Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 05:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

What is an Owner obligated to disclose when selling a home?

I have been seeing more and more discussion about this lately, and its been awhile since I bought a home. It seems that expectations are higher these days then what I'm accustomed to, growing up in the "buyer beware" days.

So, I'm wondering, what is an Owner obligated to disclose when selling a home these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Have you looked at a disclosure sheet? They are fairly detailed. I also take the address and go look and see if permits were issued for any repairs or remodels and how that squares with the disclosure.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Seller disclosure was, I believe, law in New York. So I had to disclose anything like liens, issues both superficial and structural, stuff like that. I would voluntarily disclose such things because I'd hate to be in the buyer's shoes and discover big problems.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
There are two seller disclosure forms, one is the TREC form for use by FSBO's or anyone else. The other is used by the Texas Association of Realtors.

You can go to the Texas Real Estate Commission website and get a copy of it at
TREC - Home Page

It is required for the sale of the home for the seller to fill out this form, and sign it.
click the forms tab.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
There are two seller disclosure forms, one is the TREC form for use by FSBO's or anyone else. The other is used by the Texas Association of Realtors.

You can go to the Texas Real Estate Commission website and get a copy of it at
TREC - Home Page

It is required for the sale of the home for the seller to fill out this form, and sign it.
click the forms tab.
Thanks, I found the law describing it and the disclosure form here. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-H.pdf

It is far more comprehensive then I realized, I wonder if it has changed since we bought our house 6-7 years ago.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
There is also a third form promulgated by the Austin Board of Realtors.
The TREC form is the basics, as required by law. The TAR form, used by most Realtors in Texas, is more detailed. The Austin Board of Realtors (ABOR) form goes into even more further detail and is the longest and most detailed available in Texas, that I know of.

None of the Texas disclosures are as detailed as some in other states. I picked up a flyer from a property in Missouri once on vacation a couple years ago and it had the disclosure attached, and it was really long and went into detail about all the components of the home, such as the age of the HVAC, and specifics about recent repairs, etc.

I have mixed feelings about disclosures. As a buyer, I'd appreciate seeing the detail about everything, but as a seller, each additional item represents another potential lawsuit. Many owners simply don't remember, or don't even know the age of their equipment such as the Condensing unit, water heater, AC furnace coil, etc. The more detail asked, the greater the liklihood a seller might write down the wrong info, and thus be liable.

Ultimately, it's up to a buyer to NOT rely on the disclosure and hire a good inspector.

I'm involved in a transaction at present where both 17 year old HVAC systems need replacing, and the roof has at least 5 leaks, one of which has a bucket in the attic catching drips. Sellers made no mention of this in the disclosure. NEVER trust the disclosure, ALWAYS hire a really good, experienced inspector.

Steve

Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,576 times
I know in California you have to disclose if there was a death on the property, since some cultures are superstitious about that sort of thing.

I knew a friend who was murdered in her house - along with two other people (it was a double murder and a suicide), and a few years before, someone had committed suicide in her driveway, and on top of the fact the house was haunted to begin with!

I'm wondering who bought that house.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I know in California you have to disclose if there was a death on the property, since some cultures are superstitious about that sort of thing.

I knew a friend who was murdered in her house - along with two other people (it was a double murder and a suicide), and a few years before, someone had committed suicide in her driveway, and on top of the fact the house was haunted to begin with!

I'm wondering who bought that house.
Stephen King

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
Default changes in real estate forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Thanks, I found the law describing it and the disclosure form here. http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-H.pdf

It is far more comprehensive then I realized, I wonder if it has changed since we bought our house 6-7 years ago.
They change these forms and all the others very often, usually about every two years.

I would suggest you visit the real estate forum, it is full of some useful information.

Last edited by EllenArlingtonPark; 01-27-2010 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,454,403 times
The items required to be disclosed and the types of transactions in which disclosure is required are set forth by statute (realizing that these trade groups also lobby for the language of the statute). The language in the statutes sets forth the minimum contents for a Seller Disclosure. Material added by other groups (such as disclaimers for real estate agents, etc.) are not designed for the benefit of the seller or the buyer. TAR and ABOR are trade groups that operate in the interests of their members, not necessarily in the interests of the owner or prospective purchaser of real estate. Real estate agents sometimes promulgate their own forms as well. The seller only needs to comply with the statutory requirements.

To ensure compliance with the seller disclosure laws, please refer to Texas Property Code §5.001, et seq. These statutes generally identify the items that must be disclosed (and some items for which there is no obligation to disclose), the types of transactions that disclosure is required for, and remedies in the event the seller fails to disclose.

Here are a few of the statutes:

§5.008 sets forth the SELLER'S DISCLOSURE OF PROPERTY CONDITION
§5.011 sets forth the SELLER'S DISCLOSURE REGARDING POTENTIAL ANNEXATION
§5.012 sets forth the mandatory NOTICE OF OBLIGATIONS RELATED TO MEMBERSHIP IN PROPERTY OWNERS' ASSOCIATION
§5.013 SELLER'S DISCLOSURE OF LOCATION OF CONDITIONS UNDER SURFACE OF UNIMPROVED REAL PROPERTY
§5.014 NOTICE OF OBLIGATIONS RELATED TO PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT

As prospective purchaser, you can also request information that the seller is not required to provide as part of the initial seller disclosure. For example, you can ask for a "resale certificate" if the property is subject to membership in a mandatory HOA. [Property Code §207] The mechanics of this are designed to create a boondoggle for the HOA management companies, so keep in mind that the seller's remedies are somewhat limited if the managing agent of the HOA refuses to timely provide a resale certificate. Whether you are a seller or a buyer, do not accept unsigned resale certificates from the managing agents as a valid certificate. The reason management companies don't sign them is to avoid being held to the estoppel effects of the certificate. They certainly won't hesitate to collect money for worthless certificates though.

For the most part, §5.008 and §5.012 are the mandatory disclosures most city-dwellers will be dealing with. However, the list above is not all-inclusive and you should refer to the Property Code to see if other disclosures might be necessitated given the type of property and nature of transaction contemplated.

Texas Property Code: Conveyances.

Last edited by IC_deLight; 01-27-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin