U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM

9 posts, read 46,884 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with installing hardwood flooring right after closing on a new home? We are building a new home and are having the builder lay cheap, standard carpet in about 1000 sq ft of the home. We plan to close on the house and then have our hardwoods installed by a separate contractor, hopefully, the next day. We need information about the following:

a) How best to handle the issue of the baseboards. If the builder nails them down, will the contractor damage the walls pulling them off and reinstalling them? Will the builder close on the house without the baseboard nailed in so our company can finish the job after installing the floor?

b) What flooring companies offer competitive pricing, but good customer service. Specifically we are looking for a company that will guarantee their work and quickly repair any damage done to the walls/paint/baseboards.

Is there a better way to get this done? We don't want to pay the builder's prices and we figure that we can get a better product for the money if we go with a separate contractor. Right now we're looking at Floor Coverings International, Convict Hill Flooring, Floor Centers of Texas, and Gary Raesz Custom Floors. Anyone have experience with these companies?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 AM

1,961 posts, read 5,810,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmama32 View Post
Does anyone have experience with installing hardwood flooring right after closing on a new home? We are building a new home and are having the builder lay cheap, standard carpet in about 1000 sq ft of the home. We plan to close on the house and then have our hardwoods installed by a separate contractor, hopefully, the next day. We need information about the following:

a) How best to handle the issue of the baseboards. If the builder nails them down, will the contractor damage the walls pulling them off and reinstalling them? Will the builder close on the house without the baseboard nailed in so our company can finish the job after installing the floor?

b) What flooring companies offer competitive pricing, but good customer service. Specifically we are looking for a company that will guarantee their work and quickly repair any damage done to the walls/paint/baseboards.

Is there a better way to get this done? We don't want to pay the builder's prices and we figure that we can get a better product for the money if we go with a separate contractor. Right now we're looking at Floor Coverings International, Convict Hill Flooring, Floor Centers of Texas, and Gary Raesz Custom Floors. Anyone have experience with these companies?
We did exactly this.

Have them install the "free" carpeting in all the areas we were going to put in wood flooring.

The base boards will stay on the wall, they will put in a quarter round to hide the expansion gap. It looks nice.

The company we used went bankrupt.... I would get lots of bids and try to compare them against each other with the same material.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM

97 posts, read 186,511 times
We bought a home no one had ever lived in but was two years old. Builders tried to sell it for more then it was worth. We got a killer deal on it as it was about to be foreclosed on. Anyways... we had the kitchen remodeled and the staircase ripped out and a whole new one installed twenty days after we closed.

However the house was "finished" when we closed. So I doubt they would say anything about the baseboards if they were left off... but I know that when ANY work is done, the companies that bid, will size you up for what they think you can pay, we got 4 estimates and they all were differnt. We didnt go with the cheapest. In the end it was exactly what we wanted.

But during the whole thing they did tear up some stuff that they didnt think they would, part of the walls and stuff... so what they told us was that expect to end up paying less on some qoutes and more on others as "things come up" it worked out in the end we paid less then the qoute.'

Not the same situation as yours... no experience with those companies but we did use a flooring compnay to do minor work repalcing some tile and wood where the old staircase was. I wish I could remember the name, they put the carpet on our stairs as well. They were nice people.

I would think they would still close with no baseboards as long as you explain to them what your doing. All depends on the mortgage company though.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 AM

372 posts, read 1,089,769 times
If you want the flooring to be covered by the base boards, then yes the contractor will have to pull them off and install new base boards. The old baseboards will most likely not survive being pulled off. There should not be any damage to the walls if they have to pull the baseboards. The nails are usually very small and come out easily. Or they can do what woodinvilleguy mentioned and install quarter round that nails into the baseboard to cover the gap. We installed Pergo flooring in our house and used quarter round. It looks nice but not quite as clean as new baseboard over the floor. I don't think the builder can sell the house to you without completing the house which includes the baseboard.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM

439 posts, read 1,192,412 times
Keep us updated on what who you decided to use. We need to hire someone too

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM

78,881 posts, read 43,579,215 times
If the home is not finished, a mortgage company won't go to close. If your paying cash, you can do what ever you wish.

I like to pull the baseboards for a cleaner look, and the full baseboards are exposed. Sometimes that is not feasible, as the baseboards that were going to be removed match the height of adjoining base, and a step up at a corner will look very funny.

If your going over concrete, look for an engineered wood, as they are more stable where moisture is involved, and concrete will always emit moisture vapors. Vapors cannot be seen or felt.

I do wood floors, based out of SW Austin. NWFA certified and not just a member. The companies you listed are all competitive in quality, price and service.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM

7,749 posts, read 9,109,653 times
Best (and most econimical) thing to do is leave the baseboards and have the flooring folks put quarter round molding over them. The floors will expand and contract, so they can't be flush against the wall or baseboards anyway. The quarter round hides the small gap and looks really good. You can either get quarter round to match the floors or pre-primed that you can paint to match the baseboard.

BTW, you are doing the best thing. When we were looking at houses, a rep from Newmark flat-out told us to do exactly what you are doing because they charge so much for wood floors.

We used Austin Hardwood Flooring and loved them. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,577,051 times
I understand your situation, I think it is sort of sad though that the home building company is going to lay carpet that you are IMMEDIATELY going to pull up and discard. It seems so wasteful. I know they are probably forcing you to do that. It sucks that that capret is going to end up in a landfill.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

72 posts, read 202,007 times
Default Don't pitch the carpet

We did the same thing as your looking at doing. We didn't throw the carpet away. I was able to donate it to Habitat Restore - we never lived in the house after it was installed.

I have also known others to post it on craigslist. You'd be amazed at the bites you'll get for a couple of hundred square feet of new carpet.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 5,810,564 times
We also donated it to Habitat for humanity. In williamson county they will even come pick it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin