterate the same thing over and over again.....misleading people into thinking the entire metro is like that, while the vast majority is as suburban looking as any sunbelt metro.

If anything NYC would be the weird capital of the world. Just one walk down manhattan will overwhelm you with far more "weird" people than a year in Austin. Also, there is a negligible ethnic diversity in Austin, while NYC has been the melting pot of the nation for several hundred years.

Sounds like the typical PR fluff you see in any major newspapers' travel section. My Chicago Tribune did a similar fluff piece last march during SXSW.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,118,589 times
...and of the 23 destinations mentioned in the article, 19 were south of the river and the other 4 were on the southern end of downtown.. Maybe they should have gone further north to visit the Senator Bob Bullock Museum, then hit up the nearby Luby's afterwards....

Last edited by jobert; 11-27-2009 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,153,977 times
I thought it was a decent and accurate article about taking a vacation here. I'm waiting for THL to jump in with the "Keep Austin Weird" being co-opted rant.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM

2,522 posts, read 5,403,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
...and of the 23 destinations mentioned in the article, 19 were south of the river and the other 4 were on the southern end of downtown.. Maybe they should have gone further north to visit the Senator Bob Bullock Museum, then hit up the nearby Luby's afterwards....
I mentioned once that I thought Guadalupe was the most authentic "weird" area, as it has been around the longest, was never even close to gentrified, and has many businesses that have been around for decades, along with the fact that no one mentions it in any travel pieces like the above

Old 11-28-2009, 08:11 AM

6,208 posts, read 16,055,181 times
I think it's a decent article, though it treats a journey to Austin somewhat as a "disney-esque" vacation. I don't think anyone needs to don western-wear to enjoy Austin. I think the "keep Austin weird" was laddled on too thick. I don't have one of those bumper stickers or shirts, do you?

Nonetheless, I think the reader of a vacation recommendation article is in search of an escape and so I think the article, in that context, rightly points out some of the available activities. I also like how it provides an actual sample itinerary of things to do, or checklist of thinks to see, though I agree that the list is incomplete and focuses on South Austin. The Bob Bullock History museum would be a "must do" on my list and I always recommend it to clients.

But I did feel somewhat like I was reading a characterization of Austin that was a bit cartoonish.

Steve

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM

20,795 posts, read 39,776,427 times
I actually think that "Keep Austin Weird' was treated a bit more legitimately in this piece than I usually see on this board, and, yes, it was a decent article, albeit not perfect or comprehensive by any means (but what newspaper article could be?).

I do have a "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker around here somewhere, but it's one of the original, free, non-trademarked ones from the original batch Red made up on his own dime.

Bob Bullock didn't ever hold the position of Senator, I don't believe, by the way.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,118,589 times
I know he was a VP candidate with George Bush Sr. the second go around (I think). My comment about him and Luby's was dripping with sarcasm. I spent about 5 minutes in the place before contemplating the taking of my own life out of sheer boredom. I should have been more direct in my previous post, sarcasm does not translate well in the written word.. . I go to the capitol or on the campus if my grandparents are in town, and I can't expose them to anything strenuous or too exciting lest they have a heart-attack...

anyone here from Aggieland? It's just like the George Bush Library in College Station (take a pillow with you).

Old 11-28-2009, 04:04 PM

7,668 posts, read 16,930,586 times
I think you are thinking of Lloyd Bentsen, and he was the democratic VP candidate against Bush Sr. / Quayle. The democratic presidential candidate that year is scarcely worth mentioning.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,153,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I know he was a VP candidate with George Bush Sr. the second go around (I think). My comment about him and Luby's was dripping with sarcasm. I spent about 5 minutes in the place before contemplating the taking of my own life out of sheer boredom. I should have been more direct in my previous post, sarcasm does not translate well in the written word.. . I go to the capitol or on the campus if my grandparents are in town, and I can't expose them to anything strenuous or too exciting lest they have a heart-attack...

anyone here from Aggieland? It's just like the George Bush Library in College Station (take a pillow with you).
Really? We went to the Bob Bullock a few months back for the Galveston exhibit and found it fascinating. I guess to each his own. Have never been to Luby's though.

BTW, he was Texas Lieutenant Governor from 1991–1999.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or