Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:06 PM

189 posts, read 296,432 times

Advertisements

Ok, they could have replaced the meet on my burger with a hockey puck, but the fries were very good.

But......that place just shows interesting films.....ALL THE TIME. I must have saw previews for 5 special event movies I would go and see if I could remember the dates they were going to play.

Who runs that place, who's idea is it? I have to give that place the thumbs up. Tell me about some special event's you've been to there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
Ok, they could have replaced the meet on my burger with a hockey puck, but the fries were very good.

But......that place just shows interesting films.....ALL THE TIME. I must have saw previews for 5 special event movies I would go and see if I could remember the dates they were going to play.

Who runs that place, who's idea is it? I have to give that place the thumbs up. Tell me about some special event's you've been to there.

Most of the food is bad. Ill either get a bbq chicken pizza or the philly cheese steak. They cant screw up beer in a bottle though

One of my favorites is when they showed jaws on the lake and everyone floated on inflatables, they had scuba divers that swam underneath and pulled peoples feet.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM

132 posts, read 496,968 times
Recently, I saw Religulous there. The stuff they were playing leading up to it was great!

I used to go see Spike & Mike's Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation at the AD, but the shows kept getting shorter and shorter and would play the same stuff each year.

The used to do a Saturday morning cartoons and cereal show, too.

Haven't been in more than a couple of years, though.

D

Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM

313 posts, read 786,355 times
There is no better place anywhere to watch a movie than the Alamo. Let me give you my reasons:

1) local beer Live Oak Heffeweizen. One of the highest rated Heffeweizens in the world by Beer Advocate and only available on draught and only in Austin.
2) they play relevent clips before a movie. For instance, District 9 was born of an attempt to make a movie from the video game Halo. The director and the producer decided instead to make District 9 so they played clips of the concept film for the Halo movie before it started. This is the only theater I intentionally show up before the film begins. For "I am Legend" they played clips from the previous version of the movie from 40 years ago. For Transformers, they played clips of transformers cartoons.
3) I think the food is OK. I really like the parmesan-herb popcorn.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM

440 posts, read 1,682,315 times
I LOVE their fries and the chocolate milkshake.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
They have kicka$$ migas on the weekends and I love the "Love At First Bite" pizza. The Big Lebowski Quote-A-Thons are some of the greatest nights to be had at Alamo. I also went to a Beastie Boys Sing-A-Long recently and it was obnoxiously fun, complete with mini tambourines and fake moustaches. Terror Tuesday also can't be beat for just $1.00. I absolutely howl at the "Be Quiet or Ann Richards Will Take Your Ass Out" promo they show before the movie starts, too. The Bollywood shorts and old 70's beer commercials rock, too. Aww geez I could go on and on here.

Alamo Drafthouse is definitely one of my favorite things in Austin.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
No offense to any parents but I really love the fact that kids/teenagers are almost nonexistent at the Alamo. Makes for better choices in the movies playing and a better viewing experience.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
I love it and I really like their pizza and, surprisingly, their salad w/ house vinaigrette. I second the parma popcorn.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
The green chili queso fries are awesome. Generally, stick to the appetizers since most of the main dishes are blah. I don't know if they do it anymore since it wasn't on the menu but if you're not drinking alcohol you could ask for a pitcher of tea which was $5 instead of the $4 for a single glass.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
I love the place, but hate the SHHHHHH mode, per not being able to talk during a movie...not that I would anyway, but a little bit weird to be told not to before every flick......but that's my only gripe...

The imagination of the parings/playlists and themes, with all the peripheral thingies, are nothing short of genius....

The owner is from Boston, and brought his quirky slant/love for movies over to Austin a few decades ago. Not an Austin native, but who is?..

Sounds like most of you have never been in the old congress location, with the unique church pewish seating, and the surfaces for goodies/snacks/beers. That place later became a nightclub, and the one you guys go in is a new and improved place, that used to be ANOTHER nightclub called the RITZ......

best thing about the alamo is it makes those of us who have only been here a year or less feel like locals/down with it, as if we were here for decades.....i'm sure not many here go back terribly far in their time enjoying the alamo....and those that do prob aren't on this forum, pretty much orientated to new arrivals.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin