Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times

Advertisements

On Chicago friendliness, I've noticed this as well. Every single person I've ever met from Chicago was extremely friendly and down-to-earth, even moreso than people in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I don't know if I would say more so than people in Texas (rootin' for the home state here), but it definitely is a genuine friendliness that fits in well around here.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
On Chicago friendliness, I've noticed this as well. Every single person I've ever met from Chicago was extremely friendly and down-to-earth, even moreso than people in Texas.
To this and the poster from Chicago looking to meet friends....an acquaintance of mine told me about a bar somewhere here in Austin that has a Bears fan club - watches all the games, etc. it might be a great place to start meeting friends! I wish I could remember the name or location of the bar for sure, but I googled Chicago Bears Fan Club and found the name of this Austin bar as an Austin chapter for Bears club:

Click Billards Inc.
10205 N. Lamar Blvd.
512-837-4688

You might also look around at meetup.com if you aren't a Chicago Bears fan for other Chicago-related meetups in Austin.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
To this and the poster from Chicago looking to meet friends....an acquaintance of mine told me about a bar somewhere here in Austin that has a Bears fan club - watches all the games, etc. it might be a great place to start meeting friends! I wish I could remember the name or location of the bar for sure, but I googled Chicago Bears Fan Club and found the name of this Austin bar as an Austin chapter for Bears club:

Click Billards Inc.
10205 N. Lamar Blvd.
512-837-4688

You might also look around at meetup.com if you aren't a Chicago Bears fan for other Chicago-related meetups in Austin.

http://limelight-715.static.dailymotion.com/dyn/preview/320x240/2679715.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 AM

288 posts, read 811,953 times
My wife and I fit the description of the OP and some of the other folks here. We're also in our early 30's with no kids (yet anyway) and just moved here in the past month.

It seems meeting friends for people in our age group is a little harder than when you're in college. I think people with kids have an easier time since you meet other parents through your kids activities. Us new to town 30 somethings with no kids just need to start our own "club" or something since we're all in the same boat.

I think what alot of others have said about joining a church, volunteering, etc. is a good way to meet people too. Finding the right church has been the stickler for us so far, but when we find one I'm sure the rest will fall into place.

The fact we're in a place with a majority of friendly people helps too!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 96,115 times
I just moved here from Southern California 3 weeks ago. I'm in my late 20s and kind of out of the bar/party scene. I wasn't much into it but I just want to settle down and move forward. I'm single with no kids and I live alone. I plan on meeting people and it sure seems a bit difficult since I'm not much of a social type to start up a conversation. I live in a community where everyone on the block are married with kids. Anyone up for coffee or any type of hangout? Doesn't matter if you are married, just bring your partner along!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,550 times
Default New transplant

Can you stand yet another:
My husband and I recently relocated to Round Rock from Chicago suburbs. We are also in our early to mid 30's, no kids, like to go out to bar/clubs and for some good dining. Husband is a huge Bears fan. Did that club get started yet?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
I've met people on my different visits to Austin. One night my husband and I were hanging out on the bridge waiting for the bats. They didn't show until AFTER dark and then we couldn't see them but we had a fun time talking to a bunch of folks hanging out on the bridge. I imagine if we'd moved already we could've hooked up with some of them again for drinks.

Also, we went to Central Market and sat out in the cafe to watch a band and someone asked to share our table since it was so crowded. We talked to that guy for some time.

I guess if you're outgoing (read: blabbermouth) like me, it's not an issue! Seems like I can talk to anyone about anything, well, except for sports.

I think the workplace is where you first start meeting people though. I have lots of friends that are former co-workers.

Good luck! You'll do fine. Austin is a very friendly place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin