Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times

Advertisements

I knew it was just a matter of time before the Aggies would be mentioned! Yes, you have a LOT of school pride if you go to UT. I think it's a pre-req to get into the university! hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
All that said, for undergrad lower division I do NOT recommend UT unless you're just interested in partying and being treated like a number.
I often hear this about UT, but having gone there, I find it quite misleading. Yes, there is a lot of partying, but not anymore (percent-wise) than most other universities across the country. I suppose I was treated like a 'number' (by the computers, anyways), but I found that I could always talk to pretty much any professor whenever I tried to. It is amazing how few students try to meet with their profs.

Anyway, my assesment of my experiences at UT.
1) Yes, it is big, and no one really care if you decide to go to class or not. It is up to you. If you are not ready to be resposible for yourself, don't go there.

2) There is a bureaucracy in place, and you have to learn how to cope/work with it, not complain about it being unfair. If definitely isn't nice or forigiving, neccesarily, but it is fair. See no. 1.

3) There are many, many oppurtunities available that smaller universities cannot offer. Many of these oppurtunities are overlooked by undergrads (or under utilized).

There are down sides - the sense of community that is available at smaller campuses is hard to come by at UT and I found (in retrospect) to be a significant negative. You just can't have a circle of friends and acquintances of 50k people.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I'm not sure why this is in the Austin forum. Many Texans and/or their children are graduates of UT. It's arguably the best public university in Texas. It's considered a "public Ivy" and was high, like in the top 10 or 15 or so, on a long list of the world's top universities some years ago. Sorry, too lazy to look up the source. But it's an excellent university and whether you decide to stay in Texas for a career or go elsewhere your degree will be well regarded, wherever you go.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:41 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
just wondering what type of college is it- I know it's located in Austin which is a big college going city.
I attended UT and graduated with a Business Degree. I only went for the last two years of my degree, and I was 27 by the time I got there, so I can't speak to the freshman/younger scene, as I already had a wife and baby and was done with the partying era of my life.

It didn't seem big to me at all. Most of my classes were in or near the business school. I found I was hanging out with a small group of people mostly oriented around studying. I didn't have many of the "stadium seating" classes that I had heard about. There were a few, but not that many. Most were smaller classes.

I guess the experience might be different depending on one's major and the age of the student.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM

In the end, college is what you make of it - no matter where you go.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 AM

54 posts, read 248,357 times
well, i want a teaching degree-english major.
how is ut's teaching school-good, bad, normal?

and whats up with the aggie-longhorn rivalry?
hear the longhorns make fun of the aggies.

how is A&M also-anybody go there??

thanks for everything so far ;]

Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I would also like to suggest St. Edward's University if you can afford the extra tuition. I graduated from there and had a wonderful college experience. It's small, personal and the professors are top-notch. The curriculum is very demanding and you will work your tail off, but it is so worth it. The added bonus is that it's right here in Austin so you can still enjoy the city as well.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:04 PM

longhorns vs aggies ... rivalries 'til the end. A friend of mine did his undergrad at UT and then did his MBA at A&M. Many of his friends wouldn't talk to him for the longest time!

A&M is pretty big, too, and they also have a lot of school spirit. Almost every Aggie I know drives a maroon car though (their school color).

Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...Yes, there is a lot of partying, but not anymore (percent-wise) than most other universities across the country. I suppose I was treated like a 'number' (by the computers, anyways), but I found that I could always talk to pretty much any professor whenever I tried to.
I should qualify my "partying" comment. I didn't mean that there are parties breaking out on campus and in classrooms, I meant that if someone WANTS to party then UT is possibly the best school in the country. The nightlife of Austin along with the sheer number of young people who are newly liberated from mom and dad make Austin a very vibrant city, to the point where I feel like a VERY old man at the age of 51!

Also, I've been to 5 universities and taught at another 2, so I'm comparing quality of education between universities based on my experience of large vs. small schools. One of the advantages of a State school, or even a community college, is that you get more diversity at the lower division. In a major university like UT, the undergrad schools, especially the lower division classes, are largely composed of newly-minted high school grads.

When I was teaching at St. Edwards, and when I attended Santa Barbara City College and Sonoma State Univ. in CA, I experienced much more diversity of people in terms of age, socioeconomic background, stage of life, goals and perspectives. In addition, these smaller schools tend to have small classes in which you have personal attention not just by visiting the prof during office hours but DURING CLASS --- this is important!

I taught in the business school at UT and I remember the smallest classes consisting of at least 60 students. I was never able to remember all the names of my students in a class. But at St. Edwards I had about 20 students for an Intro Marketing class (which would have at least 100 students at UT), and I knew each student and they were vastly more diverse in age, ethnicity, life experience and personal objectives. I think the latter is a superior method of learning, but this is just my opinion. I think undergrads are best served by smaller classes with attentive teachers who aren't devoted to research, vs. the pedigree and national reputation of their school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin