Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This has all become very un-Austin. One thing that I can say for the old ways of Austin is that we live and let live. I hate what Austin has become, but I can't do anything about it, so I do my best to stick the old things that remind me of what things were like....Sunset Valley Farmer's Market....Christmas Affair...Zilker Park....Wheatsville Coop and stay away from the new stuff I hate. It's not personal, and I'm not going to fight with anyone IRL or here. I get that people move because they have to (California?) and that things change, but I can ignore it. Kind of like putting my hands on my ears and saying 'lalalalala I can't hear you'. LOL
I feel your pain but one thing you have to understand is that Cali is like a sister state to Texas so
the people cross-migrate all the time. So when the economy tanked in Cali, Californians are running for help to their Big sister, Texas.

Can you imagine Californians who had to run to Iowa?...lol...Texas is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That may be the wisest thing to do. As long, of course, as the old things that remind you of what things were like still exist and don't get replaced by all the new things that are the antithesis of what they were like.
Well, I guess they won't all disappear in the next 40 years! I'll be 80 by then, and probably in the rest home drinking Pinot and watching Sex and the City reruns.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
You'd be surprised at a list of the things that made Austin the place everyone wanted to move to that have disappeared to be replaced by generics that you can find anywhere over the past 40 years that I've lived here. There's even a thread on here about that, you might check it out. Doesn't cover everything, of course, but it does give a hint.

Some neat new things have come into existence, too, of course, but that doesn't mean that we don't mourn the ones we've lost and sometimes feel the need to defend against further loss and sometimes get quite passionate when people talk in a denigrating fashion about Austin because it's not just like where they came from and how we should change it to be.

Heck, I still mourn Les Amis!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
With regard to Austin's tolerance, or lack thereof, I think you have to break things into different categories.

First, there is the level of acceptance or tolerance one might experience if they choose to express themselves through adornment (tattoos, piercings, hair), clothing, etc. I think most would agree that these things don't draw the attention, either positive or negative, that different appearances might in some communities. A person with tats, piercings and purple hair can find a job in Austin, show up at parties without freaking people out, get good service in restaurants, etc. whereas it might be tougher to do so in less tolerant communities. On the other hand, if they think all that crap on their face makes a statment of some kind, its impact in Austin is greatly diminished because most really don't care or respond to it.

Second is the level of acceptance one might experience if they like to share their thoughts and beliefs about political and/or social issues. In this area think Austin is less tolerant in many ways toward non-left people. Try putting up a Republican yard sign in Travis Heights and see what happens. There was actually a news story about this one year as some hapless dude just kept getting his yard signs torn down and even had his car vandalized in Travis Heights. On the other hand, an Obama supporter in a more Republican leaning suburb such as Steiner or Circle C would not ever experience this level of treatment.

But my reality is that I never personally experience the vitriol that can bubble up on the forums here in Austin. My wife and I are having several couples over for Fajitas tonight. I know we all have different views on things, as well as many common views. But if I decide (which I won't, by the way) to ask in the middle of dinner, "so, how do you all think Obama is doing as President?", the most likely response would be a pregnant pause of silence, followed by some looking around to see if anyone is going to go first, and then some polite, measured sharing of thoughts and ideas, whatever they may be.

I really think people try harder to be more sensitive of other's thoughts and ideas in person than here on the forums. I never encounter people lambasting each other in person for not holding the "proper" views.

Steve

Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
With regard to Austin's tolerance, or lack thereof, I think you have to break things into different categories.

First, there is the level of acceptance or tolerance one might experience if they choose to express themselves through adornment (tattoos, piercings, hair), clothing, etc. I think most would agree that these things don't draw the attention, either positive or negative, that different appearances might in some communities. A person with tats, piercings and purple hair can find a job in Austin, show up at parties without freaking people out, get good service in restaurants, etc. whereas it might be tougher to do so in less tolerant communities. On the other hand, if they think all that crap on their face makes a statment of some kind, its impact in Austin is greatly diminished because most really don't care or respond to it.

Second is the level of acceptance one might experience if they like to share their thoughts and beliefs about political and/or social issues. In this area think Austin is less tolerant in many ways toward non-left people. Try putting up a Republican yard sign in Travis Heights and see what happens. There was actually a news story about this one year as some hapless dude just kept getting his yard signs torn down and even had his car vandalized in Travis Heights. On the other hand, an Obama supporter in a more Republican leaning suburb such as Steiner or Circle C would not ever experience this level of treatment.

But my reality is that I never personally experience the vitriol that can bubble up on the forums here in Austin. My wife and I are having several couples over for Fajitas tonight. I know we all have different views on things, as well as many common views. But if I decide (which I won't, by the way) to ask in the middle of dinner, "so, how do you all think Obama is doing as President?", the most likely response would be a pregnant pause of silence, followed by some looking around to see if anyone is going to go first, and then some polite, measured sharing of thoughts and ideas, whatever they may be.

I really think people try harder to be more sensitive of other's thoughts and ideas in person than here on the forums. I never encounter people lambasting each other in person for not holding the "proper" views.

Steve
Interesting point about people becoming less tolerant about political issues. Your example of the sign in Travis Heights makes me think, "Would people be more tolerant of conservative political veiw points, if so many conservative political viewpoints didn't DIRECTLY attack people".

I mean, and this is a generalization, liberals usually believe in global warming and ending war and taxing the rich. These can all be categorized as "controlling situations".

Typically conservatives believe that all Mexicans are a drain on the economy, that all gays are trying to recruit and rape children, and that no woman is allowed to end a pregnancy in her body. These can all be categorized as "controlling people".

Now, of course these are broad broad generalizations and oversimplifications of political positions. But isn't it fair to say that usually conservative veiw points are about "controlling" people, and that is why people tend to be more hostile towards them? It seems a bit more sinister, to me at least.

What is the old joke? Democrats want to control what you do in the board room, republicans want to control what you do in the bed room.

I would be a republican tomorrow if they actually wanted smaller government and civil freedom. But they don't. They want it both ways, they want to take my money and give it to banks (a la TARP) and also tell me that I can't sleep with whatever consenting adult I want.

I can speak for everybody of course, but that is why I am a little bit more intolerant when it comes to conservatives.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Interesting point about people becoming less tolerant about political issues. Your example of the sign in Travis Heights makes me think, "Would people be more tolerant of conservative political veiw points, if so many conservative political viewpoints didn't DIRECTLY attack people".

I mean, and this is a generalization, liberals usually believe in global warming and ending war and taxing the rich. These can all be categorized as "controlling situations".

Typically conservatives believe that all Mexicans are a drain on the economy, that all gays are trying to recruit and rape children, and that no woman is allowed to end a pregnancy in her body. These can all be categorized as "controlling people".

Now, of course these are broad broad generalizations and oversimplifications of political positions. But isn't it fair to say that usually conservative veiw points are about "controlling" people, and that is why people tend to be more hostile towards them? It seems a bit more sinister, to me at least.

What is the old joke? Democrats want to control what you do in the board room, republicans want to control what you do in the bed room.

I would be a republican tomorrow if they actually wanted smaller government and civil freedom. But they don't. They want it both ways, they want to take my money and give it to banks (a la TARP) and also tell me that I can't sleep with whatever consenting adult I want.

I can speak for everybody of course, but that is why I am a little bit more intolerant when it comes to conservatives.
Where do us fiscal conservatives that think gays should be able to marry fall in your black and white view of the world?

Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Where do us fiscal conservatives that think gays should be able to marry fall in your black and white view of the world?
Ditto. We were invited to a neighborhood New Years party by two lesbians and are happy to attend, as are the other neighbors, most of whom I don't know their leanings, but who cares?

Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,049 times
haha My friends refer to Austin as ATX too.
It's funny because I'm from Austin and I don't even call it that. In their defense they don't actually say ATX, they only use that in texts.

I guess it's like call Houston H-town or Dallas D-town. I don't do either.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
LOL, it's not a black and white view of the world. I would be considered a fiscal conservative that thinks gays should be able to marry. I lean conservative on many issues, liberal on many others. I think that is true of 80% of the country. I think people like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh and Rick Santorum give conservatives a bad name. They preach a lot of hate, in turn, people tend to think ALL conservatives must be hateful. I admit, I am often affected by this. That is the point I was making when responding to Austin Steve. I think that when the main plank of the republican party platform is "Gays are demons from hell that are ruining America and going after your kids" then you shouldn't be that surprised if someone rips down a Republican sign in Travis Heights. There are a few gays there you know. Does that make it right to rip down the sign, of course not!!! But I can understand why someone would feel the need to.

If you re read my post, I specifically point out that most republicans in the senate and the house are not "fiscal conservatives" b/c they voted for TARP funds to AIG. These "republicans" are not only controlling of peoples personal lives, they are also bad with money. If you are a conservative that isn't even any good at finances, then what's the point?

I think you are reading more into my post then I intended. That's probably my fault because I only post on City-Data when something sticks in my craw. I am not "rah rah rah rah all conservatives are bad". I think conservative philosophy is bad on social issues. Most of my family are conservatives and they are nice folks. But I wouldn't let them plan out my life for me.

I mostly get angry at hypocrisy. Don't say you are a republican and that marriage is the bedrock of society, and that allowing gays to marry RUINS the institution of marriage, and then divorce your 2nd wife of 22 years (i am looking at you Rove). If you REALLY believe marriage is sacred, okay, more power to you. But don't get divorced left and right and go "gay marriage hurts society!".

Old 12-30-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Ditto. We were invited to a neighborhood New Years party by two lesbians and are happy to attend, as are the other neighbors, most of whom I don't know their leanings, but who cares?
Oh Steve, you know I love you. We have had this conversation before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin