Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:44 PM

117 posts, read 538,158 times

Advertisements

I just returned from trip number 3 to Austin in preparing for our move.
We found a home in LakePointe(right off Bee Caves near the new Galleria) to lease for a year while we get our bearings.
I can't believe it was cloudy/rainy for 4 days...!!
Still beautiful, I didn't want to leave.
I have a good working knowledge of the main roads now-have to boast.
And it seems most directions begin with "you get on the Mopac..."

Can someone please share recommendations near Bee Cave/Lakeway for:

1. mainstream Bible-based friendly church
2. pediatrician
3. dentist
4. salon-for highlights
5. private school--we are near an excellent public school but our kids have always been in private schools. We may opt for the public school but would like to investigate options.
6. ideas for meeting people. The kids will adapt sooner if we're able to start meeting people.

Thanks-I'll arrive in Austin in 15 days. Can't wait!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 02:57 PM
McJ

169 posts, read 480,233 times
Default Welcome!

Quote:
4. salon-for highlights
I highly reccommend A special Haven Home (broken link)
Sonia the owner is awesome!

Old 05-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Thank you.

What about good links for the area--newspapers and such?
Not the Statesman; something local with events listings?

Maybe an "idiot's guide" to the area?

Old 05-27-2007, 05:44 PM
McJ

here's a few:
The Austin Chronicle
Austinist
lake travis.com - If it's on the Lake....It's here.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks.

Any church suggestions?
We go to a non-denominational Bible based church now and would like to find someplace friendly where we can meet other believers and grow together.

What about play groups or book clubs?

Old 05-27-2007, 07:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Google Austin Family magazine and read the online version of Austin Family for ideas on clubs and family activities in the area. Also, I would bet the Lakepointe community might have someone organizing playgroups. If not, I know there is a MOMs club in Lakeway, they are always advertising in the 4 Points News. I'm sure if you google it you can find their contact person. We have made all of our connections mostly within our own neighborhood and through parents of kids our kids go to school with, who live in neighboring communities. As long as you are willing to get involved, go to the park and put yourself out there you won't have too many problems. As an example - today I was in Westminster Glen for a mojito party from noon to 2 via invite from neighborhood friensd, in Cedar Park from 2 to 4 for a kids' birthday party from school friens, and at the waterloo ice house with 6 other couples for dinner with all the kids and to play outside. A big day. If we were still in Phoenix we'd be walking around the mall and avoiding the 105 degree weather

As far as bible churches, I am not positive but I think? Riverbend on 360 is nondenominational and if you are Christian focused the Austin Christian Fellowship here in RP has a pretty big following.

Another recommendation I have for salons is Salon Cherie at Bee Cave and Mopac. Tiffany Hardwick is expensive, but excellent.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 AM

Define expensive, so I have a comparison.
My highlights and a cut now run about $100...

Thanks for the info.

Any private school ideas?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 AM
McJ

I know a couple people who's kids go here: Austin Private School - Austin Waldorf School - Kindergarten, Grade and High School - Austin Area Schools and it's nearby

Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Oak Hill Gazette
Oak Hill Gazette: The community newspaper for Southwest Austin

Old 05-28-2007, 10:50 AM
McJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I didn't know about that one, Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin