Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 38,302 times

Advertisements

Hello All...Currently, my husband works for one of the big 3 but he has passed all the mandatory testing for the APD and he is slated to start the academy sometime between May - Sept 2010. We have 3 children ages 8, 6 and 2. My hubby has been to Austin but I have not..we will be coming in Jan/feb. Has anyone else moved from the detroit or surrounding area? what has been your experience? has there been any surprises you didn't plan on? Also, if anyone else is APD or going to be, we would love to chat....thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:24 PM

97 posts, read 264,007 times
I am not from Detroit, but I've been there.

COME ON DOWN!

What part of Detroit are you in? Where in Austin do you plan to live? With little ones, I hope you're checking out schools--

Old 12-13-2009, 09:13 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,862 times
will the last person to leave the Detroit metro please turn off the lights?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
I am not from Detroit, but I've been there.

COME ON DOWN!

What part of Detroit are you in? Where in Austin do you plan to live? With little ones, I hope you're checking out schools--
Nice to see someone from Austin thats nice and encourages people instead of trying to discourage them

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
will the last person to leave the Detroit metro please turn off the lights?
Haha that made me laugh, and ya moving out of Detroit is always a great idea

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,404 times
The sad part being, Metro Detroit is actually a very beautiful area that has been plagued by the demise of the domestic automotive industry. There's wonderful suburbs with great schools and affordable real estate.

I left Michigan not for a job, but for other reasons; though I do know plenty of people that have been unemployed for a very long time that are now looking to get out of there. It's a mess and I don't see any hope for a comeback in the near future.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
The sad part being, Metro Detroit is actually a very beautiful area that has been plagued by the demise of the domestic automotive industry. There's wonderful suburbs with great schools and affordable real estate.

I left Michigan not for a job, but for other reasons; though I do know plenty of people that have been unemployed for a very long time that are now looking to get out of there. It's a mess and I don't see any hope for a comeback in the near future.
Yes, it is a beautiful area and there is great suburbs, but the reason i said anytime is a great time to leave right now is the fact its a mess and there isnt hope for a comeback any time soon, just like u said. it is quite sad, and sad seeing deteriorating neighborhoods like in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Yes, it is a beautiful area and there is great suburbs, but the reason i said anytime is a great time to leave right now is the fact its a mess and there isnt hope for a comeback any time soon, just like u said. it is quite sad, and sad seeing deteriorating neighborhoods like in this video

At the same time, get out of the D metro, and you'll see one of the handsomest places on earth....and the UP, and the copper harbor area,
looks like Scotlands Moors...need I mention all the lakes and fishing, the great lakes recreation and beauty, AND Sleeping Bear dunes?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,149,832 times
I'm not from Metro Detroit either but my wife went to U-M and we lived in Ann Arbor and Northville during our time there (in the 90s).

I loved the area, the suburbs really are beautiful and the people were just outstanding. I still have a few friends that I keep in touch with and I try to visit whenever we can. Most people don't realize how nice the area actually is because when anybody mentions MI they immediately think of Detroit.

Having said that, I would never move back! The winters are way too harsh (and I love snow) and Austin is our home now.

Good luck with everything and Welcome to Austin! I think you'll love it here.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM

362 posts, read 1,044,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post

I do find it funny that the first sign centers on a Farmer's Market. The Eastern Market in Detroit is absolutely incredible (I do not believe that sign was pointing in that direction), and one of the true gems of the city.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,515 times
There are still people living in Metro Detroit that don't have a gun pointed to their head??? If there truly is a hell in this universe, Detroit would have to be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajividen View Post
Hello All...Currently, my husband works for one of the big 3 but he has passed all the mandatory testing for the APD and he is slated to start the academy sometime between May - Sept 2010. We have 3 children ages 8, 6 and 2. My hubby has been to Austin but I have not..we will be coming in Jan/feb. Has anyone else moved from the detroit or surrounding area? what has been your experience? has there been any surprises you didn't plan on? Also, if anyone else is APD or going to be, we would love to chat....thanks everyone!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: