Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I was a student who had to work two low paying jobs with a scholarship because NYU was so expensive. Retail in general sucks but it was a job. Under 18, I worked in retail too and sure it was minimum wage, but it was MY minimum wage that I worked for. I moved on and now get paid much better. Considering not all seniors have pensions and nice cushy money troves, there are a LOT who are going back to work. Some are going back to work because THEY LIKE WORKING. And hat's off to 'em.
I LOVE this paragraph. I'm 54 (as of 2 days ago) and have been unemployed for over a year.

I used to have my own business, owned two houses and enjoyed a nice income. Everything fell apart over a period of a few years and I was left penniless. Last November I was living in my car for a while and I'd get my coffee by taking an empty Starbucks cup into one of their stores and asking for hot water for tea. Then I'd go back to my car and make my own coffee using the hot water.

In my newly-humbled life I would welcome a minimum-wage job. Sometimes we have to lose everything before we appreciate how fortunate we are to have ANY type of employment, let alone work that we enjoy and for which we are amply paid. So, look for me at your local Target or HEB or WalMart. Hopefully I'll have a smile on my face out of appreciation for the fact that I'm able to buy food with the meager wages I'll be paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
I LOVE this paragraph. I'm 54 (as of 2 days ago) and have been unemployed for over a year.

I used to have my own business, owned two houses and enjoyed a nice income. Everything fell apart over a period of a few years and I was left penniless. Last November I was living in my car for a while and I'd get my coffee by taking an empty Starbucks cup into one of their stores and asking for hot water for tea. Then I'd go back to my car and make my own coffee using the hot water.

In my newly-humbled life I would welcome a minimum-wage job. Sometimes we have to lose everything before we appreciate how fortunate we are to have ANY type of employment, let alone work that we enjoy and for which we are amply paid. So, look for me at your local Target or HEB or WalMart. Hopefully I'll have a smile on my face out of appreciation for the fact that I'm able to buy food with the meager wages I'll be paid.
You should apply with HEB or at Central Market. They don't care what your experience is; they only care about your attitude, and it sounds like you have a good one.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
Quote:

And that can happen to anyone. Just a stone's throw away. Most days, I remember to be thankful for the blessing.

Good luck with starting over. I really respect people who are willing to put in an honest day's work, anywhere.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM

132 posts, read 496,968 times
Read the book Nickle and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By In America by Barbara Ehrenreich. Really good inside information on employment in Walmart among other jobs.

Also, check out People of Walmart: a collection of all the creatures that grace us with their presence at Walmart, America's favorite store..

Boycott- Wal-Mart From this web site, "We have chosen Walmart as the target of our primary call for a boycott because of the company’s unfair labor practices around the world. Not only does this chain mistreat many employees that work for them, it also sells goods made by suppliers that grossly violate the rights of their workers around the world. Despite protests and a law suit they have refused to correct these problems."

Another one to see: Wal-Mart Watch | Fighting for Wal-Mart Workers | Employee Free Choice Act

D

Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
I don't really care where you live. But in the community we're discussing, I found many Walgreens within easy driving distance that are open till 10pm or open 24 hours. We aren't talking about *where you live*.

I'm forming my opinion based on the statistics. And the stats show that small businesses tend to pay better, provide better benefits, and are more beneficial to the surrounding community. Wal-Mart does pretty much the exact opposite. If your community had a choice with those points in mind, what would you choose? Again, I'm not against retail. I'm against big box stores that depress the retail job market.

Well I wonder, if retail that isn't in a big strip center with big box stores simply aren't useful, how do people in dense urban areas survive? I guess life is just so hard for them?

Austin's mixed-use developments, so far, are all boutique shops because the big box stores are right down the road. Smaller "general" type stores that would fit in the smaller mixed-use spaces can't compete with Wal-Mart. I'm sure they'd do quite well otherwise.
And I also don't particularly care that you don't care where I live. I was talking about where I lived, because I was giving a personal example of how Wal Mart is useful. Whether you care or not is irrelevant.

Pls show me these statistics you speak of. You say that boutiques pay more..and you know that for sure, how? Do you think a sales associate is pulling that much more bank at the frou frou boutique? Again, I don't think so. You won't be supporting your family any better working there, I'm sure.

I've lived in one of the densest urban environments in the country, and yeah people survive but it sure would have been nice to have had the convenience of a reasonably priced store like Wal Mart that was open 24 hours.

The coming of Wal Mart ain't the coming of the apocalypse, seriously.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear this...and so true. I'm not a fan of retail, but I'd take it in a heartbeat if that's what's out there. I wish you well.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I'd wager that most of us who live in the area (even if they opposed it) will occasionally shop there, or at least be tempted to. Maybe in disguise, in the dark of night. . I prefer shopping at smaller stores because it's less stressful/crowded and I just like to support small businesses, but I'll go to Walmart too, I know.

Things made in China are everywhere. I avoid them, but it's not easy. Walmart as an employer is a whole nuther story. I had a few undesirable jobs in my youth, and before I decided to acquire marketable skills.

I have always hated Walmart, from the first one I ever saw, in Huntsville (I have no idea how many years ago that was - many). I hate what they stand for, what they have done to small businesses and small towns all over the country, what they do to suppliers and to their employees. And even though I have been tempted on occasion, I have never gone there, not even in the dark of night. I realize that not everyone can do that. For some, the low prices trump the principles, and that is the way it has to be. They have to do what they have to do, and I don't judge them. I realize that there is an element of luxury to buying from local businesses, but since I can afford it, that's what I do. And I would rather do with less than buy more at Walmart. Like you, Capcat, I try to avoid things made in China, but sometimes there is no choice. Sad, but true. And I dislike the stress/crowding at the big boxes, and prefer a more personal experience, but that's just me. I think this country would be better off without the big boxes, but there aren't any do-overs in history, so that's what we have. Also sad, but true.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
Responsible Shopper Profile: Wal-Mart

Look where your money goes.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:21 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,392 times
Quote:
Pls show me these statistics you speak of. You say that boutiques pay more..and you know that for sure, how? Do you think a sales associate is pulling that much more bank at the frou frou boutique? Again, I don't think so. You won't be supporting your family any better working there, I'm sure.
Please see my previous posts where I give links. And small businesses don't have corporate executives getting 21 million dollar salaries and thousands of share holders who only care about the bottom line. It's no secret that small businesses are typically better at treating their employees and customers, since they have more invested in their community than some multi-billion worldwide corporate giant who barely knows your employee number and store number, let alone your actual name and location.

Quote:
The coming of Wal Mart ain't the coming of the apocalypse, seriously.
Did anyone ever say that? Why do people take what you say, rip it apart, and morph it into something to try and make you sound like a paranoid fascist extremist bent on destroying human kind?

Given all the options, I'd prefer to NOT have a new Wal-Mart go up on Anderson. And I've explained all the reasons behind that opinion. I fear no apocalypse.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Hey the current design is at least better than this faux-Main Street Wal-Mart in Round Rock:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin