Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM

5 posts, read 21,536 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a house in this area and have read horrible customer reviews on this builder. However, I don't know if this is the same situation here in Cedar Park.

The home would be an existing home in a KB neighborhood.

I would be very interested in getting any feedback on this builder in this area? Is this a serious one, using good materials?

I'm new to Texas, and I recall a story about a builder being banned from the State because of malpractice... if KB was doing the same thing, wouldn't it be kicked out?

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

- Michel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 AM

370 posts, read 999,424 times
I looked at these, and almost bought a lot, and had one made to order there.
I like to see what I'm actually buying though, and didn't feel that comfortable
with them. Some of the reviews I read were not good.

The general opinions I got were that they are a lower end builder.
They do use lower quality as a base, but you can upgrade.
Think the average price base was around 180k
It would take about 30 to 50k in upgrades to get some nice stuff
Base kitchen materials were ehhh

If it's pre-existing house, you may want to get a list of the upgrades
so you can price accordingly

They are not the top builder, but are not the top price either

I bought a pre-existing Gehan home, and it is much higher quality.
And was priced very close to the KB
We are 4 sides stone, 10ft ceilings, all tile floors, Silestone counter tops...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I say just do a comparison - material by material. While KB does build in the "lower end" market, they also build in the higher end market. Yes, there are actually KB homes that are over 400K. The materials are standard for the industry, nothing more or less, unless you pay for it.

That can sum up KB perfectly - nothing more or less unless you pay for it. The standard new build home in the less than premium price range tend to be rather bleh. If you upgrade (preferably yourself on most things), you'll find that they aren't all that cheap after all.

Silverado is actually a pretty nice neighborhood. It has great schools, amenity center, and several other plusses. For resale, the schools alone are going to account for something.

If the person has upgraded their home I think it is not a bad buy and probably your mortgage isn't going to eat you alive. Use your home inspector, and them say whether or not something is 'bad' or not.

ps - I own a KB home in another neighborhood that was considered "move up". I like my home, and have made many upgrades (at our own timetable).

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,542 times
I live in Silverado in a KB Home. I actually use to work for the builder a few years ago and let me tell you their is no such thing in my book as high end or low end. ALL HOME BUILDERs BuiLD THEIR HOMES THE SAME WITH WOOD wether its stick build, manufatured frames,....... whatever. To me the most important thing is location. Location is more important, If I could buy a crapy fixer upper in Terry Town (about $400,000) i would do it in a minute because of the location, thats high end to me not granite countetops or rounded corners or 12 ft ceilings! I can put the counter tops in later and not pay for it for 30yrs. Upgrades are part of your loan if u do not have the money upfrnt and alot of us dont due to the economy. I live right across the street from the newest elementary build for the Leander School district, and Henry middle school and Vista ridge High are also across the street. WOW! what more can u ask for!! I love that KB has great customer service, they come through out an entire year to see how your home is settling, 10 yr warranty on structure and 25 yr on Roof (shingles). My recommandation when b uying a new home is upgRaDE THE structure of your home elevation (What ur home looks looks like in the front), fireplace, converting rooms, Covered patios, enterior wires for surround, things like that. Everything else you can change with time (cosmetic). We r getting a new Schillerbahn ( I think thats how u spell it) it will be right off 1431 and Parmer, 5 minutes or less. I LOVE WHERE I LIVE!!!!!!!!! KB has come a long way, through out the years. Oh and alllll builders have complaints, not just KB. I also worked for Lennar homes and centex, When i bought my home (2ndx) it was definetly going to be because of the location, which = investment. So I recommend checking out this location especially if u have kiddos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin