Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Austin, ants control, housing, tax help, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,389 times

Advertisements

Here's what I posted on another thread for someone considering Austin:

I've lived in different parts of the country (DC, midwest, south, etc.) and Austin is one of my favorite places BY FAR.
Moderator cut: not related to original post
As far as where to live in Austin - that's really a matter of opinion. I personally live in Round Rock (a northern suburb of Austin) and I absolutely love it. It's clean, nice, family-friendly, minimal crime and convenient to lots of major employers and retailers (without looking over-commercialized). There are a lot of other nice suburbs - Pflugerville (Round Rock's less affluent neighbor - but still nice and family-friendly), Cedar Park (very nice and up-and-coming area) - Leander (a little far for me, but you can buy a lotta house out there for not much money and it's also up-and-coming) - Manor (rural suburb with a lot of growth) - Kyle and Buda (also very rural and a little far south for me, but some people really like it there).

If you want to live in Austin proper - expect to get raped on property costs. The nicer neighborhoods (Allandale, Hyde Park, Tarrytown, northwest Austin) have 60 year-old, 900 sq. ft. homes going for ~ $450,000. No joke. It's very fashionable to live in one of those old 1930's tract homes and remodel it - which is why so many people live in the suburbs. There are many more moderately priced neighborhoods in Austin - but expect to get what you pay for. In other words - if it costs you less than $200K - it will LOOK like it costs you less than $50K - or it will be in a crappy neighborhood or in a crappy school zone or in an area with high crime.

Thankfully - there really aren't any scary parts of Austin (the native Austinites would disagree with me, but I've lived in some big cities with scary parts that I wouldn't drive through in the day time - Austin doesn't have ANY areas like that). But the "less desirable" neighborhoods are generally going to be east of I35 (or close to I35) between William Cannon and Parmer Lane. Generally speaking - the farther north and west you go of the city's center - the better the neighborhoods (and the higher the prices).

I would steer clear of the downtown area (unless you're a millionaire) and I would avoid the Parmer Lane area east of MoPac (Loop 1) because of the traffic congestion.

I have some friends that live in South Austin and they are pretty convinced it's Nirvana - around the South Congress (which hip cool Austinites call "SoCo") area. I think there's some nice stuff in south Austin around Brodie Lane and I know there's a SWEET neighborhood called Circle C Ranch in southwest Austin which I'M pretty sure is Nirvana. And I know there are some new housing developments popping up near the old Mueller Airport site (near Airport and I35 - which would be my only exception to the rule about avoiding the I35 area south of Parmer Lane).

I've lived here for 8 years and I love it more every year. I hope that helps!!

Austin is a great place - I think you'd love it. As for diversity - Texas is VERY homogeneous - there are pretty much only 2 skin colors - white and hispanic. I lived in the DC area for a while - THAT is diverse. But I think you'll find a lot of diversity in terms of lifestyles and ways of thinking in Austin. It's a very liberal town (the hill country - not so much), so even if the skin colors aren't very diverse - the mind sets are, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding diverse people.

I work at UT and I have an African American co-worker who told me a funny story about how, when she first came to Austin, she used to get the paper and look in the obituary section for recently deceased African Americans. She said that way she knew where the "Black churches" were and went there to make friends.

When I first moved to Texas - I moved to west Texas (military brat) and I was very uncomfortable with the lack of diversity and the racism on BOTH sides of the skin color fence. But I was a lot more comfortable moving to Austin - it's home to the state's capital, several outstanding universities and a lot of young people who keep the mindset progressive.

I think of Austin as an oasis in the middle of a very dry desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I don't think the rest of Texas is a dry desert compared to Austin, It's just different in some ways. I think Every place has something good about it. But the hill country is one of the prettiest areas.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
As for a location, I would look to the SW toward Dripping Springs or Wimberely area.
I would agree with this, based on what you've said. You should also look in Westlake.

I've said this before - in Austin, "Progressive Vibe" and "Good Schools" are mutually exclusive as far as neighborhoods go.

My wife and I lived in Travis Heights for 5 years from 1991 to 1996 and enjoyed the hip and cool vibe before South Congress was even thought of as a cool place. Both my kids were born in that 5 year span and we loved strolling Stacy Park and hanging out with other young families.

But when the kids hit school age, it was off the the SW Austin suburbs and a private school. Here we will remain until the youngest is off to college. After that, we may return to the Central Austin vibe, greyer and older, but until then, the kids and schooling take front seat to any of our personal lifestyle considerations. We can always drive downtown if we need that fix, we don't need to live there.

Steve

Old 05-23-2007, 01:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
That'll be us too. I can just see all of us grayer, older gen x people taking over downtown!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:20 PM

18 posts, read 68,807 times
Wow, thanks for all the advice! I am hoping to visit this summer (probably not the best season with unsupportive teens in tow) and check it out.
I agree with the recent posts about moving into town after the kids are gone. It is way easier to live out in the 'burbs with a family than in my dream urban, hip loft downtown. I know my family would rather open the door and let the dog out than have to walk him at 11pm! And it appears that we will have to go into town to seek diversity, different cultures. But I suppose it is like that in most cities, except DC.
I was hoping to have it all: great scenery, great diverse schools, hipness, ethnic diverse restaurants down the street, a decent priced home and extra income from no state taxes. I hear your justifications about property taxes, I just don't feel them yet...we pay close to $6,000 for our home's property taxes and I complain! Though I don't like to play a Californian ("well, in California....") (no offense, you know it's true! ;-0), looks like if we plopped our home in that area, we will be paying more than double that figure. And I like the advice that it is one or the other: vibe vs. schools. Darn those kids!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM

11 posts, read 96,077 times
Default The skinny on Austin from an African American

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslisa View Post
Hey everyone-

I have had Austin on the brain for about three weeks now ever since a friend of mine moved from Charlotte to Houston. I have always said if I ever moved to Texas, it would be to Austin--though I knew nothing about it. But for the last week or so, I have been there virtually via the internet Googling anything or any phrase I could think of to get information. From the looks of it online, I am really liking the Hill area of Austin--though not too far out. I am married, have two children and have lived in Charlotte for almost 15 years. Being of military blood, I have grown tired of this lifestyle and would like to be in a more progressive, interesting city as well as a good place for children. My questions are-- do the areas outside of Austin (with views of hills, water) have a progressive vibe? Based upon my search, I am not looking for a Steiner Ranch kind of town...that sounds like twenty neighborhoods in Charlotte. Also, my children are sporty. My son will be in high school next year and plays football, baseball and basketball--so for him academics and sports are a priority. My daughter is middle school aged and is a soccer ace. Diversity is an issue as we are Black and I like being around all types of people--ethnic, economic, etc. Husband needs to be able to travel easily to airport. AND MOST important, are there decent gyms outside of town--not country club racquetball tennis facilities but gym gyms like Golds or something. And fire ants? I am allergic--how bad and are they controllable? Housing budget on paper is around 500K-700K but property taxes are scaring me. I saw a really cool house online in Spicewood. I guess I just want to know what people in Austin think of the areas outside of town think. Suburbia is boring me but not too interested in the hassle of urban life with children. Thanks--any info will be helpful!!
You have to do your research first! I grew up in the Houston area. I relocated to Austin on a scholarship. I will first say that Austin is very attractive city to look at. It is quite scenic especially along Capital of Tx Highway. But It has been a major "culture shock" There are underline race issues here. The quality of life for AAs is an issue and it took several AAs from the community who have been living here for years to push the issue to the city council.
There have been soo many forums, meetings and discussions to improve it. At all those events, I harldy saw any whites attending the events. I have never met sooo many prejudice whites in all my life. I have met/work with some who have relocated here from all other whiter cities like: Utah, Colorado, Idaho etc.

The only area in Austin you will see AAs is East Austin along I-35 east of MLK. Thats where most the black churchs and beauty salons are. That is the only places I get that Black experience is church and a beauty shop. When I first moved here, the beauty shop is where the AA locals gave me more insight on Austin, as if I hadn't already notice. Downtown during the week and business hours, you'll see quite a few AAs. Most I have met work for the State of Texas and downtown is where those offices are. Now, outside of Austin, the areas where blacks actually own homes are in Del Valle, Bastrop(both SE towns) outside of Austin close to airport/downtown. Pflugerville, TX is a small town North of Austin. It has a large number of AAs and Hispanics. I have personally worked with AAs who said it is hard to get a home loan in Austin and to live in the 3 areas I mentioned above. Those areas are too small and country for me. Spicewood area is prejudice. I see no AAs around there at all. That is NW Austin, you will hardly see any AAs in that part of town. They just don't go over there. I shopped at the Arboretum and was constantly followed/watched around the store. But I have had no problems with anyone directly when shopping over there. I plan to relocate from this part of Texas altogether.

Growing up in Houston I can say that it offers a great life for AAs. Although AAs aren't the majority, like Atlanta and DC, there is still a great presence in the city as well as other races. It is multicultural city and has a good economy. There is no racial friction between the major races in Houston, and racism is not an issue. It's an international melting pot. I and everyone else I know, have friends and associates of all races who share in ideas and cultures. I am a member of Lakewood Church, Pastor Joel Osteen. Lakewood is a representation of all the nations of Houston and has a great fellowship that extends into the community. Please visit Visit Houston - Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau Click on Send Me a Visitor Packet at the bottom righthand of the screen. It is free pkg with a magazine, brochures and maps.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
The only area in Austin you will see AAs is East Austin along I-35 east of MLK. Thats where most the black churchs and beauty salons are.
We live on a relatively short street in SW Austin with 3 AA families that I know of (although one family is in the process of moving to Baltimore). Two of the families are employed at Freescale Semiconductor (don't know where the third family works). Anyway, the statement above may be a little overly definitive, but may be correct if you say 'AA communities', not just AAs.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launi View Post
I plan to relocate from this part of Texas altogether.
That's too bad. It sounds like the city needs more AAs to stay.

Coming from the Great Lakes, I'm dissapointed to hear that black culture/opportunities/presence are so limited in Austin. Although a geographically segregated city, it's very much a part of Cleveland and I like being around a diverse population.

Here's an article I found awhile back about East Austin's gentrification. It's long but very well worth the time:

GoodLife (http://www.goodlifemag.com/archives/11-04/11-04_east.htm - broken link)

Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 96,077 times
Default Overly definitive statement....no, just calling it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
We live on a relatively short street in SW Austin with 3 AA families that I know of (although one family is in the process of moving to Baltimore). Two of the families are employed at Freescale Semiconductor (don't know where the third family works). Anyway, the statement above may be a little overly definitive, but may be correct if you say 'AA communities', not just AAs.
It doesn't matter how you put it, AA communities or AAs. There is still less than 10%. You mentioned that the families that live by you work at Freescale. I was just saying that most of the AAs I know/socialize with work for the State. I did not say all AAs in Austin work for the State. (in response to above in bold) I'm not sure if you misinterpret what I said.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Actually, not responding to the work thing, I was actually responding to the :
Quote:
The only area in Austin you will see AAs is East Austin along I-35 east of MLK.
I agree, there are very few AA in Austin, but the few that are here are not neccessarily limited exclusively to East Austin. I just threw in where they worked, and I agree that that may be a minority, I don't really know .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin