Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

That is actually quite unfair, as his comment was also based strictly on personal experience, just the same as yours is with Austin. He lived in California for many years, so those are the facts of what he has personally witnessed, just as yours are facts of what you have personally witnessed.

Not everyone has the same experience in the same place and he isn't wrong for having a negative experience in California any more than you are for having some negative ones in Austin. Neither of you are bad people because of it.
If he was really sorry for saying " I think California invented "superficial friendliness" then he should have ended it with that and I would have said thank you, but he didn't did he?

I have no problem with his views of CA. and his experiences being different then mine. Some of what he said is true. I lived there way longer the he did (38 years). I will not say i didn't see some of the things he is talking about unlike some people here, who will never admit some of the things I've seen to be true..

He also dump on Phoenix too, to did you catch that part? I lived there too for 13 years and liked lots of things about it as well. I will not apology for the things I've said about Texas because these were real things that happen to me. That doesn't mean I hate it here and will paint a broad brush that all the people that live here all wear cowboy hats and are bible thumpers, anynore then all CA. are all "superficial "

ETA to say dump was a little strong, but to say many people ask him the church ? when he lived there. I find that hard to believe. If that were the case I would have noticed that believe me. I lived in Chandler 3 years and NE phoenix the other 10 and no one ask me personal ? like that. That is not to say this didn't happen to him, but "many" times I don't buy it.

Debbie

Last edited by Taterhead; 01-24-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
If he was really sorry for saying " I think California invented "superficial friendliness" then he should have ended it with that and I would have said thank you, but he didn't did he?

I have no problem with his views of CA. and his experiences being different then mine. Some of what he said is true. I lived there way longer the he did (38 years). I will not say i didn't see some of the things he is talking about unlike some people here, who will never admit some of the things I've seen to be true..

He also dump on Phoenix too, to did you catch that part? I lived there too for 13 years and liked lots of things about it as well. I will not apology for the things I've said about Texas because these were real things that happen to me. That doesn't mean I hate it here and will paint a broad brush that all the people that live here all wear cowboy hats and are bible thumpers, anynore then all CA. are all "superficial "

Debbie

Now you're putting words in my mouth. Never once did I say "CA(lifornians) are all superficial". I apologized if you were offended. You find that unacceptable. Fair enough, but please don't start lying about what I said...

I meant it when I hoped you would find some happiness. That's a fact. Take it for what it is. Have a nice day.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Taterhead, the facts are that you are offended at Runemaster for doing exactly what you did, making statements about a state based on personal experience there. (Whether the state was California or Texas is irrelevant.) Just as you are offended by people talking about subjects that you don't think they should (religion and politics) but think they're closeminded for not wanting to talk about subjects that you want to (sex). I'm beginning to see a pattern here, of what's sauce for the goose is not, in your viewpoint, sauce for the gander.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Taterhead, the facts are that you are offended at Runemaster for doing exactly what you did, making statements about a state based on personal experience there. (Whether the state was California or Texas is irrelevant.) Just as you are offended by people talking about subjects that you don't think they should (religion and politics) but think they're closeminded for not wanting to talk about subjects that you want to (sex). I'm beginning to see a pattern here, of what's sauce for the goose is not, in your viewpoint, sauce for the gander.
I have nothing more to say, you have always defended Texas and always will. If you want to think this poster is a saint then so be it.

OMG, just re-read your reply to me, What is with you saying I want to talk about sex, and no one wants to with me geezzz, I never said that.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:

ETA to say dump was a little strong, but to say many people ask him the church ? when he lived there. I find that hard to believe. If that were the case I would have noticed that believe me. I lived in Chandler 3 years and NE phoenix the other 10 and no one ask me personal ? like that. That is not to say this didn't happen to him, but "many" times I don't buy it.

Debbie
Yep, and he lived in Phoenix for 10 years, too, so that's more personal experience for you. And you are saying that you don't buy it that this happened to him many times, and you yet say that people don't believe some of the things you say about Texas, etc. Again, you are more alike than you realize and you're attacking him for it.

I'm beginning to see a clear pattern here, too.

I haven't seen anyone trying to insult you or be mean to you at all, but I do see you getting offended over and over again for things that aren't even directed at you. I happen to like many things about Phoenix and enjoyed my time there, but I'm not offended in the slightest when someone says something negative about it, because I'm fairly certain I'm not responsible for the city of Phoenix or that person's negative experience.

You need to take a deep breath and realize that we can all have differing opinions and still be nice to one another and choose not to be overly offended at things that aren't anywhere near personal attacks. You seem to want to live in a world where people only want to talk about what you want to talk about and share only your views, otherwise they are rude and offensive. Even if they apologize, it's not good enough.

You might be a great person, I don't know you well enough to judge that, but you're making something difficult that really doesn't need to be.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

428 posts, read 1,065,051 times
Quote:
OMG, just re-read your reply to me, What is with you saying I want to talk about sex, and no one wants to with me geezzz, I never said that.
Quote:
...and get all a twitter and the OMG look on your face about a sex joke in a group of over 40 women...
Quote:
...When you can't even joke about a sexually...
Quote:
They seem to be very closed minded about any kind of sex talk and we are all over 40 in this group...

I think that must be where the idea came into play...

Last edited by Runemaster; 01-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: Missed one...

Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You might be a great person, I don't know you well enough to judge that, but you're making something difficult that really doesn't need to be.
You clearly have not read what I have said today on this forum. If you thibk that this person really apology to me, then you don't know what a "REAL" apology is then.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
I think that must be where the idea came into play...
Now i see the problem, you can't read. I never said ANYWHERE in any of my statements "I" was the one talking about sex. And the Texas ladies didn't want to. I said the sex talk came up when several of the women started talking about the Idol guys nastyness. I just listen to them go on and on about how gross this guy was. THL just assumes as usual I offended these poor women with my sex talk, whicj didn't happen, I never said I wanted to talk about sex. But if a sex was to be talked about, they would cover their ears imo

Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhead
Now i see the problem, you can't read. I never said ANYWHERE in any of my statements "I" was the one talking about sex. And the Texas ladies didn't want to. I said the sex talk came up when several of the women started talking about the Idol guys nastyness. I just listen to them go on and on about how gross this guy was. THL just assumes as usual I offended these poor women with my sex talk, whicj didn't happen, I never said I wanted to talk about sex. But if a sex was to be talked about, they would cover their ears imo
Wow, living in your world must be exhausting! He's not even the one who made the comment about you wanting to talk about sex, but he can't read? Or do you just attack at will? I guess I don't know what a real apology is, then, either.

He never said ANYTHING to you that he should even need to apologize for, but since you CLEARLY got your panties in a bunch, he said he was sorry if you were personally offended. That's farther than he even had to go, because he never directed anything at you in the first place.

He was just relaying his personal experiences in California, same as you are in Texas, but yet he needs to apologize? Did you ever stop to think YOU might have offended someone? Especially when you start slinging insults like "you can't read"? You're reading into things that others are posting, yet they can't read if they do the same to you? Why are you making this personal? Do you just WANT to fight? Wow...

I think when one person is trying to apologize for inadvertently insulting someone and the reciprocating party actual sends a direct insult, the time has come for us to put each other on ignore and move on.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

I think when one person is trying to apologize for inadvertently insulting someone and the reciprocating party actual sends a direct insult, the time has come for us to put each other on ignore and move on.

I am sorry, but this person started this whole thing today with this first statement "Ain't that the truth. I think California invented "superficial friendliness"".I would have read the thread and moved on, if this hadn't been said.Instaed I got way too involed and won't make that mistake again.

He gave a half a$$ apololgy to me about this statemnet yes, and then over rides it with his next statement right below it. Go read back.

Yes I am angry, I feel my words have been cherry picked here today from some of you just to make YOUR points. My last comment was nasty yes, sorry for that. He went a cherry picked out of context my words that weren't true. just as THL has done today. How do you think I feel when she has accuse me of wanting to talk about sex twice now and yet I never in any of my post every said I wanted to. I was meerly saying I have observed the women here to be closed minded about it and that apparently meant to her I'm a sex addict I guess.

It's over I'm tired and this is getting no where and now I have to deal with you being very unpleasent too. But of course all that you've said today was nothing but nice right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin