Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:49 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker_49 View Post
I am interested in making a film documentary disproving God and for that I would like to travel to Austin. What is the most popular religion there? Is there a big variety?
Money! Just kidding.

Come on man, don't be one of those fundamentalist atheists trying to show religious people why they're all "sheep." Those kind of atheists are just as irritating as fundamentalist Christians. I'm agnostic and don't really care if my neighbor is religious. As long as he's happy and doesn't force his beliefs on me, we're cool.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,823 times
I heard some atheists talking about how they want to raise Al Gore to sainthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Money! Just kidding.

Come on man, don't be one of those fundamentalist atheists trying to show religious people why they're all "sheep." Those kind of atheists are just as irritating as fundamentalist Christians. I'm agnostic and don't really care if my neighbor is religious. As long as he's happy and doesn't force his beliefs on me, we're cool.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM

I am a Christian and also a follower of the scientific method. I wish the global warming scientists were also followers of the scientific method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
I am an athiest as well as a follower of the scientific method. You cannot disprove the existence of god. Still, I wish you good luck with that.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:39 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I am a Christian and also a follower of the scientific method. I wish the global warming scientists were also followers of the scientific method.
Me too. Also, I have a visceral hatred for the acts of "so called" athiests who go around complaining about public Christmas Displays. I think such athiests along with those who feel the need to argue the non-existence of God, usually are closet believers who are really trying to convince themselves.

Last edited by XLadylawX; 12-25-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: content

Old 12-25-2009, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 211,247 times
are you serious or did you just come to a Texas forum to mess with people? It seems a silly endeavor. Why pick a place like Texas to go about trying to disprove God? Why try to disprove God in the first place? Why do you care what people believe or don't believe? Why would you want to prove to people that something that perhaps make them happier, feel more hopeful or whathaveyou is not real? What would be the point? Are you just out to make people feel unhappy or defensive? Are you one of those people who enjoys creating chaos and drama? The more you try to prove that God does not exist, the more people will believe. You can't disprove the existence of God. Why bother trying?

it seems a monumental waste of time.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:30 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The most popular religion is Austinism.

Most musicians have a mild form of Austinism. It makes them freakishly good at guitar with a dissociative disorder. Wait, I'm sorry.. I thought we were talking about autism.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:30 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Might want to pick up a copy of this first, and read it. Amazon.com: Darwin on Trial (9780830813247): Phillip E. Johnson: Books
"Dissecting the writings of Gould, Futuyama, Darwin, and Dawkins with a trenchant sword, law professor Johnson uses an attorney's reasoning to scrutinize the scientists' logic in defining the theory of evolution. Contending that science has distorted research rules to exclude Divine Creation in explaining the diversity of life, Johnson challenges the tenets of natural selection and the evolutionary evidence from fossils and genetic and molecular sources."

Yep, I always look to religious lawyers to tell me the truth about scientific research and theories.

This review pretty much told me everything I needed to know about that book: Amazon.com: Soccer Fan's review of The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investiga... (http://www.amazon.com/review/R2X1XX6UAMRXLE/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
I am a Christian and also a follower of the scientific method.
Sounds like an oxymoron to me. It would make more sense if you had said "I am a follower of the scientific method for all things except religion, which is why science does not threaten my personal Christian faith."

Also, I'm glad everyone is taking the OP's bait.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:35 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
"Dissecting the writings of Gould, Futuyama, Darwin, and Dawkins with a trenchant sword, law professor Johnson uses an attorney's reasoning to scrutinize the scientists' logic in defining the theory of evolution. Contending that science has distorted research rules to exclude Divine Creation in explaining the diversity of life, Johnson challenges the tenets of natural selection and the evolutionary evidence from fossils and genetic and molecular sources."

Yep, I always look to religious lawyers to tell me the truth about scientific research and theories.
Do you always let others craft your opinions for you? Read the book yourself, then make an informed decision. He's not a "religious lawyer" he's an attorney who set out to disprove God... just like the OP... Snark minus education = you looking a little silly.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 AM

234 posts, read 718,782 times
I am not being paid by anyone, but would like to share that I listen to Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

You guys have a great radio host there in Austin, what a hilarious guy.

Why waste your time trying to prove or disprove the existence of God? There are so many better things to do. Like give a sandwich to a homeless guy. Or take your girlfriend on a nice date.... In Austin I am sure you can find something fun to do!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 AM

I didn't think it was necessary to state the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. It would make more sense if you had said "I am a follower of the scientific method for all things except religion, which is why science does not threaten my personal Christian faith."

Also, I'm glad everyone is taking the OP's bait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: