Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:36 PM

96 posts, read 298,690 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles (yes I know sigh), and will be 24 years old tomorrow.

I own my own web based company and gross around $80K-100K a year (80K these days). But I am growing quit steadily.

RANT STARTS HERE===================================

I am sick and ****ing tired of L.A. I work my ****ing ass off and I can't even find a parking space at the grocery store. Yes I live in a nice and cheap $1500 a month apartment in Toluca Lake (Yes that is cheap for the neighborhood I live in believe it or not). But in reality it's a **** hole compared to what you guy's pay for half the price. No pools and 100+ years old, bad plumbing (crap comes out every time I turn out the faucet)

I can't stand the people here, there is no one my age. Everyone is 35+ years old in this neighborhood. This is my biggest gripe I want to be around people my own age, and the girls/women forget about it. You have your choice of snobby gold diggers or whiney wannabe actresses. All of which are in their 30's. Dating here absolutely sucks for a 20 year old!

L.A. has been good to me, I learned a lot here. I use to work in the movie industry doing set design and props until I started making a lot of money via the internet. Now I have no need for the movie industry (By the way the movie industry sucks unless you like waking up at 3am and working 15 hour days for $350 being pushed around like a pawn on a chess set).

All in all Los Angeles is for a 35 year old making 250K+ a year and already has a few investments elsewhere. This place is not for someone starting off in life! Trust me I know, try writing the state of KALIFORNIA a 20K check for income tax. Only then will you cry, that's $20,000 that you have to write on the check.

I am fed the **** up with this ****ing state, the illegals the illegals the illegals, the traffic, the crowdedness everywhere, the poor but expensive housing, the $10 beers and $15 martinis, the sales tax, the income tax!

Corrupt government, food stamps to illegals, traffic, smog (which I never really cared about strangely). I am fed the **** up. Loosing hair every night over this bull****!

RANT ENDS HERE====================================

I want midwest women, $1 beer nights, BBQ, and honkytonks. I want a quality life! I am far too young and make too much money to be in this **** hole. I want real women who drink beer, shoot pool and eat BBQ.

And no I'm not looking for a job in Austin, I will be bringing jobs to Austin! REAL JOBS not the push broom and shovel type. Tech jobs and a potential for future growth. I'm bringing my business and inventory with me.

I was born and raised conservative, I don't fit in here anymore. Not one bit.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHICH AREAS TO LIVE. I will be visiting in February I want to be around people my age, and I want a NICE cheap apartment so that I can save up and buy a house by the time I'm 28.

Please accept me Austinites, I will not try and turn Austin into L.A. I will turn Austin into a better Austin and not liberalize it.

I'm a conservative, and that's why I have 30K in my bank account, a growing business, and a real future but not here in California.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Remove name

Old 12-14-2009, 08:47 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
You sound pretty ridiculously self-absorbed, so likely downtown Austin would be a good fit for you. I have found that a few of the people who live downtown wear douchy sunglasses, don't shave Austin and seem to hang out in bars talking about themselves. However, most of the people in Austin are pretty laid back, kind and care about the community...

You only mentioned how much money you make 3 or 4 times.

I lived in Austin about 17 years.. so a couple of clues---

1) Austin is widely regarded as the most liberal city in Texas. If you are looking for a conservative city try Dallas.
2) No one here cares how much money you make.
3) I'm not sure that drinking beer, and eating BBQ makes women somehow more real
4) You make Austin a better place with your contributions to the community. No one gives a rats ass about your presence, and your presence alone doesn't improve the city.
5) There are plenty of illegals in Austin.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM

96 posts, read 298,690 times
1) I want a city that has a lot of people my age.
2) I don't care if they care, I just don't want to cut any more ridiculous checks to the state of California.
3) A women that drinks beer and eats BBq is more real than a women here sipping water eating vegan food. I guess you have never taken a girl living in L.A. out for dinner? You don't know what your missing
4) Oh really, so If I hire around 6 people at 50K a year that isn't enough of a contribution? Then what is?
5) The illegals in Austin don't have the rights that they do here in L.A. which is what gets to me most.

Born and breed in California, and fed up.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-09-2013 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 11:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrat View Post
1) I want a city that has a lot of people my age.
2) I don't care if they care, I just don't want to cut any more ridiculous checks to the state of California.
3) A women that drinks beer and eats BBq is more real than a women here sipping water eating vegan food. I guess you have never taken a girl living in L.A. out for dinner? You don't know what your missing
4) Oh really, so If I hire around 6 people at 50K a year that isn't enough of a contribution? Then what is?
5) The illegals in Austin don't have the rights that they do here in L.A. which is what gets to me most.

Born and breed in California, and fed up.

Tony.
Dont listen to mlassoff he is somewhat ornery.. doesnt like austin anyway.

Overall though you probably still should live downtown or off south congress. Austin is starting to become more pretentious but not even close to LA.

There are plenty of condos with nice amenities, 1500 will get you a really nice apt/condo downtown. The railyard which is an older condo, but in a good area is 900 on craigslist for a 1br.

There are a lot of down to earth people and plenty of bars vs clubs. where you can shoot pool, eat wings and have a cheap beer.

People are much less materialistic here, but like everywhere, you can still find plenty of shallow people

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Austin isn't the midwest. You won't find 'midwest women' here. Try Minneapolis.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Dallas! You were meant for Dallas!

good luck

Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Dallas! You were meant for Dallas!

good luck
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Man, I've missed these forums. LOL.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,441 times
Default Go to Dallas

Please stay in L.A. Its not that we dont shake our collective head at the nonsense in California; its that this is Texas and your chest beating sounds just like L.A...The prior postings are on target...if you must come to Texas go to Dallas...Austin is a wacko red-based Commie hot bed that is not part of Texas

Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Sorry, my 'net is whonky & must have double sent this on.

Last edited by Runemaster; 12-15-2009 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin