Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 12,866 times

Advertisements

I have been to Austin in the past on business and always thought it was the best city in Texas..but here is my question. Jobs? Single woman? Any help would be great, especially on the job market. None of my contacts on "job related websites" live in Austin. I gotta get outa here (I think that is a song) and trying to find the right fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
In what job market would you be looking? And, single women do very well here in almost all walks of life...

Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 PM

I worked in tv/advertising/marketing in LA and then took hateful turn into interior design. Actually just working these days would be wonderful considering the SoCal area is in the dumps. If I only I was an IT person but that isn't going to happen.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM

47 posts, read 142,458 times
Austin has such appeal, with the "small town" feel and approachable bar scene,great parks and quaint neighborhoods....the only thing is, that Austin is a very small city saturated with a highly educated potential working class....Homes are cheap, and yes the general cost of living in Austin is far below the average overhead in SoCal, but its kinda hard to find exactly what you're looking for, job-wise. I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but, have you looked into Houston? Tons of jobs and job growth in every industry...Great "underground" music scene (Houston had over a dozen awesome music festivals, last year....most of which cost under $10 to enjoy all day and nite...look up FREE PRESS MUSIC FEST '09...back in tha' day, Austin had some great festivals, but now they're all just giant sleazy corporate get-togethers that cost alot of money to attend or be involved with)........Finding a home in Houston is extremely easy, considering the city's size and many housing options. Basically, pick your neighborhood....Downtown (Condos, lofts, etc..), Montrose (The "hippie" neighborhood..1920s bungalows, new modern townhouses, little old "melrose place" looking apt. complexes,4plexes, also the gay neighborhood), Midtown (very modern row houses and town houses along with many new urban condo developments), The Heights (Victorian Mansions next to punk rock bars next to little wooden shotgun houses next to muffler repair shop next to "american apparel"), West U (Almost like having a college town right in the city; Ivy covered brick houses, fountains and parks hundred year old live oaks covering the streets, college bars...Rice University)....I have lived in Fla for the last 10 yrs.....same situation, moved back to tx due to the fallout of the economy in Fla. I grew up in tx, so i have spent many days and nights in austin, houston and san antonio....each one of these cities have great charactaristics.............just don't move to Dallas! yuk

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 PM

But Houston doesn't have any water or mountains..right? I was there once..but again work and I think airport, hotel, airport...as for work..My background is so diverse I can't get a job to save my life. You need to be a "thing" i.e. nurse, doc, lawyer, computer/IT..an exact thing. It use to be cool and easy to get a job if you had a ton of experience in different areas..not anymore. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN..been there enough. Sorry rambling. Need water & mountains or at least one or the other.
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klk912 View Post
But Houston doesn't have any water or mountains..right? I was there once..but again work and I think airport, hotel, airport...as for work..My background is so diverse I can't get a job to save my life. You need to be a "thing" i.e. nurse, doc, lawyer, computer/IT..an exact thing. It use to be cool and easy to get a job if you had a ton of experience in different areas..not anymore. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN..been there enough. Sorry rambling. Need water & mountains or at least one or the other.
Thanks.
Austin doesnt have mountains either, although we do have hills. Houston has better water than austin being on the coast and there are a couple of lakes close by.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Houston definitely has the water, with the beach nearby and some big lakes. It's better than you think, trust me. It's a like LA with worse weather but a better job market.

I understand your thinking, though. No one moves to Houston for the quality of life -- they move because of work. Austin is one of those places where people move to for QoL, then try to find work. So everything people say about the tight job market is true -- it only makes sense that it would be such.

Having said that*, come on down and try it for a few months. If you are fortunate to find a good job in Austin, you'll probably like it. If not, you can always move.

(* my new favorite saying due to Curb your Enthusiasm)

Old 12-19-2009, 04:07 AM

Really Houston? I know someone who is moving there in January from Laguna Beach but he's in the oil biz. Hmmm. Really I should check it out. The hills in Austin were big enough to hike..
Thanks..any other cities you recommend me checking out?

Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM
F&N

24 posts, read 77,625 times
Moved to Houston 2 & 1/2 yrs ago from the Pacific Northwest. We sold & got out of WA state just in time before the market took a dive. Houston-FLAT & humid. Moved to Round Rock 3 months ago & absolutely LOVE it. The hills & scenery are great in Austin. Let's just say I wish we would of bypassed Houston & moved straight here. There are a lot of people with money in the Houston area, so being an interior designer would probably work in your favor there, not so sure of Austin? Houston in my opinion is UGLY, but the economy seems to be holding stronger there? After experiencing hurricane Ike, let's just say I'm so glad we don't have to worry about that anymore. Also Houston is very, very BUGGY!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:39 AM

364 posts, read 991,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klk912 View Post
My background is so diverse I can't get a job to save my life. You need to be a "thing" i.e. nurse, doc, lawyer, computer/IT..an exact thing. It use to be cool and easy to get a job if you had a ton of experience in different areas..not anymore. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL AGAIN..been there enough.
Hate to be the one to say this but the truth is that life changes and you need to change with it. If your current skill set isn't getting you any jobs, perhaps it's time to go back to school to acquire a new set of skills.

After all, you will have a lot of competitors for jobs, especially in this economy. Lots of people are going back to school to invest in themselves. I did. And I got a great new career because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin