Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 PM

10 posts, read 39,394 times

Advertisements

my wife is a e.s.l. kindergarten teacher in phx she has 14 years in the classroom she has her bachlors degree her masters degree in elementary education another masters degree in guidence counseling and working on her phd in teacher leadership were moving to texas in the summertime i was wondering if there was any teachers out there in texas that know of any upcoming teacher job fairs and what would be the best one to go to land a kindergarten job she has already sent her application in with a review of her credentals to the state board of educator any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by josiemiller72; 01-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: forgot to put years of exp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
All the districts have websites...Round Rock ISD, Leander ISD, Austin ISD, Dripping Springs ISD, Pflugerville ISD, Hutto ISD, Taylor ISD, Bastrop ISD, and several others I know I accidentally left out. I'm not a teacher yet, just a substitute working on a degree and certification. It's pretty competitive out here right now, but all of the district websites have employment information listed and you can submit an application online. I recently applied for an aide position (there were 3 openings) and found out that 200 people had applied for it.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 18,854 times
Default Pflugerville ISD - Avoid It!

Avoid the Pflugerville ISD. The teachers are good but the administrators lack vision, courage, common sense, and any people skills! Check out the other local ISDs for real opportunities you'll enjoy. Avoid Hooterville.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Instead of just wasting hot air complaining about it and then running away from the problem like so many people are prone to do...why not take the road less traveled and actually get involved, and I mean REALLY involved in the school. Go to PTC meetings, get on the board, go to school board meetings, volunteer, write letters.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
AISD - Austin Independent School District. Budget shortfall..cuts being considered.

Carstarphen: AISD Faces Budget Crisis (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/education/012110-Carstarphen-AISD-Faces-Budget-Crisis - broken link)
AISD proposes job cuts | KXAN.com

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM

10 posts, read 33,007 times
Try Region 13 for large job fairs. They have a website and include all the districts in one big job fair but it's in late May/early June.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM

32 posts, read 65,374 times
just search online, there are plenty, but it it tough and tight to get a job. Education is flooded. If she is bi-lingual certified she might get a job, maybe in a low income area, that would be the best bet. Everyone has an ESL cert here no matter what they teach. Some districts don't like to pay more and don't like experience and extra degrees, but some value them.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,411 times
Why is every one running into education. It's because there are no other jobs out there right now. So, when the economy gets back on its feet there is going to be such a Hugh gap in educators. So, instead of looking to education where there are no jobs either, why don't you look to the industry that put you out of work in the first place. The republican party, yes I said it. The republican party, and to think most of you idiots are republicans, so you voted for this silliness. I hope you will think twice before you vote to put yourself out of work again. See, now you understand that it is important who you vote for. So, never ever vote republican again. Look at the mess you have gotten yourself into because you did not have sense to vote democratic.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgtexas View Post
Avoid the Pflugerville ISD. The teachers are good but the administrators lack vision, courage, common sense, and any people skills! Check out the other local ISDs for real opportunities you'll enjoy. Avoid Hooterville.
I completely disagree with this. All districts have issues they certainly need to improve on, and there is no perfect district, much like there is no perfect school or even perfect class. Personally, I taught in AISD and currently teach in PISD, and I must say, I am far happier here than in AISD. I feel PISD allows schools far more autonomy and flexibility in educating students based on the needs of each school's population. Administrators in every district make you shake your head at times, but overall, PISD has been a good move for me.

I'm not quite sure what the Hooterville comment means? Maybe it is a crack at all the chains Pflugerville has. If that is the case, even though it is a completely random comment, it is the truth. However, Austin really only has a pocket of eccletic, unique places we stereotype as "Austin Weird." The rest of it is filled with a whole bunch of chains as well.

To the OP: Check out each district and their website. It is a tough time to get hired, even for an experienced teacher. AISD has thrown out numbers and schools that are possibly on the chopping block. Nothing is set in stone yet, but both AISD and RRISD has alerted the public to the crisis each distrcit is facing. PISD hasn't said what they are doing, but I will say that they do need to cut between 18-22 million and most of the budget is used to pay teachers (83%). Take that for what is worth.

Edit: OP post is over a year old, I wonder what they decided to do? Things that make you go, "Hmmm?"

Old 02-07-2011, 06:32 PM

648 posts, read 1,963,918 times
The fact that you are an ESL teacher may be your saving grace. With employed teachers concerned about being cut (we just got an email from our principal practically begging us to be diligent about filling out expected attendance forms for next year) as it sound like she's going to be fighting to keep as many as she can, although she said that cuts will be at all levels and grades.

Don't expect a job fair. May have to pound the pavement old the old fashioned way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin