Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 PM

471 posts, read 403,789 times

Advertisements

We are excited about returning to Texas! We have been researching the SW Austin area; looking for a newer home (2002+), with 2300-2700 SF, 3-4 BRs, 2BA, a one-story brick, with community pool and trails nearby. Looking to spend $290-315K, and hope to find some decent features like a large kitchen, office, media/network-friendly wiring, energy efficient; we wish for a bit of breathing room between houses (yet we look forward to having Texas-style-friendly neighbors again!)

From what we found so far (thanks, City-data, Google maps, Trulia, and Hotpads), it looks like the Circle C area might be a good example of the type of neighborhood we seek. A big plus of Circle C - it is close to shopping and to MOPAC. But, we are concerned about the large size of Bowie HS, so we have been looking at Belterra specifically, and Dripping Springs in general. DS schools are the biggest reason for our looking further out.

I'll be commuting to Ben White and I-35, so I am concerned about how long the commute would be.

We were looking at Bee Cave too, but after reading all of the horror stories about the bottlenecks with traffic, we dropped it from our list. Was that premature?

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,389 times
There's a bottleneck at the Y too -- you'll have to experience that yourself to see if that's something you can live with. As more people move out to SW, that traffic will just increase. Living in Circle C, will definitely give you a shorter commute.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:50 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
I wouldn't eliminate Bee Cave on the traffic alone. Yes, Bee Cave Rd eastbound can get slow in the morning, but it's a short window. If you are at all flexible in your commute times you could avoid it pretty easily. I commuted from Cuernavaca/Bee Cave to Ben White/I-35 for awhile and I thought it was an easy commute.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:17 AM

147 posts, read 572,469 times
The Y in Oak Hill is a bottleneck but there are ways around it. I go through the Y at 6:00 am. From Belterra at that time of morning it's about 20 minutes maybe less to I-35 and Ben White.

The same house in Circle C vs Belterra will cost you more, but the taxes are lower than Belterra.

Check out this article on Central Texas Highschools (http://www.childrenatrisk.org/childrenatrisk.cfm?a=cms,c,873 - broken link). The three areas you've been considering all have good schools. Bowie is a big school though.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Property taxes in Belterra are 2.91%. In Circle C taxes are 2.2% of market value. Factor that in (assuming you are buying instead of renting).

Dripping High school is smaller and still "rural". The workout/weight gym has stuffed animal heads lining the walls, reminding one it's still a hunting/ranching community at the core, despite the residential growth.

I think you've zeroed in properly on Circle C. Cheaper, better commute, not as isloated, everything you need minutes away, alternate commuting routes. Also consider legend Oaks, Villages at Western Oaks. Same houses, same builders, same look and feel for the most part, though many of the homes in all of these areas are older than you say you want.

I wouldn't rule out a 10-20 year old home. Many have been nicely updated and compare well to newer homes.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,440 times
Default Hays

How about this for a different approach. Consider Northern Hays County. You get better schools, lower taxes and probably easier commute. Then, consider joining Onion Creek Golf Club. That way you get the pool, club, golf etc. Good deals going on for membership. Also, probably ten minutes from great shopping at South Park Meadows.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,457 times
Renovated Shady Hollow homes could be an option, too! They will have a little more land and they fall in your price range.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM

302 posts, read 690,254 times
I'd say Circle C is an excellent option, but I'm biased, as I live here.

One thing to consider. They've approved a ramp from Mopac to Ben White, so whatever traffic you experience if you live in Circle C may be alleviated somewhat once the ramp is finished. I don't take that route, so wouldn't be able to tell you if it would be a big time saver or not. I do know that on the way back, once they finish the ramp it will likely cut off 10-15 min from the drive.

Good luck on the search!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Your biggest obstacle is going to be the 1 story homes for the size you're looking for. For the most part, in this price range, the houses are built "up" and not "out" which means 2 story homes. I have buyers looking in Shady Hollow up to $350k for 1 story and we're still looking... it's been 3 months. They're older homes and not as updated, and they don't want the work, so I don't think Shady Hollow would work as someone suggested above.

Circle C is a great option for the full community thing, plus it's almost built. Belterra has a lot of homes to still build so traffic will continue to grow and grow, and you never know what the final flow will be.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM

302 posts, read 690,254 times
One thing to add, 1 story homes are much less common in Circle C. We just purchased one 2 months ago, and it was difficult to find the right one, at the right price range.

You're likely looking at a range of aprox. $350K, unless you're willing to look at older houses.

On a sidebar, you can also look at 1.5 story homes. Almost the same as the 1 story.

Example: 11417 Viridian Way, Austin, TX, 78739 - MLS #2473657 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11417-Viridian-Way_Austin_TX_78739_1113636189 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin