Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

809 posts, read 1,861,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Might not be a rat, but it's still a rodent (yuuuck!!), and can be just really destructive. They are an invasive non-native pest species.

I would never go near one, period.
right!...and the fleas and other possible diseases they carry sleeping and living in standing water?...ewww. ...disgusting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I grant you the non-native invasive species - they really shouldn't be here, they should be in South America, and importing them was one of those "but it seemed like a good idea at the time!" mistakes. But the rest? They sleep in burrows, not in standing water, though the entrance is often under water for security reasons. As I said, they tend to be very tidy about themselves, much like cats. They're pretty friendly, once they get to know you, and pretty intelligent, too.

So, any "ewwww!" factor, from someone who's known them pretty well, has to be on the part of the person, not the nutria itself.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,489 times
I've seen these at Landa park and didn't know what they were...we even fed them bread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
they tend to be very tidy about themselves, much like cats.
don't start a new thread...cats are disgusting...so eww on them too.

Quote:
They're pretty friendly, once they get to know you, and pretty intelligent, too.
There's nothing friendly about a giant Rat in my backyard burrowing and eating up my plants making enemies with my dog.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpttrmom View Post
I've seen these at Landa park and didn't know what they were...we even fed them bread

DON'T FEED THE RATS!

Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM

My point was, some people like dogs and hate cats, some people like cats and hate dogs, some people (like me) like both, and that has little or nothing to do with the animals themselves and everything to do with the people who like or dislike one or the other. No matter what they tell themselves.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My point was, some people like dogs and hate cats, some people like cats and hate dogs, some people (like me) like both, and that has little or nothing to do with the animals themselves and everything to do with the people who like or dislike one or the other. No matter what they tell themselves.
Why did you get rid of your Nutria pet?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 PM

There were a couple of them, raised from babies, at different times. They each decided, at a certain point, gradually that they wanted to live in the wild (which pretty much surrounded us at the time - "Don't leave the yard" meant 800 acres) and we let them. If that hadn't happened, they'd be gone by now, anyway, given that that was 50 years ago, give or take.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I have to disagree with that statement. Being able to see deer and other wildlife from my back window is one of the little things that make living in Austin desirable. You won't know what you have until it's gone. (and please do not respond by quoting Joni Mitchell, ty.)
I love deer- in the wild. But when there are deers lying dead and swollen up in the street- as one was at Doss Elementary School not too long ago- the time for roaming deer is up. Also, they cause lots of property damage and are typhus deer carriers. I don't want to pave paradise, but there is a time and place for everything.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I love deer- in the wild. But when there are deers lying dead and swollen up in the street- as one was at Doss Elementary School not too long ago- the time for roaming deer is up. Also, they cause lots of property damage and are typhus deer carriers. I don't want to pave paradise, but there is a time and place for everything.
The city will pick them up fairly quickly, if someone calls. Or they did a few months ago when I called 311 about one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin