Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 09:54 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,624 times

Advertisements

@ Cth1086 --- I'm sorry for what happened to you and for all the disbelief you're receiving in the wake of your post. I've heard countless stories similar to yours, all from WilCo. Whether or not someone wants to live there might end up being a function of how much freedom they're willing to give up in the name of "safety." I, for one, would never live in the generic hyper-conservative suburbs that comprise Williamson County.

So, in response to the OP, the crime rate doesn't affect my decisions to the extent that I would choose to live in WilCo, but it does affect my decisions about where to live within the city of Austin. I would never want to live near St. Johns east of 35, for example, nor would I choose to live near Rundberg. Those areas, if not personally dangerous, are aesthetically impoverished thanks to the fact that so many people there fail to have any sense of civic responsibility or appreciation for the rights of others.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times
Did you move in with perfect strangers?
Were you not aware of the laws in regards to certain substances?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
@ Cth1086
So, in response to the OP, the crime rate doesn't affect my decisions to the extent that I would choose to live in WilCo, but it does affect my decisions about where to live within the city of Austin. I would never want to live near St. Johns east of 35, for example, nor would I choose to live near Rundberg. Those areas, if not personally dangerous, are aesthetically impoverished thanks to the fact that so many people there fail to have any sense of civic responsibility or appreciation for the rights of others.

I'm not sure I understand the stand. Are you saying that Austin city limits is different in regards to the law?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I'm not sure I understand the stand. Are you saying that Austin city limits is different in regards to the law?
I don't perceive Austin as being different from, say, California in terms of legal priorities, but it's definitely different from Williamson County and Texas in general. The specific case of selling drugs, even pot, near a school is one about which I know nothing as far as law enforcement, but Williamson County is far more harsh in the punishment of possession of a controlled substance and other minor offenses that might be treated as a simple infraction in Travis County. And one is far less likely to have their car or person searched without probably cause in Travis County vs. WilCo.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
And one is far less likely to have their car or person searched without probably cause in Travis County vs. WilCo.
I have a hard time with this one. Not being searched without probable cause is an AMERICAN right bestowed by the constitituion. Although you see Williamson county as a police state that harshly waterboards 3rd graders for forgetting to do their math homework, that doesn't change the fact that police officers all over the country, including Williamson County, have to follow the Fourth Amendment. Now are there some cops who cross the line and do stuff they are not supposed to be doing. Sure. But then you go to court and you fight it. Police are human beings, they are not perfect.

Any evidence that is found during these illegal searches that you say ALL Williamson county police officers seem to revel in, would be inadmissable in court. Law Enforcement officers are not dumb. If the Wilco cops are so desperate to throw everyone in jail, like you say they are, then they wouldn't give you ever tool to overturn a conviction based on a technicality (such as subjecting you to illegal search and seizure).

So basically you are trying to have it both ways. First Wilco cops are these predators, seeking out the guilty and innocent alike so they can attack them with night sticks using their clever knowledge of the law to entrap and bully poor pot heads like CTH1086. But then when someone points out "yeah, but you WERE breaking the law" then the Wilco cops are bumbling buffoons, who only manage to catch people when they are shredding the consitution.

I always wonder about the maturity levels of CRIMINALS who complain about the cops CATCHING THEM. Cth1086 admits that he smokes pot and that he was aware his roommate was a dealer. Regardless of whether or not pot is dangerous or even should be illegal is not the question. IT IS ILLEGAL. Cth1086 was guilty of breaking the law at some point in his past, was unwise in the choice of his associates, and got busted. How is that the fault of the POLICE? At what point does he assume some responsibility. My understanding from his many confusing posts is that he got charged with a misdemeanor, which will be expunged from his record when he completes parole. And he goes to drug awareness classed that Wilco (yes, evil old Wilco) pays for. But not because CTH1086 did something wrong, oh no no no, it's because the cops were just nazis. It sounds to me like he got a slap on the wrist and the opportunity to straighten up and fly right. (And remember, he originally told us his life was ruined because he was convicted of a felony)

By your logic Topan-yi, if i was caught speeding, it's not my fault for having a lead foot, it's the cops fault for being so nosy and desperate to ticket people? Surely such a thing would only happen in Wilco, never in Travis county.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Although you see Williamson county as a police state that harshly waterboards 3rd graders for forgetting to do their math homework...
I laughed out loud at that one.

Not going to debate further as there's not much point, we just have different perspectives and I only have anecdotal evidence (i.e., not hard data.) But I did want to give you some props for having a good sense of humor.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Don't forget that there are many thousands of folks living within the boundaries of WilCo INSIDE the City of Austin. The best of both worlds, perhaps?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
i was CHARGED with a felony NOT CONVICTED (thats what probabtion is) if i fail probation then i will go to prison and be "convicted" of the felony.
If you are on probation, you were convicted. If violating your probation would send you to "prison", you are on felony probation.

Being "On Probation" means that the sentence resulting from your conviction has been "probated" and you are allowed to remain free with conditions instead of serving the time.

I'll just say this, same as I'd say to any screw up, victim, or whatever you are:

Your best thinking and your best decisions led to your current circumstances. Your thinking doesn't seem to be changing, so you're in store for more of the same most likely. You picked the wrong people to hang with. That was you decision and your mistake. Don't blame the system.

Steve

Old 12-18-2010, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
That was you decision and your mistake. Don't blame the system.

Steve
He's not blaming the system for suspicion of him due to his probably low-class friends.
He's blaming the system for convicting him of a crime he didn't commit. If his guilt by association would have ONLY taken him to jail, he would have nothing to complain about.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:50 AM

4 posts, read 15,726 times
Quote:
I always wonder about the maturity levels of CRIMINALS who complain about the cops CATCHING THEM. Cth1086 admits that he smokes pot and that he was aware his roommate was a dealer. Regardless of whether or not pot is dangerous or even should be illegal is not the question. IT IS ILLEGAL. Cth1086 was guilty of breaking the law at some point in his past, was unwise in the choice of his associates, and got busted. How is that the fault of the POLICE?
By your logic Topan-yi, if i was caught speeding, it's not my fault for having a lead foot, it's the cops fault for being so nosy and desperate to ticket people? Surely such a thing would only happen in Wilco, never in Travis county.
This thread is not discussing whether or not we deserve what we get if we commit crimes. Of course if we do something illegal, we are in the wrong, and legally deserve to have criminal charges filed upon us. But that's not what this discussion is about! It's about the radicalism Williamson county expresses towards crime, thus leading to unfairness and wrong by the system. Cth1086 is not saying that it's anyone's fault but his for being busted.

Quote:
And he goes to drug awareness classed that Wilco (yes, evil old Wilco) pays for.
FYI, I was placed on probation for a felony burglary of a building. I have never been caught (nor have I used) any illegal substances. My charge was for "burglarizing" a building. And every month, I payed Williamson county to be drug tested. I also payed Williamson county for a class about substance abuse and how it affects me. I have never failed a UA.

When I was 17, I got placed on a deferred adjudication 3 yrs. probation for a state jail felony burglary of a building. I stole a laptop from a school, and returned it less than 24 hours later. This was in Houston county. I moved to Leander, TX. and transferred my community supervision to Williamson county. As soon as i transferred, the wilco probational counselor evaluated me. Do you do drugs? Did you have problems with family or friends in your childhood? Have you ever wanted to hurt anyone? No, No, and No. As far as I told him, I was a perfectly happy, law abiding citizen. And he then "recommended" (read:required) me to take three classes about getting your life back on track, good decisions, dont do drugs, etc. I get charged monthly for UA fees, even if I do not take a UA that month.
I think this board has failed to discuss Williamson county's being a revenue bowl.

I have heard countless stories, being on probation, doing community service, of how wilco is nothing but criminal. How it screws up thousands of lives that might need nothing more than reformation. Not only from the victims, but from probation officers, community service officials, judges in other counties, even wilco sheriffs/police. I had a centerville, tx. police officer once tell me about wilco. Turns out, he was a wilco cop for 20+ years. He told me that he averaged 8 arrests per day, and told me that it was all about Williamson county wanting to keep it's infamous and nationwide known reputation as being one of the hardest-on-crime counties in the U.S. How every official of every department was pressured by it's superior and governing body/official to keep that reputation.
Three days ago at the hearing to terminate my probation early, the district judge jokingly laughed with myself and my personal attorney, about how I was lucky the hearing was with Houston county, and not wilco, which as she put it "prosecutes to the FULLEST extent of the law."

Williamson county cops not only fight and stop crime, they look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin