Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

Go the Capitol on a business day and stroll the gardens then head inside for a tour then watch the government at work! It's a great way to spend a half day!

Also, try canoeing down Barton Springs. You can get a half-off coupon online for a canoe rental before noon.

Terror Tuesdays and Weird Wednesdays at Alamo Drafthouse are a blast. Definitely try them out!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM
McJ

169 posts, read 480,284 times
since you are a vegetarian check out this forum
Vegans Rock Austin!
They have lots of meet ups and potlucks (none are listed at the moment but it is updated often)

Old 12-29-2009, 06:54 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
hah. i actually am a vegetarian and not into hurting or wearing animals.
That's cool that you like animals. In tandem with NCW's idea, you could feed the squirrels on the capitol lawn (my kids love it, strange -I know). They will take bread out of your hands, but you have to be patient. There are ducks, geese, swans and turtles on Barton Creek near Lou Neff point that you could feed as well. I not obsessed with feeding animals, but I was on the subject. There is also a petting zoo somewhere.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Go the Capitol on a business day and stroll the gardens then head inside for a tour then watch the government at work! It's a great way to spend a half day!

Also, try canoeing down Barton Springs. You can get a half-off coupon online for a canoe rental before noon.

Terror Tuesdays and Weird Wednesdays at Alamo Drafthouse are a blast. Definitely try them out!!!
I second the midnight shows NCW mentioned at the drafthouse....so many great B-movies, and free to boot. It was better at the old place on Congress, but the new one is okay.....the pinnacle of the same was the grindhouse premiere in may 2007, when they had an all night b-movie fest....bad mafia movies, cheerleader soft-core, biker, kung-fu flicks.....and trailers in-between
each movie...a classic time.....

I prob ran into NCW without knowing it on tuesdays/wednesdays......the best alamo events are the themed ones, sometimes with food to match the occasion, and the sing-a-longs as well....

The Alamo DH rules.....

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
i love feeding animals!

Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
i love feeding animals!
Per feeding pigeons in large cities, I always learn the hard way that once you feed one, a thousand of his friends come to partake as well. In a strange but cool way, it makes you feel like St. Francis of Assisi.....

Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 22,159 times
The standard answers for cheap/free no eating/drinking group activities:
  • Going to movies
  • Bowling
  • Putt-putt
  • Free concerts in parks -- Blues on the Green, Unplugged at the Grove, etc.
  • Free movies in parks -- Deep Eddy Dive-In, 101X Movies in the Park at Central Market
  • Museums? -- not open at night though. (I still haven't been to the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum and REALLY want to go!)
  • Hike-n-Bike -- we have miles and miles of trails and water and free swimming holes, you just gotta find them on the Greenbelt! See Twin Falls (http://thisislifeinaustin.com/2008/06/15/twin-falls/ - broken link) and, thanks to a reader, Sculpture Falls. More of a daytime than nighttime activity, but I thought I'd throw it on here.
  • Live music, of course. Free concert series at Hills Cafe on Wednesdays. There are many others.
Source: Cheap/Free No Eating/Drinking Things to Do - Austin, cheap, do, free, things, things to do, to | Austin Post

Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Sit at home drinking cheap vodka and kool-aid with the shades closed?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:48 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Sit at home drinking cheap vodka and kool-aid with the shades closed?
no lol. im not depressed!

Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times
Have you heard of geocaching? You just need a GPS device (plus of course a computer and online access) to join an inventive community of treasure-hunting outdoorsy types....

Austin Geocaching
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: