Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,372 times

Advertisements

I am about to move in the next month and I am debating where the bst part of Austn would be to move. Some people scream, "DONT GO EAST!" with a passion as if warlocks and lost demons roam there, while others say its not that bad. Then, some people say stay away from downtown because it is overly expensive and I will stand out like a sore thumb (i'm bi-racial). Then, others say that everybody and their mother is cramping in the North part. 'some austians believe that the "republicans" or rightwingers are trying to get away from the hispanics and diversity' but I don't know. I just moved here from MI. ANy thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
I was going to say, You left out East. If you just moved here, have you even explored much? What many people say is purely opinion. Sure, there are some who have experience to back their claims, but not everyone. The best parts of Austin are the ones YOU feel more comfortable in. I live North East of Austin, and I like it here. There are other posters on this board who live somewhere East of 35 who like where they are. There ARE more people North of Austin than South, but I think those people are going to get more population too. It used to be pretty rural out on Hamilton Pool Road and now it's full of subdivisions. Dripping Springs and Buda used to be little towns South of Austin and now they are getting sucked into the metro. Downtown IS the most expensive area in Austin. I don't think you'll stick out like a sore thumb, and I'm guessing that since you seem to have put stock into what people said about East of 35 since you didn't include it in your title that you are temporarily living near downtown already? The term is Austinites, not Austians ...just sayin'. People who say things like that about Republicans or Right wingers aren't Republicans. That's just ridiculous. Most of the hispanics in Austin live East of 35 and although I'm sure it's a political mix, most Liberals and Democrats live West of 35 (downtown or in close in neighborhoods). Take from that what you will.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:40 AM

197 posts, read 612,550 times
Hi!
First of all, one reason we are moving to Austin is because my husband and I are tired of being villified as Republicans by Seattle-ites. It is funny how intollerant and stereotyping some people who claim preach "tollerance" can be! Trust me, as a Republican couple who are Republican because we come from military families, we have gay friends, racial friends, bi-racial friends, and sometimes tri-racial friends. (I have a friend who is a Jewish Wican Lesbian, how rare is THAT??) All I'm saying is to not let hype and labels guide your decision. Republicans are not all KKK members who hate everyone but themselves.
Go with where you feel happiest. One person's heaven is another's hell, so only you can decide what will feel like "home."
Our strategy is to take an extended vacation down to Austin and just drive around. We are going to check out parks, libraries, coffee-shops, etc. and see where we enjoy being most. We also are looking at things that will be important to us, like job location and commute, school performance, location of activites we enjoy... Then we will look at the housing in those areas and settle in from there.
Our other thought was to just get an apartment for our first few months in town and just rent month-to-month. That allows lots of time to get to know the area and not be in a hurry to buy into something we may not like after all.
Good luck to you and your move!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 17,042 times
I also live Northeast Austin, in University Hills. East Austin in not as bad as many would tell you. As a matter of fact is improving fast. My neighborhood is just a few miles from downtown. It's not that expensive yet, and still the location is great.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,372 times
Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I have explored a bit. I currentl live in south austin. From what I see, NO parts of austin looks bad, especiall with me coming from Detroit Michigan, Austin looks like a creampuff marshmellow I kind of wanted to move near UT because at least I would be surrounded by people around my age for crying out loud. Staying with my mother and her boyfriend is driving me bunkers! LOL I seen a lot of nice places on the outskirts of downtown austin i am interested in that are reasonabily priced. I think I will go with that. THanks for your input

Old 01-31-2010, 10:54 AM

471 posts, read 403,789 times
We are looking southwest, primarily because we want a newer home, good schools, and a reasonable commute to downtown. The primary complaint I have about east is the age of homes, the quality of schools, and proximity to the airport (noise).

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,683,952 times
There are some good schools East of Austin. I think there is even a magnet school in East Austin.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM

739 posts, read 2,261,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
I am about to move in the next month and I am debating where the bst part of Austn would be to move. Some people scream, "DONT GO EAST!" with a passion as if warlocks and lost demons roam there, while others say its not that bad. Then, some people say stay away from downtown because it is overly expensive and I will stand out like a sore thumb (i'm bi-racial). Then, others say that everybody and their mother is cramping in the North part. 'some austians believe that the "republicans" or rightwingers are trying to get away from the hispanics and diversity' but I don't know. I just moved here from MI. ANy thoughts?
The only part I could possibly live in is the south part from William Cannon drive south. Its more open and not as jam packed as the north part its more like San Antonio. The traffic north of highway 71 is horrible. I have drove through Austin and its exhausting. If you have a standard its like rowing a boat.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM

739 posts, read 2,261,484 times
If your a machinist your not going to live in Austin. There is basically no industry its all service oriented. Im basically limited to San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, El Paso, or Amarillo.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,541 times
All areas have their virtues and drawbacks, but since the replies are mostly personal, I'll chime in with mine. For what I value in living here, I would have a hard time living south of Oltorf, north of 53rd St, east of Airport Boulevard, or west of Mopac, unless I had acreage in the country and then I would not be living in Austin. What do you like to do? Where will you be working? Different areas enable different modes of living. OP, it is hard to answer your question in the abstract. Give us more info about what you value, and answers will be more precise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin