Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 13,514 times

Advertisements

Mid 40s couple planning a move to Austin in the near term (next 6 mo.) We're not stiffs but looking for tranquility and a serene atmosphere with lots of family-friendly amenities. Anticipate jobs in DT Austin and possibly UT. Don't want crazy commute -- 20 or less preferred. Top notch schools a high priority but would like to avoid private unless necessary. Advice on neighborhoods? Am armchair househunting but don't know my way around Austin to save my life. Is Bee Cave, Rob Roy a possibility? Know that Eanes is top-drawer, but homes are pricey and smaller.

Would consider renting for first year, but have 3 dogs and 2 elementary age children and wondering if that will be an insurmountable hurdle in the rental market?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thinking about buying in the $600K-750K range, at least 3500 s.f. w/pool. My husband would LOVE lake access for boating and waterskiing. That would be a consideration, as long as school quality is not compromised.

I love the idea of having walkable destinations - like Starbucks, parks, running trails, etc. Is this out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
How many bedrooms and bathrooms? How big a lot? Do you want a 2 story, 1 story? Do you want a lake view, canyon view, hill country view? Do you want a newer home with an open floorplan or older home?

Take a look at the Lakeway area. There are lots of homes with the amenities you are looking for with top rated schools in that area. And you will be close to Lake Travis and Lake Austin. The commute to Downtown and UT is not that bad. You might also take a look at both Riverplace and Steiner Ranch. Next, I would suggest looking Southwest of Austin in the Falconhead and Barton Creek areas.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Barton Hills and Rollingwood! Parts of NW Austin (NW Hills, Highland Hills, Tarrytown.

I wouldn't even look at Lakeway but that's just me.

get a good realtor!

good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
What exactly do you mean by "lake access"? Do you just want to be within 10-15 minutes of the lake, or do you want a private boat ramp within your community?

Parks and trails are going to be fairly easy to get, but walking to shops is going to be a little different in many areas as many times you'll have to walk along and/or cross a main street/highway.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
How many bedrooms and bathrooms? How big a lot? Do you want a 2 story, 1 story? Do you want a lake view, canyon view, hill country view? Do you want a newer home with an open floorplan or older home?

Take a look at the Lakeway area. There are lots of homes with the amenities you are looking for with top rated schools in that area. And you will be close to Lake Travis and Lake Austin. The commute to Downtown and UT is not that bad. You might also take a look at both Riverplace and Steiner Ranch. Next, I would suggest looking Southwest of Austin in the Falconhead and Barton Creek areas.
Wouldn't Lakeway be a crazy commute? I work with folks that complain about the traffic from Steiner Ranch into downtown...

I'd say you'd be better off in Westlake in the EANES school district.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Wouldn't Lakeway be a crazy commute? I work with folks that complain about the traffic from Steiner Ranch into downtown...

I'd say you'd be better off in Westlake in the EANES school district.
Yeah, Lakeway may be a little too far away. Whenever I hear great schools, close to the lake, master plan community type amenities, I usually look toward Lakeway first. I guess it all depends what the higest priorities are for the OP. Davenport Ranch might also be a good fit.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the great replies! Was out there two years ago scoping it out a bit (2 days, that's it) and we loved Lakeway, but thought the commute just too much, especially with the projected growth in the area.

Closer to downtown: Westlake Hills? Rollingwood? Anything else? I haven't come up with many listings to chose from in that area. Is it that homes rarely come up for sale there? Any other suggestions? Obviously, will need a good realtor but would like to start the process of elimination now to clarify our desires. As for "lake access", waterfront is out of our price point, but is there somewhere where we could marina a speedboat say, on Lake Austin?

Question: what is the commute from Hill Country? Worse than Lakeway?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:52 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
You wont have a hard time finding a RE agent in Austin...its one of the few well paying jobs in the metro, and teaming with agents, many of whom have moved here from out-of-state....I think there are about 20 Moderator cut: Inappropriate language in this Austin board itself on a regular basis..

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-25-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM

I'm not concerned about finding an agent; right now I would like more local knowledge about quality of life in certain neighborhoods. Low crime, well established, mature trees, water, topography all are draws.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:15 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom123 View Post
Thanks for the great replies! Was out there two years ago scoping it out a bit (2 days, that's it) and we loved Lakeway, but thought the commute just too much, especially with the projected growth in the area.

Closer to downtown: Westlake Hills? Rollingwood? Anything else? I haven't come up with many listings to chose from in that area. Is it that homes rarely come up for sale there? Any other suggestions? Obviously, will need a good realtor but would like to start the process of elimination now to clarify our desires. As for "lake access", waterfront is out of our price point, but is there somewhere where we could marina a speedboat say, on Lake Austin?

Question: what is the commute from Hill Country? Worse than Lakeway?
"Hill Country" is a broad term. Many people consider anything West of I35 as Hill Country. Some people consider it more out past Spicewood and south past Dripping Springs...

You're not finding many because in Westlake and Rollingwood, it's more expensive so for the price you're wanting, you're going to get a smaller home.

Barton Creek would be an area to consider off Bee Caves Rd (2244), but you might also want to come a little further West for Senna Hills. There are brand new homes still being built and inventory homes are very negotiable right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin