Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Jay, he simply posted his own opinion of God. YOU replied that his opinion was "absolute nonsense". This is what I'm referring to. Who was the hateful one in that exchange?
Saying an opinion is nonsense is more hateful than saying someone must kill themselves or agree with you? Is that really the road you want to go down? I could understand if I had said something as a personal attack, but I clearly was only attacking his statement, which is the point of the board, read the TOS.

Posters say opinions are nonsense all the time on this board. Saying something is "nonsense" is much more respectful than some of the things said on this board.

I am not sure why you are taking issue with me saying someones opinion is nonsense. I would also like to point out that I didn't say belief in god is nonsense, only that "disproving god disproves yourself" was nonsense. That is nonsense. It means nothing and doesn't make sense. It's like if I said "Round couch fiat the earth". The phrase itself made no sense. If you read my other posts on this very thread you will see that I said it is impossible to prove or disprove god, I was not taking a position either way.

Once again, you are criticizing me for using the word "nonsense" and not OneJackson for suggesting that anyone that wants to disprove the bible should kill themselves. It makes me think that your priorities are askew.

In the future, if you want to avoid confusion, quote the actual post that you are criticizing. It helps clarify things.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:13 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Just when you think we have stopped this spammer thread, someone posts absolute nonsense.
Thanks Jay..You get a huge thumbs up from me!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Typical theist response. So, the only way to prove that god exists is to stab yourself in the heart? Leaving me with only 2 choices, don't stab myself in which you say I don't have the courage of my convictions. Or stab myself and die, thereby "proving" you right? Didn't your kind have a similar test in Salem, in the 1600's? If she drowned she proved she was a christian, if she floated, you killed her as a witch? Either way, not so great for her. Guess you Christians get the upper hand in both of your little "tests"?

I guess it scares me that theists still have this opinion of everyone that doesn't believe in god.
From 1692 to 2009, christians still have the same "solution" to everyone that doesn't agree with them. And Christians wonder why everyone dislikes them so much. You Christians usually hide this opinion in public, but I guess when protected by the anonymity of the internet, OneJackson is showing his true Christians colors. Join or die.

Good example OneJackson. I am sure all the other christians on this board are just oh so happy you have made them look so good.

On the other hand, I could tell OneJackson that Zeus started his brain thinking, and that if he shoots himself in the head, and survives, then I will stop believing in Zeus. But if he doesn't live, then Zeus must exist. It's the same argument, just using a different imaginary god. But hey, if that logic is all OneJackson needs, then I'll loan him my gun.
Isn't this a sweeping generalization about a very diverse group based on the post a of an individual?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Saying an opinion is nonsense is more hateful than saying someone must kill themselves or agree with you? Is that really the road you want to go down? I could understand if I had said something as a personal attack, but I clearly was only attacking his statement, which is the point of the board, read the TOS.

Posters say opinions are nonsense all the time on this board. Saying something is "nonsense" is much more respectful than some of the things said on this board.

I am not sure why you are taking issue with me saying someones opinion is nonsense. I would also like to point out that I didn't say belief in god is nonsense, only that "disproving god disproves yourself" was nonsense. That is nonsense. It means nothing and doesn't make sense. It's like if I said "Round couch fiat the earth". The phrase itself made no sense. If you read my other posts on this very thread you will see that I said it is impossible to prove or disprove god, I was not taking a position either way.

Once again, you are criticizing me for using the word "nonsense" and not OneJackson for suggesting that anyone that wants to disprove the bible should kill themselves. It makes me think that your priorities are askew.

In the future, if you want to avoid confusion, quote the actual post that you are criticizing. It helps clarify things.
I'm not here to argue with you or play board monitor. I took exception because of the fact that just yesterday, you and I had a conversation both on the board and in an IM about tolerance. That conversation began when you complained that conservatives never show tolerance, and that they're always wrong. I told you in my IM that I felt that liberals could be just as guilty in showing intolerance - particularly on the subject of religion. I feel that you are demonstrating that very point now in this thread.

Here we are one day later and you've simply replaced "conservatives" with "religion" and are arguing once again through great use of generalizations, and twisting it around as though he came after you with some evil Christian intolerance and cult-like theist desire to see you end your life. The truth is, you went after him. I don't care if you agree with that or not ... the proof is right here in the sequence of posts in this thread.

Here's my M.O. in general. I take great exception to what I perceive as dishonest and disingenuous debate tactics when I see them here and elsewhere. I think most everyone here knows that by now ... lol. I'm pretty outspoken and not very well-liked by many here. That's OK. Often times I might very well agree with a particular poster on a point, but feel that their methods in proving that point are so unsavory and dishonest that the original point becomes lost in a haze of smoke and mirrors. I love debate and I could spend all day doing it, but I have standards that I adher to and in order for me to take someone else seriously, I expect them to at a minimum just be honest, and speak their mind without exaggeration, generalizations, and overuse of hyperbole and strawman arguments. Once I see an absence of that, I see no need to continue a conversation with someone other than to point out why I no longer feel compelled to take them seriously. I see this with your posts, even on points that I agree with much of the time. It's frustrating, because I think you have some great opinions, but your methods for delivery just do not cut it. Just my opinion, and it should be no cause for concern on your part. I am after all just one of many people here.

Have a nice day.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:28 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,028 times
Sounds much like the typical global warmingist response too. "WE are all going to die of heat if we don't buy into Al Gore's Cap and Tax fiasco."

Quote:
Typical theist response. So, the only way to prove that god exists is to stab yourself in the heart? Leaving me with only 2 choices, don't stab myself in which you say I don't have the courage of my convictions. Or stab myself and die, thereby "proving" you right? Didn't your kind have a similar test in Salem, in the 1600's? If she drowned she proved she was a christian, if she floated, you killed her as a witch? Either way, not so great for her. Guess you Christians get the upper hand in both of your little "tests"?

I guess it scares me that theists still have this opinion of everyone that doesn't believe in god. From 1692 to 2009, christians still have the same "solution" to everyone that doesn't agree with them. And Christians wonder why everyone dislikes them so much. You Christians usually hide this opinion in public, but I guess when protected by the anonymity of the internet, OneJackson is showing his true Christians colors. Join or die.

Good example OneJackson. I am sure all the other christians on this board are just oh so happy you have made them look so good.

On the other hand, I could tell OneJackson that Zeus started his brain thinking, and that if he shoots himself in the head, and survives, then I will stop believing in Zeus. But if he doesn't live, then Zeus must exist. It's the same argument, just using a different imaginary god. But hey, if that logic is all OneJackson needs, then I'll loan him my gun.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Isn't this a sweeping generalization about a very diverse group based on the post a of an individual?

Jennibc, I don't know if you had a chance to read every post before you responded to mine. This question has already been answered.

I don't think it's unfair to say that OneJacksons opinion of "join or die" is a commonly held belief amongst theists, especially christians. I have yet to notice one christian jump into the conversation to say "hey wait, I don't believe that." If I am so out of bounds, where are the christians that DON'T believe that?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't one of the central tenants of chritianity that if you don't join the church, you burn in hell for all eternity? Am I wrong in saying that is a church teaching? "I am the way, the truth, and the light says the lord, the only way to the father is thru me."

Sorry to all the christians out there, I imagine it must make you feel uncomfortable when someone points out one of the not so nice aspects of your religon. I notice you don't refute it though, or condemn other christians when they (rather honestly) point it out. You just like to pretend that the churches you go to on Sunday are not preaching this fact week in, and week out.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:30 PM

155 posts, read 375,867 times
Jennibc, you are very correct, in many cases a Christian from Texas will not fully agree with a Christain from California, for example, there are some Christian that believe in reincarnation while others would never believe in such a concept.
Saying that someone is a Christian does not say what the person really believes..

Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
I don't know if it's the right time or place to say it but...

Jesus was black:

Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
twisting it around as though he came after you with some evil Christian intolerance and cult-like theist desire to see you end your life. The truth is, you went after him. I don't care if you agree with that or not ... the proof is right here in the sequence of posts in this thread..
You are entitled to your opinion. I think you just like to argue for the sake of argument. I can't fault you there, sometimes I do the same. I think you need to take a quick re-read of the posts.

ONEJACKSON : disproving god disproves you
JAYBROWN80: That is nonsense
ONEJACKSON: Kill yourself to prove me wrong!

I don't see how that is me "going after him". To be frank, I felt like I was just stating something that should be self-evident. Much like when a teenage girl tells you "I will DIE if I dont get a date to prom". While the teenage girl may feel quite strongly about this statement, it doesn't make it any less nonsense. And I am not "attacking" her by pointing out her nonsense.

You are obviously of a different opinion. To you, saying something is nonsense and dismissing it as out of hand (which is what i did) is tantamount to asking someone to kill themselves (which is what onejackson did). Or am I wrong, and that is not what you are saying?

I feel confident that someone reading my posts in order can see that.

Also, just a quick aside, A strawman argument or fallacy states that I would have had to bring up a seperate and superficially similar argument, claim it was the argument OneJackson had made, and then attack only my superficial argument. I did not do that. I responded directly to OneJacksons comment that I should kill myself to prove there is no god. It was a silly argument on his part, one used throughout history by christians such as himself, and I am surprised that you find more issue with me using the word "nonsense" then with him making his statement. Just a little bit of debate trivia, since most people use the strawman fallacy incorrectly. Much like incorrect use of the word ironic.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
According to that pic, he was also Wolfman Jack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: