Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,672 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Austin from Omaha and love it here. We need some furniture for our house -- any suggestions on great places to shop? We don't have a huge budget but don't want to shop Target either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM

629 posts, read 1,645,895 times
Haverty's (some good stuff and decent service)
Gage (average stuff, but depressing store)
IKEA! (it's...well...IKEA! If you look hard enough, you'll find some real quality pieces)
Austin Furniture Consignment (usually have a few gems, check back often)
Home Consignment Center (they have a few gems, but not as cheap as you'd think)
SofaMart/Oak Express (bleh)
Rooms To Go (typical stuff, not as cheap as you'd think)
World Market (surprisingly affordable and often unique stuff)
Z Gallerie (expensive but cool stuff)

That's where I shopped when I first arrived in northwest Austin. I ended up selling the old couch at Austin Furniture Consignment, and I bought a new couch from Haverty's, media and bedroom furniture from IKEA, dining furniture from World Market (my favorite pieces), and some accent pieces from Z Gallerie. Oh, and yes, I have a few "filler" pieces from Target (online) - not meant for use, just looks.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,411,371 times
Crate and Barrel. You can find affordable furniture downstairs. The upstairs furniture will be a little more expensive. I think it's a good value, upstairs or down. Also, Pottery Barn, not too expensive.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,792,628 times
For inexpensive stuff, I like Lacks and Star Furniture. I've had problems with furniture from Gage and Ikea (although they always have some cool looking stuff, esp for small spaces). Haverty's always seemed overpriced, but I guess it is supposed to be decent quality.

Oh, I guess for other really cheap stuff you can try garden ridge... they have chairs, stools, tables, etc. Good for cheap stuff to hang on walls, too.

If you have some money, however, Louis Shanks and Copenhagen are really good.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Depends on your style! If you like modern, Scandanavia--->Urban Living --->Eurway--->Ikea.
Traditional, Louis Shanks ---->Star---->Gage---->Cort
Exotic, Jaya--->Zanzibar--->Four Hands --->World Market

Then there are some pretty good consignment stores and Goodwill.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:15 PM

874 posts, read 2,883,358 times
Is Eurway still in Austin? I thought it was gone...

Lots of good suggestions here. In addition, you might consider the Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn outlets in San Marcos if you have your own pickup or other truck (I don't know if they deliver or not) - not too far of a drive and sometimes they have some good stuff there.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
Is Eurway still in Austin? I thought it was gone...

Lots of good suggestions here. In addition, you might consider the Crate and Barrel or Pottery Barn outlets in San Marcos if you have your own pickup or other truck (I don't know if they deliver or not) - not too far of a drive and sometimes they have some good stuff there.
Eurway - gone in Austin. Blame Ikea, I think.

I'd advise to just avoid Rooms to Go. Poor quality furniture that isn't worth the price. I have two couches from them and am dissatisfied.

I actually like Gage for what I'm looking for.

I also like some things from Ashley - for example their millennium edition line is pretty nice.

The consignment store is nice. Got a few items from there.

I have a lot of space to fill, so I try to get a deal when I can.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM

189 posts, read 294,757 times
North Burnett Rd just South and North of 2222. Lot's of funiture stores. Make a day of it.......drive up and stop off at lots of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin