Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 PM

24 posts, read 88,438 times

Advertisements

Liberal, conservative or mixed?
Overly religous?
Does anyone wear cowboy hats like they do up north in DFW?
Are certain suburbs more desireable or is Austin city limits the place to be?
Are people friendly like I have found them to be in DFW?
Is there a good mix of things to do, go, see?
How is the economy, business climate?
How is the real estate market for an investor?
Where should I go for excellent schools, nice people and decent commute (under 30 mins), maybe nice views/scenery and close to outdoor activities for around $400k?

I know it is a lot to ask for in one post but hoping someone can help!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,250 times
What do you consider overly religious?

I don't see many cowboy hats at all.

In city is pretty expensive so many of us settle for the suburbs but there are others that wouldn't live anywhere but the suburbs so it really depends on what you are looking for.

I find the people to be very friendly for the most part but haven't been to Dallas in years so I cannot compare the two. But consider that I lived most recently in the Pacific Northwest, and area known for its reserved nature.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcata View Post
Liberal, conservative or mixed?
Overly religous?
Are certain suburbs more desireable or is Austin city limits the place to be?
Are people friendly like I have found them to be in DFW?
Is there a good mix of things to do, go, see?
How is the economy, business climate?
How is the real estate market for an investor?
Where should I go for excellent schools, nice people and decent commute (under 30 mins), maybe nice views/scenery and close to outdoor activities for around $400k?

I know it is a lot to ask for in one post but hoping someone can help!

Thanks!
You are a bit all over the place. Could you tell us where you currently are so we can get a frame of reference? For instance, is there a good mix of things to do, go, see? Well, that depends. Are you from a major metropolitan area? Then no, Round Rock will seem like a simple bedroom community to you. Are you from the middle of nowhere? Then yes, Round Rock will keep you occupied for a few years. It all depends.

As far as "how is the real estate market for an investor?" I don't know what you mean? Is ANYWHERE a good real estate market for an investor? Invest how? Do you want to buy land? Property? Rental properties? How long-term of an investment are you looking for?

There are several posts already on city-data answering all your questions. If any of them did not answer your questions, could you specifically tell us what is still confusing you?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM

24 posts, read 88,438 times
Default Re

I can see where I should have clarified my questions a little better. My bad.
I grew up in NYC, moved to New Jersey and spent a ton of time in Dallas. I am looking to invest in single family rental properties. As for stuff to do just looking for a nice night out once and a while and some culture (museums, etc.) for the kids. As for business climate, I am looking for a growing area with opportunity and a good tax structure/incentives for business. As for political climate I lean conservative and would look for some solid conversation from like minded individuals, I also enjoy debating with folks who have different viewpoints so I am really comfortable in a mixed environment. Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,882 times
Round Rock is more conservative in general than Austin. If you know where to look, you can find people wearing cowboy hats. There are some great country western clubs. I don't think Austin is overly religious. But there are so many diverse cultures in Austin, you can find and practice almost any religion you could think of. Austin/Round Rock is still one of the fastest growing and most desired destinations to live and one of the largest universities in the nation is located in downtown Austin. So yes, from an investment standpoint, the Austin Metro area is a fairly safe bet. As far as what area of town to live in, the further away you get from Austin, the more you can get for your money. Inside Austin, for 400K you might find a nicely remodeled 1500 sq ft 50 year old home. Up north in Round Rock/Cedar Park/Leander you could get a brand new 3000 sq ft mcmansion in a new master planned subdivision. As for good schools, you will probably want to look at Eanes ISD, Lake Travis ISD, Round Rock ISD, and Leander ISD.

Where will you be commuting to? What type of home are you looking for? 1 story 2 story? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Do you want an older home or a newer home? How big? Do you want hike and bike trails, pools, playgrounds in the neighborhood?

Old 12-25-2009, 01:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcata View Post
Yes...with the occasional pair of *ss-less chaps.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,451 times
Austin was a progressive intellectual peaceful city until about 2000 when Californians and New Yorkers took it over. It is now a generic and costly place to live with no culture to speak of other than greed.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM

132 posts, read 496,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Yes...with the occasional pair of *ss-less chaps.
Aren't all chaps assless? Otherwise, they'd be leather pants.

D

Old 12-26-2009, 05:13 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,691 times
Liberal, conservative or mixed? Mixed, but leaning more towards the left
Overly religious? No
Does anyone wear cowboy hats like they do up north in DFW? No, DFW is much more "cowboy/country" than Austin. Dallas is more like Nashville country vs. Willie Nelson country.
Are certain suburbs more desireable or is Austin city limits the place to be? Any place close to town is desirable but but it depends on what you are looking for. Lake Travis/Bee Cave/hills between Austin and Lake Travis/Lake Austin/Westlake/Rollingwood are all very popular but you need to specify what you are looking for.
Are people friendly like I have found them to be in DFW? Yes, more so.
Is there a good mix of things to do, go, see? Yes, plenty to do here if you like the outdoors, sports, arts, eating, great places for cocktails while watching the sunset
How is the economy, business climate? Generally pretty good but not a lot of industry outside of some tech and the state here.
How is the real estate market for an investor? Can't provide an informed answer here.
Where should I go for excellent schools, nice people and decent commute (under 30 mins), maybe nice views/scenery and close to outdoor activities for around $400k? Lakeway/Bee Cave/NW Hills-- but commute to where?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburatti View Post
Aren't all chaps assless? Otherwise, they'd be leather pants.

D
Hubby and I just had this conversation recently. They're chaps if you have blue jeans on underneath. They become *ssless chaps when you wear them sans jeans, and add a leather biker hat. You get bonus points if you add a handlebar moustache.

Hey man, I don't make the rules!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin