Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM

312 posts, read 797,831 times

Advertisements

I'm the guy who lives in Phoenix who wants to move to Austin. I posted a few threads on here last year trying to get a feel for Austin as well as advice on how to go about finding a job and a place to live. Some of the comments I found to be less than helpful, and I expressed my dismay about that on here, but other comments were very helpful.

Hopefully I can get some good feedback, advice, tips, pointers and thoughts this time from many of you as well. I am open to the constructive comments as well as the "don't come here, Austin's getting too crowded" ones, because they are all informative.

1. I am coming for sure the latter part of March. I will probably buy my one-way Amtrak ticket next weekend. I have begun looking on Craigslist for a short-term rental, no longer than six months and maybe only for 2-3 months, as I understand most apartment complexes will not even touch you without a certain length of time on the job locally, plus I have some challenges with my credit rating that will disqualify me for sure from the "A-list" complexes. And there's NO possible way I'm in the market to purchase a home at this stage in my life.

1a. Any other places to check besides CL for a short-term rental? Based on an estimate on how much I will be paid (and be able to put aside) between now and when I move, I won't be able to pay more than $350-400/mo, and yes, I know that might be way too low, but if someone might open up a spare bedroom that would help me avoid living in the homeless shelter (which I have had to do before in other cities such as my current city of Phoenix and Dallas and Las Vegas before that, and somehow done just fine after a time).

2. Looking for work: I have tried sending letters of introduction (by e-mail) to some of the temp agencies and have heard nothing back, so I guess I won't be able to line up a job before I arrive...but I have several places to call once I arrive. I am a graphic designer, who has also worked in the call center field as a CSR. I have NEVER been able to line up employment before relocating to any city and I have moved something like 6-7 times in the last 15 years.

3. Neighborhoods: For a short-term place to crash while I establish myself I am not too picky whatsoever (except for super-hard-partying UT students, that might not work, I just turned 40), but would really love a long-term apartment somewhere in the Allandale/Rosedale sector if at all possible, that's the first part of town I got to know (outside of Round Rock) and it looks cool. I am becoming more and more open to south of the river but need to really explore that area when I arrive. I do not own a car so most of the north suburbs must be off limits as far as housing and employment.

Thanks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
Call Aquent and line something up with them. Liaison resources also does placements, but not temp work.

Not sure about other venues for finding housing. I'd suggest craigslist but you're already looking at it. Maybe the Austin Chronicle paper?

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
To find something in the 300-400 a month price range, you are going to have to deal with some students! But remember it will just be short-term. Try Longhorn Landing, and other complexes around the Riverside/Wickersham area. It is a far-cry from Rosedale that is for sure, but it the only place in your immediate price range. And the bus service is good and you can walk to grocery stores and drugstores.

Keep looking at CL and the Austin Chronicle, you might get lucky and pick up a sub-lease somewhere, keep an eye out for the Far West area, there are many apartments and condos in that area, you can walk to grocery stores, libraries, post office, drug stores, you might find someone desperate to sub-lease at a small loss. The bus service is pretty good too and you could always gab the UT shuttle to central austin.

good luck

Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
If you're open to living with someone else, there seem to be a lot of ads in the Rooms/Shared section on craigslist.

As for Temp agencies, they are not going to call you - you have to call them, or show up. Different temp companies seem to specialize in different types of jobs - manufacturing, warehouse, engineering, etc. Try one of the larger nationwide companies like Manpower or Kelly - they might be a starting point. I'd start making phone calls now and ask to speak to a recruiter and just feel out they types of jobs that company places. You might luck out and get someone who will keep an eye out for a job that fits your qualifications.

Here's a Yahoo Yellow pages listing of the Temp agencies in town:

Yahoo! Yellow Pages

Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Call Aquent and line something up with them. Liaison resources also does placements, but not temp work.
I forgot to include the fact that these are both agencies specializing in finding jobs for creatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin