Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 PM

17 posts, read 117,661 times

Advertisements

Our family currently lives in Allandale and are looking for a bit more space, but don't want to be too far out. We enjoy the conveience of living pretty central - short commute to downtown, quick drive to go just about anywhere, and lots to do nearby.

However, we're in need of a bit more space now that we have kids and they have stuff and one of us is working from home.

We've been looking at Northwest Hills, Arboretum area, and Jester. We love the trees and location of Northwest Hills - pretty similar to what we enjoy now. We like the convenience to shopping and such of the Arboretum, and the fact that it's not too far from where we are now. But we're really attracted to the views, the hills, the newer homes, and the neighborhood feel of Jester.

Questions: How bad is the commute down 2222 to get to Mopac to go downtown? What is Jester Club like? Is Jester snobby? How strict is the HOA - for example, is xeriscaping allowed or must a homeowner maintain St. Augustine? Just trying to get a feel for Jester that we can't get by driving around the neighborhood...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
I don't have any first-hand experience living in Jester, but I did look for homes there when we bought our last house. However, you should know that eastbound 2222 at 360 will be reduced to 1 lane for over a year starting in May, as they work on the 2222 and Lakewood bridges over Bull Creek:

2222CONA page for TxDOT RM2222 project

The alternate "shortcut", going out of Jester via Lakewood directly to 2222, is closed right now and will be closed on and off throughout the next 2 years. This is going to be a major pain, I suspect, for some neighborhoods.

Anyway, we also love NW Hills... if you can find the right combination of decent condition house/views/price (not easy).

Have you thought of anywhere south of the river off 360? Depending on where you work, you might want to check out Lost Creek. Prices are similar to NW Hills, but homes and views are a little more like Jester (& no HOA). Closer and quicker to downtown and SoCo, but not as convenient to the abundant shopping in the northern part of town.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 AM

17 posts, read 117,661 times
That's the problem we're finding with NW Hills - the combination of house and price isn't working well for our needs. $400k in NW Hills buys a house in need of a lot of work. Otherwise it's great.

Regarding the traffic due to construction, would exiting Jester via Lakewood onto 360 and down to Spicewood Springs to MoPac work? Or is that route going to be in accessible as well?

I'll look into Lost Creek. I assume that feeds into Eanes ISD. So good schools academically. What's the feel there? Laidback? Snobby? I've never been down there and don't know much about the area.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie23 View Post
Our family currently lives in Allandale and are looking for a bit more space, but don't want to be too far out. We enjoy the conveience of living pretty central - short commute to downtown, quick drive to go just about anywhere, and lots to do nearby.

However, we're in need of a bit more space now that we have kids and they have stuff and one of us is working from home.

We've been looking at Northwest Hills, Arboretum area, and Jester. We love the trees and location of Northwest Hills - pretty similar to what we enjoy now. We like the convenience to shopping and such of the Arboretum, and the fact that it's not too far from where we are now. But we're really attracted to the views, the hills, the newer homes, and the neighborhood feel of Jester.

Questions: How bad is the commute down 2222 to get to Mopac to go downtown? What is Jester Club like? Is Jester snobby? How strict is the HOA - for example, is xeriscaping allowed or must a homeowner maintain St. Augustine? Just trying to get a feel for Jester that we can't get by driving around the neighborhood...

Thanks!
Maybe think about expanding your house. I dont know about allandale, but in areas where $/sq ft are above around 200 it is a no brainer to add on up to about 2500-3000 sq ft.

It may cost 100-150 /sq ft and so you "make" money when you add on. Additionally costs are lower now because remodelers are really struggling. Focus on location vs. the size of the house.

We like living in the suburbs because we like the location, cul de sac, backing to green belt and best schools.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie23 View Post
Regarding the traffic due to construction, would exiting Jester via Lakewood onto 360 and down to Spicewood Springs to MoPac work? Or is that route going to be in accessible as well?
I assume that's going to be open, and probably the preferred route. On the other hand, for such a short distance maybe the 1 lane on 2222 won't be so bad (it will be worse for people who are backed up farther on the west side of 360, like those coming from RP or Steiner).

Quote:
I'll look into Lost Creek. I assume that feeds into Eanes ISD. So good schools academically. What's the feel there? Laidback? Snobby? I've never been down there and don't know much about the area.

Thanks for the info.
Well, it is Westlake, so I can't say there isn't some snobiness. Lost Creek itself is fairly laid back, though. Probably not much different than Jester in that respect, but without the mandatory HOA. It's also similar to Jester in that it's not walkable like NW Hills... close in, yes, but it doesn't have the neighborhood thoroughfares like Mesa, Spicewood Springs, and Far West so that you can shop/eat/bank/etc "inside" the neighborhood. That would be something you'd give up in either Jester or a place like Lost Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: