Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

FBI data
That has nothing to do with your assertion about unreported crime. Those crime indexes are based on real crime, not imaginary, unreported crime. I expected Georgetown, TX, a town of, what? 40K population to be lower... Almost 8.5 million people live in NYC, so you're taking to account the South Bronx with the Upper West Side, East New York along with the Financial District.

Fact is any area you would go in NYC as a visitor is not crime free, but you will feel completely safe. My uncles has lived in NYC for 63 years and never seen or been a victim of a crime... Can you believe that?

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That has nothing to do with your assertion about unreported crime. Those crime indexes are based on real crime, not imaginary, unreported crime. I expected Georgetown, TX, a town of, what? 40K population to be lower... Almost 8.5 million people live in NYC, so you're taking to account the South Bronx with the Upper West Side, East New York along with the Financial District.

Fact is any area you would go in NYC as a visitor is not crime free, but you will feel completely safe. My uncles has lived in NYC for 63 years and never seen or been a victim of a crime... Can you believe that?
Most of my relatives living in NYC have been mugged or burglarized at least once. While on the subway I witnessed a man who reached inbetween the doors before they closed and rip off a womans necklace.

My gf at the time got pickpocketed, luckily she kept a fake wallet for thieves to steal. Her sister and her friend were mugged but they did beat off the mugger. Except for when my relatives got burglarized, no one bothered to report muggings because what is the point?

Im reasonably sure crime is significantly higher in NYC, although specific areas will have much higher crime rates than others.

Also the wall streeters rob us regularly, they just get bailouts instead of going to jail.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Quote:

And I grew up in a bad part of LA growing up and was never assaulted but I wouldn't call it safe or crime free. I live in Williamson County and I know I am much safer here than I was in LA as a kid or in Seattle when I lived there. And I'm sure the indexes take into account the population.

We all make our own choices as to where we want to live and do. I am perfectly happy where I am and I wish you only the best where ever you are.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:

I go to New York once a year, and have never had a problem with crime or even rude people. Of course, I don't go down to the docks at 2am.

My boyfriend grew up in NY, he moved to Austin when he was 29. He was mugged his first week here while walking downtown. He had never been a victim of crime growing up in NYC.

Personal stories aside, crime is everywhere, in every city, but you can avoid it by avoiding bad areas and being smart. Period. There is only so much that the police can do. When it comes to most crimes, you being SMART prevents more crimes than anything the government can do. A

re the police in Williamson county hard asses? Does this prevent crime? I don't know. No one can really say because there are studies that support and deny the whole "tougher on crime is a deterrent/not a deterrent".

I don't think it is fair to compare Austin to Round Rock though. Austin has 8 times the population as Round Rock. Population DENSITY does lead to more crime. Not to mention the fact that people who live in Round Rock GO TO AUSTIN to commit their crimes. Sort of hard to do a bar crawl in Round Rock. How many people that are picked up for PI on 6th street, actually live in Austin Proper? Or even Travis County?

I have lived in Round Rock, Austin, and Pflugerville. Every time I have moved it was based off "I like this house, I can afford this house". I have never looked at crime statistics. I have felt equally safe wherever I have lived (And I lived on RIVERSIDE and I35 for god's sake) because I act smart and protect myself. So to answer the OP, no, I don't take that into consideration.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 12-15-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
Quote:
I go to New York once a year, and have never had a problem with crime or even rude people. Of course, I don't go down to the docks at 2am.

My boyfriend grew up in NY, he moved to Austin when he was 29. He was mugged his first week here while walking downtown. He had never been a victim of crime growing up in NYC.
Your story does not prove or disprove anything. Statistically, you have a greater chance of being mugged in NYC than you do in Austin. Just because it didn't work out in your boyfriend's favor doesn't make the probabilities any different.

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that people who live in Round Rock GO TO AUSTIN to commit their crimes.
And how would you definately know this?

Personally, I agree that the police are too overzealous in Williamson County.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Your story does not prove or disprove anything. Statistically, you have a greater chance of being mugged in NYC than you do in Austin. Just because it didn't work out in your boyfriend's favor doesn't make the probabilities any different.

And how would you definately know this?

Personally, I agree that the police are too overzealous in Williamson County.
The OP was asking a specific question as to whether the crime in an area affected your opinion of buying a house there. The above, and almost all other posts in this thread, are just an opinion from the poster stating them. I don't definately know anything. All I know is how I feel, based on my experiences and observations, and how that translates into my house buying decisions. That was what the OP asked.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
I've learned that if you get stopped in Wilco, they remember your vehicle so it's best you abide by the signs because they will be profiling you regardless going forward. And they love to cruise my neighborhood. I think some of them live there or they have some "trim" in the vicinity.

either way I appreciate them watching my house while I'm out.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM

252 posts, read 724,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The OP was asking a specific question as to whether the crime in an area affected your opinion of buying a house there. The above, and almost all other posts in this thread, are just an opinion from the poster stating them. I don't definately know anything. All I know is how I feel, based on my experiences and observations, and how that translates into my house buying decisions. That was what the OP asked.
Quote:
Not to mention the fact that people who live in Round Rock GO TO AUSTIN to commit their crimes.
No offense, but it really should not be that difficult to know the difference between a fact and an opinion. I learned that in the second grade.

It's fine if you want to offer an opinion but don't bring it forward as a fact when you meant it as an opinion.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
No offense, but it really should not be that difficult to know the difference between a fact and an opinion. I learned that in the second grade.

It's fine if you want to offer an opinion but don't bring it forward as a fact when you meant it as an opinion.
I always love it when people start out a sentence with "no offense" and then they immediately act like a complete ass. You know as soon as you hear the phrase "no offense" that the person is about to be insulting.

So this is how everything went down. We are all having a casual conversation about whether or not Williamson County's reputation plays into the fact about whether or not you move there. After several posts of people expressing their opinions, myself included, I make a statement that most people in Williamson county go to Austin to commit crimes, specifically DRUNK AND DISORDERLY CRIMES. Hence my statements saying "How many people get arrested on 6th street are actually from Austin AND how hard is it to do a bar crawl in Round Rock". But because I used the word "fact" in a completely off hand manner, then TriWing acting as the grammar police calls me out. When I go "my bad" I meant it simply as an opinion, that is not good enough for TriWing. He then makes an insulting statement to me, not to help the thread along or contribute, but just to be an ass.

Good for you TriWing!!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
My next-door neighbor is an attorney and during a conversation about WilCo he gave us this advice: If you are in Williamson County and a police car attempts to pull you over, don't stop until you're back in Travis County". I laughed at the time, but since then I've heard some stories that make me wonder if he was actually serious ... lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin