Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:20 AM

809 posts, read 1,857,776 times

Advertisements

Downtown Loft maybe? we could use the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 15,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Downtown Loft maybe? we could use the taxes.
I would LOVE to live downtown but I am not sure that I will really want to deal with the traffic to and from Round Rock during rush hour, although I envision myself spending most of my free time in the downtown area.

I have heard about the Arboretum area but it seems like it would be a hassel to go from there to downtown, especially if going out at night (but maybe it just looks that way on the map??)

It sounds like Hyde Park or Mueller is a good bet but are there any other areas that would be a compromise between a city lifestyle minus a crazy commute?

Thank you all for your help!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,272,520 times
I think if you live in the Arboretum area, you might as well live in Round Rock. That far out, the Domain would be the closest thing to "urban living" that I think you'd find.

You might want to check out the Crestview area (Anderson Lane/Burnet area). Not sure what apartments are available, but it's a hot spot right now, there's quite a bit going on there, and if the MetroRail ever gets going, there's a Crestview Station and you could simply take it downtown and not have to drive either way.

FWIW, downtown is a TINY part of what's going on in Austin. People worry a lot about how far something is from downtown, but most Austinites rarely go there - there's plenty to do in other areas of the city, so it isn't a necessity.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 43,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Not all areas east of I-35 are bad. I live in the French Place neighborhood (bounded on west by I-35, on east by Cherrywood Ave, on north by E 38th 1/2 St, on south by Manor Rd), which is a really nice neighborhood that's a 5 minute drive from downtown. I knew a guy who lived in my neighborhood who commuted to Dell in Round Rock, and he told me it took him 20 minutes to get to Dell because there was no traffic going his direction.
I second this post. I used to live on Ashwood opposite the elementary school on 38 1/2 and I loved that area. AND . . . I was commuting out to Round Rock and most days it indeed only took 20 to 30 minutes. Great area to live if you want to be able to get downtown or out of town easily. The area is full of youngish singles and young hip families—if that's your scene. Now I live over around North Loop which still works out well because I'm north or downtown, but it's still a quick trip by bus or car.

I'd suggest staying north central, close to the southbound Cap Metro bus lines. When beginning to look east of I-35, start only about as far north as Mueller and then go south from there, sticking within a mile or so from I-35. I wouldn't stray too far west beyond Burnet Rd. because you'll have to transverse central Austin to get to I-35 everyday and you'll lose your advantage of being north of downtown.

If you're open to non-mega apartments, I'd suggest you use Google Maps with the real estate keywords to find a good spot. Here's a link (real estate - Google Maps) to the general area that I think would work well for you with current rentals under $1K per month plotted out. There's lots of great little houses and unique spots in this area. Keep an eye on Burnet Rd. as a good western border, and UT as a southern end point. The age demographic rises a bit as you go north of W Koenig Ln. (youngish, but more buying than renting and some young families) towards 183 until you start hitting apartment complexes further up I-35. Naturally, the further south towards UT you get, the younger and rowdier the renting demographic.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,713,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I think if you live in the Arboretum area, you might as well live in Round Rock. That far out, the Domain would be the closest thing to "urban living" that I think you'd find.

You might want to check out the Crestview area (Anderson Lane/Burnet area). Not sure what apartments are available, but it's a hot spot right now, there's quite a bit going on there, and if the MetroRail ever gets going, there's a Crestview Station and you could simply take it downtown and not have to drive either way.

FWIW, downtown is a TINY part of what's going on in Austin. People worry a lot about how far something is from downtown, but most Austinites rarely go there - there's plenty to do in other areas of the city, so it isn't a necessity.
I work downtown 5 days a week and for weekend entertainment go about once a week. I also use UT facilities for recreation once a week. TexasHorseLady is talking about surburbanites who do not work downtown and are content with multiplexes and bland chain restaurants which doesn't sound like the OP had in mind.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:21 AM

No, TexasHorseLady is not talking about "suburbanites" but about people who live in Austin proper and find no reason to go downtown. Some people do, indeed, live there, but they are a tiny portion of the overall Austin population. We lived in Barton Hills for quite some years and only went downtown at all when Whole Foods moved down there from right around the corner and Bookpeople went with them. And then only for those and for the occasional event at the Paramount (once a year or so). There's a LOT to Austin, not in the suburbs, that is exciting and interesting and non-chain or megaplex, if one only looks for it (and not very hard, at that) and doesn't work on the assumption that, in Austin, everything worth having and all the action is right downtown.

OP, another area you might consider is the Far West/Mopac area. There are definitely apartments/condos for lease in that area, it's reasonably walkable, lots of young professionals and grad students as well as families living there. And it's a quick trip downtown (and even quicker to UT), and not too bad to Round Rock (right up Mopac and either take the toll road or the roads that were there before the toll road if you don't do tolls).

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 15,720 times
Thanks to all for your help, it is helping me narrow down my search. I understand that Austin is a big place with lots of different/unique neighborhoods and lots to do. Basically I am interested in "downtown" for the night life. I'm sure there are great other spots and I hope to discover them eventually, but as I mentioned I have friends who live in S. Austin (too far from work for me though) who will be the only people that I know when I get there and I know that they frequent downtown and I would like to be able to meet up with them conveniently yet not be stuck in the car for 1.5-2 hrs a day for work.

I know there are lots of people who write on here that dislike the out of towners moving in or will probably say that 6th St. is cliche and whatnot but until I meet more people and discover more areas I believe that downtown will be of interest to me...

Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 AM

No reason it shouldn't be! That wasn't my point - just that if you're looking for night (or day!) life, you have other options in Austin. Where in South Austin do your friends live? That might be something to take into account, as well, in making recommendations. (One area might be a better commute to BOTH Round Rock and South Austin than another, depending on where in South Austin your friends live.)

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,713,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, TexasHorseLady is not talking about "suburbanites" but about people who live in Austin proper and find no reason to go downtown. Some people do, indeed, live there, but they are a tiny portion of the overall Austin population. We lived in Barton Hills for quite some years and only went downtown at all when Whole Foods moved down there from right around the corner and Bookpeople went with them. And then only for those and for the occasional event at the Paramount (once a year or so). There's a LOT to Austin, not in the suburbs, that is exciting and interesting and non-chain or megaplex, if one only looks for it (and not very hard, at that) and doesn't work on the assumption that, in Austin, everything worth having and all the action is right downtown.

OP, another area you might consider is the Far West/Mopac area. There are definitely apartments/condos for lease in that area, it's reasonably walkable, lots of young professionals and grad students as well as families living there. And it's a quick trip downtown (and even quicker to UT), and not too bad to Round Rock (right up Mopac and either take the toll road or the roads that were there before the toll road if you don't do tolls).
Looks like we will have to agree to disagree again. Its also not just the number of people who work there, which is growing fast, but the number who do business there. UT employs 10k FT and 10k PT. The biggest concentration of employment is still downtown Austin in this region with state and local gov't being the biggest. Most of the big annual events that you hear street closing for are still DT (Capital 10k ACL, SxSW, etc.) Also we now have the tallest residential building west of the Mississippi in the 680 ft. Austonian and there is more on the way:

City of Austin - Downtown Redevelopment

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,784,114 times
I've been watching the Post West Austin go up and think it's a nice development. It certainly is conveniently located, imo. Probably out of your price range however, if you're considering the Mosaic at all, rents may not be out of line. It's located near 45th and Bull Creek Rd just east of Mopac. It would be a quick trip downtown via Mopac, easy access to RR via Mopac/toll road.
Ardent Residential - Post West Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin