Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I kind of like the access roads in Austin! Am I the only one?? I always referred to them as "feeder lanes"...I stand corrected!! Coming from Pittsburgh, PA. where you have to navigate all the one way streets to find your way in/out of town is a nightmare.

I love access roads too. Texas is actually phasing them out because as cities grow it makes it much more difficult to expand the highway if there are a bunch of businesses.

In california often times if you pass your exit and get off at the next exit you cant get back on going in the other direction. You might have to drive for miles to get back on.

Ill take our access road with u-turns any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I don't know why it bugs me, but it does. Here in Austin, we don't say "THE 620" or "THE 360", or "THE 2222", etc.

It's simply ...
Mopac
I-35, etc.

"Take Mopac to 360 and head south to 2222", for example.

Does it bug anyone else or am I just weird and picky? I don't like our Austin vernacular being altered by newcomers. I feel Austin slipping away when there is too much influence and change brought in from other places?
Really....why not say THE....we do that everywhere else in the nation. Is this really wrong. I want to hear other say this. also, what else do we out siders say thats wrong.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I love access roads too. Texas is actually phasing them out because as cities grow it makes it much more difficult to expand the highway if there are a bunch of businesses.

In california often times if you pass your exit and get off at the next exit you cant get back on going in the other direction. You might have to drive for miles to get back on.

Ill take our access road with u-turns any day.
I like the U turns, we don't have those in Washington

Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 PM

I just wish that all these roads had one name. I was on 290, which was also 71, and ben white. Mapquest cant keep up with this.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Many of the roads overlap in town - several, such as 290 and 71 come into town as separate roads and leave town as separate roads, but overlap for some distance. If you drop one of the names (such as 71), then it looks like there are two different 71s, when there isn't.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Many of the roads overlap in town - several, such as 290 and 71 come into town as separate roads and leave town as separate roads, but overlap for some distance. If you drop one of the names (such as 71), then it looks like there are two different 71s, when there isn't.
That should not happen. They should change names. I have heard other say this is very confusing. Its got me so frustrated, add that with those tolls that I have to avoid. AM I the ONLY one here that feels that Austin is a challenge to newbies.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 PM

187 posts, read 846,633 times
Default us and them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Really....why not say THE....we do that everywhere else in the nation. Is this really wrong. I want to hear other say this. also, what else do we out siders say thats wrong.
I really don't understand why folks find this thread so offensive. "'We' do that EVERYWHERE else in the nation".... I mentioned earlier that in Chicago, "the" would not be used with numbered roads, only named roads. Chicago is still part of this nation...

This is not about "we" and "they" or "us" and "them." This is just about local colloquialisms. I cannot imagine that anyone reading this thread is unaware that local linguistic practices can be very specific. You hear them everywhere you travel. Why does everyone get so upset when someone says that they can tell, by the way that you speak, that you are not "local," or originally from the region? It seems to be hitting a raw nerve with many people here.... I don't get it. When someone says, "You're not from here, are you?" that's not an insult, that's an observation of a fact.

People have their differences, and that's a good thing. If everyone spoke the same way, and if every place looked the same, it would be a drag.

What is getting everyone so rankled? This defensive "us" vs. "them," or this "it's not friendly to point out your pet peeve about nomenclature?"

Old 05-29-2007, 10:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Right?! It just sounds odd to me to say "The" in front of numbered roads, and like pointed out, it happens to be that way in other cities as well. If you've lived here a very long time, or were born in the state, it's just obvious that someone is a newbie when they say something that locals don't. Kinda like "pop" when referring to soda. Noone's gonna have a witch trial over it or anything. We may tease you mercilessly, with a smile...but noone will get hurt over it . I got my fair share in Colorado over the y'all, and for saying Colorado wrong. Natives there don't call it Colo-raw-do..It's Colo-rad (as in rad, dude!)-O. And that is another city that doesn't use "The" in front of the number roads...just, I25 or I70 or 225 and they also don't hesitate to give you a good ribbing about it!

Last edited by love roses; 05-29-2007 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: add more comment

Old 05-30-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
I really don't understand why folks find this thread so offensive. "'We' do that EVERYWHERE else in the nation".... I mentioned earlier that in Chicago, "the" would not be used with numbered roads, only named roads. Chicago is still part of this nation...

This is not about "we" and "they" or "us" and "them." This is just about local colloquialisms. I cannot imagine that anyone reading this thread is unaware that local linguistic practices can be very specific. You hear them everywhere you travel. Why does everyone get so upset when someone says that they can tell, by the way that you speak, that you are not "local," or originally from the region? It seems to be hitting a raw nerve with many people here.... I don't get it. When someone says, "You're not from here, are you?" that's not an insult, that's an observation of a fact.

People have their differences, and that's a good thing. If everyone spoke the same way, and if every place looked the same, it would be a drag.

What is getting everyone so rankled? This defensive "us" vs. "them," or this "it's not friendly to point out your pet peeve about nomenclature?"
I don't find this thread insulting, I was just interested in what the locals say...really

Old 05-30-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Right?! It just sounds odd to me to say "The" in front of numbered roads, and like pointed out, it happens to be that way in other cities as well. If you've lived here a very long time, or were born in the state, it's just obvious that someone is a newbie when they say something that locals don't. Kinda like "pop" when referring to soda. Noone's gonna have a witch trial over it or anything. We may tease you mercilessly, with a smile...but noone will get hurt over it . I got my fair share in Colorado over the y'all, and for saying Colorado wrong. Natives there don't call it Colo-raw-do..It's Colo-rad (as in rad, dude!)-O. And that is another city that doesn't use "The" in front of the number roads...just, I25 or I70 or 225 and they also don't hesitate to give you a good ribbing about it!
Right, Im from the Pacific North West, and it makes us very angry if you say Or e GONE for oregon its Or gun, and thats it Oregon is pronounce Orgun. Also people from the deep south pronounce washington State WARSHINGTON..hey there is no R once and for all. Im thinking of moving to Colo RAD o so, that good to know. Alot of new words for me. Feeder road Green belt (everythings green in WA state), and much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin