Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

I may be visiting Austin for a few days in January. What would you recommend that I see? Are there any charming, walkable neighborhoods with shops? I'm interested in museums, bookstores, gardens, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM

97 posts, read 264,049 times
I would want to know where you're coming from--

Travis Heights = walkable neighborhood; BobBullock = museum; Bookwoman = local bookstore; Zilker gardens = gardens (or the Umlauf Sculpture Garden).

There are certain "must-see" places (e.g., Barton Springs). Could you give us a little more info? Kids? Special interests?

Welcome!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
SoCo (South Congress) area as walkable neighborhood. Or West Campus, that's REALLY walkable. State Capitol, UT Musuems (Blanton, Ransom, LBJ), Bullock Texas History museum for musuems.

Zilker park, Ladybird Lake trail, Barton Creek Greenbelt, Barton Springs (all in the same area) or Hamilton pool (farther out) for parks/gardens.

Lots of live music clubs and iconic restaurants should fill the rest of your trip.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,783 times
3 days in January:

Mount Bonell
Zilker Botanical Gardens
take a picture next to Stevie Ray at Auditorium shores
Bob Bullock Museum
or just hit the many parks around town and enjoy the scenary

Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I may be visiting Austin for a few days in January. What would you recommend that I see? Are there any charming, walkable neighborhoods with shops? I'm interested in museums, bookstores, gardens, etc.
Unfortunately we dont really have those. Austin is not really a sight seeing city

There are pockets of it here and there but you dont get much bang for your buck.

We have virtually no museums, bookstores or gardens.

The closest area that has a high concentration of interesting stores is south congress.

Also west 6th in the "garden district" has some stuff

Downtown has some shops on 2nd street, but not cute old style ones.

There is an area around 38th street that has a bunch of houses that are now stores close to the hospital complex (baby boutiques and such).

Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinAustin View Post
I would want to know where you're coming from--

Travis Heights = walkable neighborhood; BobBullock = museum; Bookwoman = local bookstore; Zilker gardens = gardens (or the Umlauf Sculpture Garden).

There are certain "must-see" places (e.g., Barton Springs). Could you give us a little more info? Kids? Special interests?

Welcome!
I would be coming from cold Michigan. I've never been to Austin and would like to see the best sights in a limited amount of time. What do you recommend for places to stay in charming neighborhoods (vs in the burbs)? No kids are coming. I have interests in art, music (blues), etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:41 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
OK, it's not like we are totally devoid of culture here! I'd recommend the Hotel San Jose on SoCo:

Hotel San Jose

For art, it's the Austin Museum of Art. The Laguna Gloria location on 35th is worth visiting for the setting alone and the adjoining Mayfield Park.

Austin Museum of Art:

You should also check out the Blanton Museum:

Blanton Museum of Art : University of Texas at Austin

If you're interested in Texas history, the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum is interesting and they have a great IMAX theatre if the weather is bad.

The Story of Texas

For blues, check out Antones: Antone's Nightclub » Home and The Continental Club.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:07 AM

147 posts, read 572,687 times
Check out this thread. I think she did it right.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:31 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Depends on whether you actually want to do stuff or just see stuff. In other words, if Austin was a pottery studio, do you want to just stand and watch the artists, or do you want to put on an apron and get your hands dirty?

If it's the latter, bring your swimsuit because you'll be swimming at Barton Springs (it's wonderful in the winter - water temp is the same year round). Polish your dance moves and head to the Broken Spoke. Bring your walking shoes and walk up Mnt Bonnell (small hill really, but it's name "Mount" Bonnell) and take in the view of Lake Austin and the hills.

And I'd recommend the Bullock History Museum, some live music downtown, a stroll down S. Congress Ave, a meal at Guerros and a walk around Town Lake.

Welcome, and have fun.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 12-18-2009 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: append
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin