Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM

809 posts, read 1,857,129 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'll Post 2 points from A to B and whoever can chart the BEST route including street names etc..., quote the 2 points and post the best route. then the next person post 2 points and let someone else chart the best route and so on. Since we have the wackiest street name changes on earth, let's see if we can give out-of-towners a guide to the quickest way of getting around Austin when they are here.

to: the Triangle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:21 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,835,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Ok. I'll Post 2 points from A to B and whoever can chart the BEST route including street names etc..., quote the 2 points and post the best route. then the next person post 2 points and let someone else chart the best route and so on. Since we have the wackiest street name changes on earth, let's see if we can give out-of-towners a guide to the quickest way of getting around Austin when they are here.

to: the Triangle

This one has time of day considerations.

NON RUSH HOUR ROUTE (LIKE 2AM IN THE MORNING)

1) Head south from wherever you are in the University and get to Woodward Street.
2) Head East on Woodward (Turn left if you are facing south) and go under I35
3) Take I35 North up to the Manor Rd exit THIS IS A LEFT EXIT. Go left at airport (Might say 51st, I don't remember b/c I am usually coming from north). Get into the left most lane you can is a Good rule of thumb here.
4) Turn left onto 45th street from Airport. I can't remember if there's a light, but pretty sure there is. It can be a sharp turn, make sure to stay in the left lane.
5) Take 45th street all the way down to the Triangle. Either where 45th intersects with Guadalupe or Lamar.

RUSH HOUR ROUTE (PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS RUSH HOUR WHEN DRIVING PAST RIVERSIDE)

AVOID I35 LIKE THE PLAUGE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DRIVE PAST RIVERSIDE, THE WORST SECTION OF 35 IN ALL OF AUSTIN.

1) Head South from wherever you are in the university and get to Woodward Street (caveat, you can get to congress from University, but I find that to be the busiest entrance and not worth the time).
2) Head West on Woodward (a right turn if you are facing South)
3) Head down Woodward to First street. Woodward will change names to "Light"-something, but you are okay.
4) Turn Right on First st.
5) You can take First almost all the way to the triangle, but I don't because 1st St and Congress are always congested. I prefer Lamar because it has better traffic flow. SO From 1st St, make a left onto Oltorf.
6) Take Oltorf all the way down to Lamar.
7) Turn right on Lamar.
8) Take Lamar all the way to the Triangle.

I avoid Mopac, for such a short trip, but you can take it as well.

Alright. Best way to get from A) HEB Parmer/McNeil to B) Seton Hospital on 38th

Last edited by JayBrown80; 01-05-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,994,299 times
West on Woodward.
North on Congress.
Left on Riverside.
North on Lamar.

Total is about 15 minutes outside of rush hour times (for reference went from the Triangle to Barton Hills on Saturday afternoon in 12 minutes). Getting on 35 or Mopac isn't worth the minimal time savings, IMHO, since Lamar is a pretty nice drive.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,044,821 times
Quote:
Since we have the wackiest street name changes on earth, let's see if we can give out-of-towners a guide to the quickest way of getting around Austin when they are here.
Wow, y'all are more generous and "Texas Friendly" than I am! I prefer not to share my best in-town, work around, back roads routes with anyone! At least not on a public forum, maybe via DM.

Much depends on time of day. The Manor exit northbound on I35 is not a left exit, it is the first exit down below past the split for the upper deck and it is a regular right lane exit. If I was going this way, I'd exit 38th street and take 38th straight west to the Triangle.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Alright. Best way to get from A) HEB Parmer/McNeil to B) Seton Hospital on 38th
2 ways to make this one fast:

from HEB head east on Parmer to Mopac,
head south on Mopac to 35th exit.
make turnround over Mopac and head east on 35th
turn left on Burnet or Lamar or Guadalupe(depending on what part of 38th you need to reach. they all cross 38th street.

from HEB head west Anderson Mill to 183
go south on 183 to Mopac flyover heading south
south on Mopac to 35th exit
turn left on Burnet or Lamar or Guadalupe(depending on what part of 38th you need to reac. they all cross 38th street.

centralsuatinite, don't be like that. you know we can use this info to help us get to where we are going faster. even us who live here..lol

Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Wow, y'all are more generous and "Texas Friendly" than I am! I prefer not to share my best in-town, work around, back roads routes with anyone! At least not on a public forum, maybe via DM.

Much depends on time of day. The Manor exit northbound on I35 is not a left exit, it is the first exit down below past the split for the upper deck and it is a regular right lane exit. If I was going this way, I'd exit 38th street and take 38th straight west to the Triangle.
I know coming from North I take the 38 Street exit. Then turn on 40th (??) st, the one that runs past the College HEB. It has a sign that says Plumber Association or something.

But I could have sworn coming SOUTH it was a left exit to get to Airport.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 PM

To: City Park

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
2 ways to make this one fast:

from HEB head east on Parmer to Mopac,
head south on Mopac to 35th exit.
make turnround over Mopac and head east on 35th
turn left on Burnet or Lamar or Guadalupe(depending on what part of 38th you need to reach. they all cross 38th street.

from HEB head west Anderson Mill to 183
go south on 183 to Mopac flyover heading south
south on Mopac to 35th exit
turn left on Burnet or Lamar or Guadalupe(depending on what part of 38th you need to reac. they all cross 38th street.

centralsuatinite, don't be like that. you know we can use this info to help us get to where we are going faster. even us who live here..lol
I do both, depending on how traffic looks. The main thing I was going to see is if anyone specifically mentioned how 35th street splits halfway down from Mopac and becomes 35th street one way and 38th the other. If you don't stay in the left lanes, you usually miss the turn. The sign advising you which way is which is teeny tiny and AT the turn, so by the time you are close enough to read it, you are commited one way or the other.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
West on Woodward.
North on Congress.
Left on Riverside.
North on Lamar.

Total is about 15 minutes outside of rush hour times (for reference went from the Triangle to Barton Hills on Saturday afternoon in 12 minutes). Getting on 35 or Mopac isn't worth the minimal time savings, IMHO, since Lamar is a pretty nice drive.
I agree with Lamar, but it would take a million dollars for me to drive East or West on Riverside. Boy do I hate the traffic on Riverside. That's why I just turn a little earlier on Oltorf to get to Lamar.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,044,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I know coming from North I take the 38 Street exit. Then turn on 40th (??) st, the one that runs past the College HEB. It has a sign that says Plumber Association or something.

But I could have sworn coming SOUTH it was a left exit to get to Airport.
No, the exit to Airport from northbound I-35 is a right exit BUT then from the frontage road to Airport Blvd proper, there is a strange double set of turning lanes, and you can take the left set to turn west/north on Airport.

Well, I'll try to help out with south and central Austin routes, honestly, I find the roads in north Austin confusing and that is one reason that I just don't venture there. Example, I couldn't tell you where the Parmer Road HEB is to save my life!

ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: