Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I am not sure which post you are talking about because I didn't see it. But if there was such a post, then direct your comments to that person. Just because one yahoo comes on here and uses race as his or her top priority doesn't mean that other people looking for family friendly neighborhoods or neighborhoods with lower crime are racists. I don't like criminals... doesn't matter whether those criminals are white or not, I just don't want to live among them.
This is the post....

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...wn-within.html

And, again, I never mentioned any of this till I saw that.....and then I see "you don't want NE Austin" commented on this one here, and had to say something.

There really isn't much more to say here, after a couple days worth of comments. There frankly is very little mixing of races in the Austin metro, and self-segregated or not, the north burbs and west burbs are almost lilly white, and the east end is still predominantly minority. You may think that little comments such as "you don't want NE Austin" are relatively innocuous, but, years of the same, and thousands of comments like that contribute greatly to making the "good" areas whiter, and the "bad" areas darker, in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other point is that there are only extremes here in the Austin metro, with no gentle gradations in-between....either an area is lilly white, with "great schools", or majority minority, approaching 80-90%. A pundit once said that integration is the time between the first white family moving out and the last black/brown family moving in. That is as true today in Austin as it was back in the 60's when the quote was made.

Texas, as a whole, is close to being majority minority, which is ironic in itself. California has become so relatively recently. San Antonio itself is majority hispanic, and largely run by the same in city government. Houston has a huge minority presence, as well as the DFW metroplex. Austin is largely the last little bastion of Anglos left in Texas. Before the hispanic population doubled between 2000-present, it was even more so.

I still find it more than a bit ironic how many intelligent folks here who proclaim they are open-minded, and are moving to Austin because of the progressive rep of the same, prefer to live in overwhelmingly majority anglo communities, approaching Lily-white levels, but, to each his/her own, I guess.......you can't turn back the wheels of time, however.......

Last edited by inthecut; 12-30-2009 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Way to sidestep the issue of your complete fabrication of the initial post that has got you on this little threadjacking tizzy of yours in the first place. Your dishonesty however has been duly noted by more than one poster here.

Perhaps your desire for chest-thumping over racial equality is better-suited for another forum, one more appropriate for that topic, rather than continuing to derail threads here to serve your own purposes. Just a thought.

ETA: PLEASE stop sending me IM's, inthecut. I've already asked you once to stop pestering me via IM. If you cannot keep your comments out here in the public where they belong, please don't comment at all. My responding to anything you post here in this public forum warrants nothing more than a reply from you out here - in the public forum. Please stop trying to begin a private dialogue. I do not want to go out for coffee or a beer with you, and sending me pictures of you is highly inappropriate.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 12-30-2009 at 06:13 AM..

Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
I find it very interesting that ITC has conveniently neglected to mention that the initial poster IN THE OTHER THREAD was of mixed race. In fact, the poster apologized for asking the way she did and explained what her thought process was, as much as she felt comfortable doing so:

"I apologize for "irking" you for my preference of predominantly caucasian. I am minority as well, half African American/half white. So I know it sounds crazy for the preference, however it's due to my past experience. It's was a very bad experience, I won't go into the details."

And it's being made to sound like the initial poster IN THIS THREAD asked for a "lilly white" community to live in, and that someone responded with only "you don't want NE Austin". That's simply a flat-out lie. The OP asked for, among other things, a neighborhood that has good schools, is safe, is a short commute to their job in NE Austin, and is family friendly. And a poster responded with not just "You don't want NE Austin", but "You don't want to live in Northeast Austin. Check out Round Rock. Very kid-friendly. Lots of great communities and good schools, and your commute will be pretty short." Then the poster actually backed up his post with facts explaining why he felt NE Austin was unsafe.

Sorry to bring actual facts into the debate here, but it's misleading at best, and deliberatly lying at worse, to frame it as the OP asking only for a "family friendly" neighborhood (and someone claiming that that's racist code for "lilly white only") and also pretending that the responder said only "you don't want NE Austin", which is also supposed to be some racist code for "lilly white only". In both poster's cases, that is simply untrue.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:58 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
This is the post....

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...wn-within.html

And, again, I never mentioned any of this till I saw that.....and then I see "you don't want NE Austin" commented on this one here, and had to say something.

There really isn't much more to say here, after a couple days worth of comments. There frankly is very little mixing of races in the Austin metro, and self-segregated or not, the north burbs and west burbs are almost lilly white, and the east end is still predominantly minority. You may think that little comments such as "you don't want NE Austin" are relatively innocuous, but, years of the same, and thousands of comments like that contribute greatly to making the "good" areas whiter, and the "bad" areas darker, in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other point is that there are only extremes here in the Austin metro, with no gentle gradations in-between....either an area is lilly white, with "great schools", or majority minority, approaching 80-90%. A pundit once said that integration is the time between the first white family moving out and the last black/brown family moving in. That is as true today in Austin as it was back in the 60's when the quote was made.

Texas, as a whole, is close to being majority minority, which is ironic in itself. California has become so relatively recently. San Antonio itself is majority hispanic, and largely run by the same in city government. Houston has a huge minority presence, as well as the DFW metroplex. Austin is largely the last little bastion of Anglos left in Texas. Before the hispanic population doubled between 2000-present, it was even more so.

I still find it more than a bit ironic how many intelligent folks here who proclaim they are open-minded, and are moving to Austin because of the progressive rep of the same, prefer to live in overwhelmingly majority anglo communities, approaching Lily-white levels, but, to each his/her own, I guess.......you can't turn back the wheels of time, however.......
I am the one who said she didn't want to live in NE Austin. That was based upon her own criteria and my experience with the area. You jumped on ME for posting it and somehow pulled race into that comment. NO WHERE did I mention race, in this post or any other.

Then you post an old thread that I never even read before, let alone replied to, as an explanation for why you took offense to my statement. How does that support your assertation that I had some sinister racial undertones in my brief post here? Look at any of my old posts; I have NEVER brought race into an issue, unless it was to say that I wish Austin was more diverse and racially tolerant.

Oh, and I am not and never have been a Realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin