Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM

189 posts, read 296,489 times

Advertisements

How many holes on that frisby gold course on Lamar and about 12th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
You mean Frisbee Golf? It's Pease Park, and I think it's 18 holes. You could call it Disc Golf, but please, not "frolf" or anything like that. It is a very technical course. If you throw backhand left handed or sidearm right handed, then you are asking to lose at least one disc on the first 5 holes in the creek on the right side (overstability). They are $15/disc so overcompensate to the left if you can. If you are a beginner, do yourself a flavor and play Zilker instead. I aced a 350 footer there not too long ago. My name is on one of the holes in sharpie.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 PM

What??? The disks are 15$? I thought people were using 1 dollar frisbies. Where do you buy the disks? Is there a cost to use either course?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
The city calls it "disk golf." There are five course, the one at Pease Park (which extends up the greenbelt where you see it along Lamar) used to have 21 holes but it is now just 18 holes! It is considered the toughest course in Austin, par 54.

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Disc Golf Courses

These folks should be able to answer your questions.

http://www.austindiscgolf.org/

But you don't play with a $1 frisbee, there are "driver" disks for longer distances, and others for short tosses.

Now, you've got me interested! Here's a link that explains all the basics of disk golf:

http://www.discnation.com/Welcome-to-the-Incredible-Sport-of-Disc-Golf-or-Frisbee-Golf-sp-1.html (broken link)

Last edited by centralaustinite; 01-24-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
What??? The disks are 15$? I thought people were using 1 dollar frisbies. Where do you buy the disks? Is there a cost to use either course?
You can buy them at several sporting goods stores around town. The link centralaustinite posted should have some recos for that. I used to play that course off shoal creek/pease park long time ago. I did on occasion throw it in the creek... and I went into the creek and recovered it. Since it's more expensive than a golf ball, people tend to do that... but the courses are free. And you can buy the discs used at a place like Play it Again sports.

As for how many you need, really you can get by with only 2 discs -- a "driver" and a "putter". Obviously the driver is for long distances, straight and fast (and heavier). A putter is slow and floats around a bit more. A regular frisbee is pretty difficult to control; that's why you usually throw it to someone (who can move and catch it) rather than throwing it at a stationary target.

One final tip -- As jobert mentioned, when you buy your discs -- write your name and phone number underneath in permanent marker. If it gets stuck in a tree, or goes into the creek and you lose it, chances are sometime (storm or something) it will come down again near the course. Other disc players who may come across will then know what to do (either keep it, or be cool about it and call you. you'd be suprised how many times it's the latter).

Last edited by atxcio; 01-24-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Went and bought a set of disks at Academy today with a friend, then played 18 holes. Good fun for sure........

Good work Austin for providing the disk courses.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,910 times
C'mon, Frolf is such a great name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin