Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrrmom View Post
WHY doe's there have to be a competion of how negative one can be about a place they choose not to live!
I don't see any competition taking place. I see opinions. You have one, I have one. I don't feel any need to compete with you about who is "correct" because there's no such thing as a correct opinion. I dislike suburbs, you like them. That works beautifully for both of us because we each get to live in places we enjoy. So where's the competition? The only way we'd be competing is if we were both trying to buy the same condo on 2nd Street or the same house in Round Rock. But as luck would have it, we've each found our spot and we're getting our needs met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM

225 posts, read 851,006 times
TheHarvester- I value your opinion, I just shared my feelings!

I just feel people are harsh, I love the city, but can not afford to have what I want and people in the burbs, are filling the city and having fun...... we don't have it all the time....so it's really fun for us. Since our goals are different- safe enviroments for our family and quality schools, without paying WAY too much for a "home"....that is what we all strive for and we all find it, give and take, that is what being a parent doe's to you, YOUR lives change as soon as the day of birth and it is SO worth it

I am a SAHM so my child is the most important, not the address and SO lucky I keep finding that special place in the burbs in every city, SO lucky SO far

Did not want to offend, but felt offended at same time, just living the simple life, wherever it may take "us" as a family!

PLEASE... like all the posts I read, take with a grain of salt and don't let it ruin your thoughts....I am just a person living the DREAM.........

PS- Thanks for spelling competition right, I meant to get back to that

PSS- I OWN A STARBUCKS-!!!! (just kidding)

Last edited by newrrmom; 06-05-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I just wanted to comment, even though the above posts weren't pointed at me. I think the city can be a good place to raise kids, although schools can be a bit of an issue. When we lived very near Downtown Denver (before I was pregnant/after I had my daughter) we had little pocket parks all over where I could take her to play. (One of our favorites was the "turtle" park, and she could play in the sand, swing, etc..There was stapleton pretty close as well, and they had the coolest pool ever, and she took her first swimming lessons there. Since we had no family there, she went everywhere with us, including Festivals. She was always happy to listen to live music outdoors (We went to MANY festivals since we couldn't very well take her to clubs). We moved to Hutto right before she was two, and she loves going dowtown "sploring". She also liked SXSW. The one thing we didn't really have when we lived in Denver was a very good sized yard. They were pretty small. We like where we're at now because of the yard and school. One thing I liked about city life that I DO miss is being able to put her in the bike trailer and go nearly anywhere cool. When I say "Cool", I mean I lived nearly across the street from the Denver Zoo and City Park. Also the museums are right there. We could even bike into Cherry Creek. It was very bike and walking friendly, and here, not so much.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM

love roses
I lived in Denver too in Cherry Creek!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 PM

TheHarvester
I lived in Santa Ynez, over the hill form SB, small world....

Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Wow! What a small world! I used to take my daughter to play on the "breakfast" at the mall. We lived in Park Hill (The Overlook, behind the golf course).

Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Small world-- I lived in Denver as well, during my "sploring" days. I lived on South Federal near Sheridan (not the most desirable place), but loved taking the light rail or the bike trail to Colfax of 16th Street.

Back to the question at hand... I live near the intersection of Burnet Road and North Loop Boulevard, in the Rosedale/Allendale area. To long-time Austinites it's North Austin, to real estate agents it's FUNKY CENTRAL AUSTIN!!! and to me, North Central will do.

I'm here because it is very affordable (to rent, at least) and still has a lot of Austin charm with Billy's and Ginny's bars, all the thrift stores, the Austin Diner, the Omelletry, etc. It also hasn't been overrun by yupsters and bobos who have diluted the real down-home Austin atmosphere in places like Hyde Park and Clarksville. It's a 5 minute drive to the middle of Hyde Park and 10 minutes to downtown. If I have enough time, I can ride my bike down the Shoal Creek Trail to everything Austin has to offer, or to swim and enjoy nature at Bull Creek, within a half hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin