Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times

Advertisements

I called a realtor and encountered this a few months ago. He wanted to charge me the same for showing more than five homes. he made it sound like it was a big deal getting me into the homes. I reminded him I could have called each individual realtor of those five homes and seen it for free. He didnt like my response . (this was in san antonio) He got a little nasty. I hung up on him. He continued to send me a few rude text messages. That was the last I heard of him.

scamster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM

44 posts, read 89,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom View Post
Just recently came back from Austin.
The Realtor I met was pretty much a HIGH PRESSURE guy. If he showed me more than 5 houses a day- he wanted me to sign an exclusive- which I did!
When I told him I was not going to make my decision now ( 3 days mind you) he wants me to pay him $300 for showing me properties.
Lived in 3 states - bought nad sold many houses- never heard of such a thing.

I appreciate some input. THANKS
Well you just signed a deal where as the realtor now get a commision no mater if you buy a property any where in Austin and dont use him or not for as long as the exclusive contract has not expired. Never sign anything with a realtor without reading over night. Good luck

Old 12-13-2009, 10:33 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlock31 View Post
Well you just signed a deal where as the realtor now get a commision no mater if you buy a property any where in Austin and dont use him or not for as long as the exclusive contract has not expired. Never sign anything with a realtor without reading over night. Good luck
Those buyer agreements let you out. Just make sure you put it in writing in accordance with the termination clause of the agreement.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM

22 posts, read 42,797 times
No way. In living here I've never been charged by a realtor and I've been on tours with plenty. Don't fall for it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 AM

80 posts, read 164,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
I called a realtor and encountered this a few months ago. He wanted to charge me the same for showing more than five homes. he made it sound like it was a big deal getting me into the homes. I reminded him I could have called each individual realtor of those five homes and seen it for free. He didnt like my response . (this was in san antonio) He got a little nasty. I hung up on him. He continued to send me a few rude text messages. That was the last I heard of him.

scamster.
You should have gotten his name and reported him to the Realtors Association, of which every licensed realtor is a member.
They are serious people and would have done something about it. Maybe a reprimand or something along that line.
See, realtors don't want their reputation to be smirked anymore than it is. Most realtors are hard working people, but along the way someone like this comes up.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Those buyer agreements let you out. Just make sure you put it in writing in accordance with the termination clause of the agreement.
There are definitely ways to terminate the buyer's rep agreement, just as there are ways to terminate the listing agreement. Yes, get it in writing on the appropriate form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlock31 View Post
Whether or not this is the case depends on the actual terms of the buyer's rep agreement and what boxes are checked and if a particular area was entered into it. (Not quite as cut and dried, in other words.)

And, yes, never sign anything with anyone (not just Realtors) without reading it thoroughly. Heck, I even read boilerplate before I sign!

Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
You should have gotten his name and reported him to the Realtors Association, of which every licensed realtor is a member.
They are serious people and would have done something about it. Maybe a reprimand or something along that line.
See, realtors don't want their reputation to be smirked anymore than it is. Most realtors are hard working people, but along the way someone like this comes up.
This is correct. The forms for filing an Ethics Complaint are online at abor.com.
Realtor Ethics - Austin Board of REALTORS®

Steve

Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM

57 posts, read 150,773 times
I think its outragous to charge you for just showing homes. You need to read the Buyers Representation form you signed. The typical Buyers Rep form from the Texas Association of Realtors explains compesation pretty clearly. The Buyers Agent gets paid on the sale of the home at the closing by the seller. Moderator cut: no advertising allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-29-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 126,996 times
Default Contract Language

Just read the contract you signed. By law, you are required to pay whatever you signed up for. If it is not in the contract-there is no liability. You are correct-it is not the normal procedure but procedure and contracts are two different things.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM

55 posts, read 164,653 times
Oh my my. What are we gonna see next? Commission from the buyer? The realtor I worked with was so nice that, we had to convince him quite a bit that we were gonna pull the trigger on a home after seeing (only) 9 homes. He kept asking us 'are you sure? we could keep looking' Dump this joker and get yourself a better agent. They are supposed to work on your behalf and get you the best home. And forget about the exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: