Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I also know that the Lake Travis kids like to throw certain "parties" if you know what i mean. And what surprises me is its a lot of the higher ranked (as in class rank, not adults) people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I know this because I actually know things that the parents of Lake Travis don't/wouldn't believe. You dont have to believe me. Doesn't mean it isn't there. I know a lot of people all over the city as a result of going to many high schools all the time. There is a stereotype for every high school. For Lake Travis, its that the kids there are rich, white, and full of coke. And not the coke you drink if you get me. It's a colloquial kind of thing among us. There is no study or hard evidence for this, but like I said...
The "I actually know things" stuff is just like the assumed stereotypes about Westlake - the kids are richer so they just do better drugs. I think these kinds of stereotypes/statements are just fun to say.

Any parent of an involved high school student with a good relationship knows there are drugs in the high school. And you also meet and know lots of other families. You also learn about their kids experiences. So I KNOW there are drugs at LTHS. I also KNOW that the majority of kids, even if they have exposure to drugs, don't have a problem.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The "I actually know things" stuff is just like the assumed stereotypes about Westlake - the kids are richer so they just do better drugs. I think these kinds of stereotypes/statements are just fun to say.

Any parent of an involved high school student with a good relationship knows there are drugs in the high school. And you also meet and know lots of other families. You also learn about their kids experiences. So I KNOW there are drugs at LTHS. I also KNOW that the majority of kids, even if they have exposure to drugs, don't have a problem.
Oh of course I never meant EVERYONE was doing them, but the prevalence is higher. Obviously not a majority. That would be quite a site if it was lol

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM

78 posts, read 123,373 times
Lakeway is pretty far out. You don't feel like you live in Austin. Westlake is closer to downtown Austin than South Austin is. In Westlake you feel like you live in the country AND the heart of Austin. Lakeway is nice, but far out.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:21 PM

18 posts, read 25,718 times
I went to Westlake in the late 90s. I agree that Westlake has a good academic program - many courses for students to challenge and enrich themselves. Someone mentioned finding a niche at Westlake. There are many programs - yearbook, sports, art, drama, dance, band, choir, orchestra, etc and I agree joining one of them will help students feel like they belong at Westlake and it helps you bond with other students. Westlake students have a reputation for being spoiled rich kids and this is true for quite a few of the students (not all). Students often have wealthy parents (it is in an expensive area) and some parents just give their kids whatever they want. Other parents like mine lived a more modest lifestyle and teach that to their kids. If you choose Westlake, make absolutely sure your kids understand how to live modestly and they don't need extravagant things (BMWs, $200 shoes, etc) to do well in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin