Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I like having my son's party at our house. For the past 2 years, we've rented a moonbounce/jumpy/moonwalk with slide and had a face-painter. I want to do something different and had thought of a petting zoo or science experiment thing, but hubby thinks that since the party will be mostly boys, we need to have something where they can blow off steam, run around, jump around, etc. Does anyone have any ideas? Not opposed to a jumpy again, and they do like that, but wanted some other "energetic boy" ideas. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 05:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
When my son turned 6, we had a fairly brief party in the back yard (lunch and cake), then we packed up the kids (invited 5) and went to a park with wide open spaces. We had bought all kinds of things that fly in the air: kites of various kinds, whirly gigs, balloons that scream when you blow them up then let them go, things like that. Who knows what you could find? (We didn't do any rocketry - too dangerous). The kids had a super time! It was just unstructured "air time". Then we opened the gifts, then all packed up and went home. We didn't give any "goodie bags", just let the kids keep various of the air toys. And we didn't even have other parents - just my husband and I. We have always remembered it as a wonderful day. I think it could work with 5 year olds, too. Maybe just invite 4 kids.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Bring in Bonzo Crunch. Kids love clowns, and it puts structure in the day, after which they can get tanked up on cake and ice cream and run wild outside.
Bonzo Crunch - Fool at Large

Old 01-26-2010, 07:12 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Kids love clowns
maybe...but maybe not...
Don't send in the clowns | Reuters

Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
maybe...but maybe not...
Don't send in the clowns | Reuters
Probably a flaw in the way the questions were asked.

One of my daughters was terrified of clowns, but it was a joyous terror, if that makes sense. She reflects fondly now as a teen on how frightened she was of clowns as a small child. Her sister's party with Bonzo, which she spent mostly hiding and peeking around the corners, frightened of the clown, is one of her favorite memories. Explain to me that?

Bonzo is not a "dark" clown though. He's a jovial, funny clown and fabulous entertainer. It's worth the risk.

Steve

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Probably a flaw in the way the questions were asked.

One of my daughters was terrified of clowns, but it was a joyous terror, if that makes sense. She reflects fondly now as a teen on how frightened she was of clowns as a small child. Her sister's party with Bonzo, which she spent mostly hiding and peeking around the corners, frightened of the clown, is one of her favorite memories. Explain to me that?

Bonzo is not a "dark" clown though. He's a jovial, funny clown and fabulous entertainer. It's worth the risk.

Steve
It wouldnt surprise me if austin-steve IS bonzo the clown..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Pin the tail on the donkey...sit on balloons and try to pop them...drop clothespins in a jar? Oops, wrong century.

You could have a load of snow delivered. I guess it's really flaked or crushed ice, like some schools do for "snow" day.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It wouldnt surprise me if austin-steve IS bonzo the clown..
If only! ... I can only dream. No paperwork, flexible schedule, weekdays off, free cake and ice cream, making kids laugh. Sounds like a good gig.

Steve

Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
When my daughter turned six we had a great party in the back yard. We told the kids that there was a safari theme and decorated some that way. When they got there, we played some typical backyard party games. Then, my husband came outside and said he'd just heard on TV that a gorilla had escaped from the zoo and was in the neighborhood. "We" decided to go look around the neighborhood, so all of the parents and kids went out front and looked up and down the street. We saw some banana peels on the sidewalk and talked to some neighbors who had seen the gorilla a few minutes earlier. The kids were VERY excited. After a bit, we decided he'd gone and went back home. When we got to the backyard, there was my husband, dressed in a rented gorilla suit. I have to admit that it scared the hell out of the 4-year-olds, but the 6-year-olds and up loved it. They chased the gorilla and he wrestled with them some and then I took pictures of everyone with the gorilla. In addition to the pictures, we gave out cheap safari hats and binoculars from Oriental Trading. Of course we'd arranged for the banana peels and neighbor reports before the party.

I'd originally planned to do a camping theme with a bear costume, but I couldn't find one.

I know this is sort of over-the-top, but I love to plan parties. We do all have lots of good memories of that day.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
When my daughter turned six we had a great party in the back yard. We told the kids that there was a safari theme and decorated some that way. When they got there, we played some typical backyard party games. Then, my husband came outside and said he'd just heard on TV that a gorilla had escaped from the zoo and was in the neighborhood. "We" decided to go look around the neighborhood, so all of the parents and kids went out front and looked up and down the street. We saw some banana peels on the sidewalk and talked to some neighbors who had seen the gorilla a few minutes earlier. The kids were VERY excited. After a bit, we decided he'd gone and went back home. When we got to the backyard, there was my husband, dressed in a rented gorilla suit. I have to admit that it scared the hell out of the 4-year-olds, but the 6-year-olds and up loved it. They chased the gorilla and he wrestled with them some and then I took pictures of everyone with the gorilla. In addition to the pictures, we gave out cheap safari hats and binoculars from Oriental Trading. Of course we'd arranged for the banana peels and neighbor reports before the party.

I'd originally planned to do a camping theme with a bear costume, but I couldn't find one.

I know this is sort of over-the-top, but I love to plan parties. We do all have lots of good memories of that day.
That

is

AWESOME!!!!!

Did you come up with the idea? That has to be the most original idea I have ever heard.

To the O.P: have you considered asking Rudy's BBQ on 360 if the field behind the restaurant can be rented? It's pretty big (looks like an acre or more), is green, backs up to a forest, and is well kept. If they were allowed to cater, they may not object. They may like the idea and offer it on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin